Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
dcountiss
AF Newbie

Unhappy Driver side power window not working

I have a 2000 Tahoe ("New Body Style") that the driver side window just quit working the other day. No sounds coming from the window, it doesn't even try to go up and down. All of the other windows can be controlled from the master switch, just not the driver's window. If I apply 12 volts to the motor, it goes up and down. I checked for voltage at the connector to the motor, and nothing happens when I opersate the switch. Thought the switch might be bad, so I replaced it with a new master switch. Now I have a nice lighted switch, but no response from the window. Any idea how to troubleshoot the door wire harness?
dcountiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Driver side power window not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcountiss View Post
I have a 2000 Tahoe ("New Body Style") that the driver side window just quit working the other day. No sounds coming from the window, it doesn't even try to go up and down. All of the other windows can be controlled from the master switch, just not the driver's window. If I apply 12 volts to the motor, it goes up and down. I checked for voltage at the connector to the motor, and nothing happens when I opersate the switch. Thought the switch might be bad, so I replaced it with a new master switch. Now I have a nice lighted switch, but no response from the window. Any idea how to troubleshoot the door wire harness?
since the driver door switch has 12 volts to it and the driver door window is the only one not working with a new switch I would check that the wire from the master switch to the window motor is open.could be at the connector ends. was this door ever in the body shop ?
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
dcountiss
AF Newbie

I checked from the switch to the motor, no open wires, no shorts that I can find.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I checked from the switch to the motor, no open wires, no shorts that I can find.
look for the 12volts at the switch pin when you operate the switch.

did you also check the return ground wire ?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
dcountiss
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
look for the 12volts at the switch pin when you operate the switch.

did you also check the return ground wire ?
What color are these wires?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
What color are these wires?
the wires at the driver door window motor have color correct ???? follow those wires back to the driver door window control switch .. make sure both are good and use your meter to check.measure at swith that you get 12 volts and a ground return so that you are sure those wires are good.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
dcountiss
AF Newbie

Quote:
the wires at the driver door window motor have color correct ???? follow those wires back to the driver door window control switch .. make sure both are good and use your meter to check.measure at swith that you get 12 volts and a ground return so that you are sure those wires are good.
I probably won't be able to get back into it until this weekend, but I will check the wiring and let you know what I find.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
dcountiss
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Driver side power window not working

Quote:
I probably won't be able to get back into it until this weekend, but I will check the wiring and let you know what I find.
OK, so I spent the afternoon with the door panel off. Can't find 12 volts coming from the switch, but everything except the driver's window works fine. First, I though it was the switch, so I replaced it. Didn't fix it, but I had forgetten what the lighted switch looked like since it had been so long since the light worked.

I couldn't find any open wires, traced everything back to the block on the fuse panel. I did verify that the motor was OK, took it out and ran it from the passenger door switch without any problem. Did the same with the passenger motor on the driver side, did not work, just like the original driver side motor.

Getting a little frustrated.at this point, but not ready to give up and take it to a dealer.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
OK, so I spent the afternoon with the door panel off. Can't find 12 volts coming from the switch, but everything except the driver's window works fine. First, I though it was the switch, so I replaced it. Didn't fix it, but I had forgetten what the lighted switch looked like since it had been so long since the light worked.

I couldn't find any open wires, traced everything back to the block on the fuse panel. I did verify that the motor was OK, took it out and ran it from the passenger door switch without any problem. Did the same with the passenger motor on the driver side, did not work, just like the original driver side motor.

Getting a little frustrated.at this point, but not ready to give up and take it to a dealer.
THE SWITCH HAS 12 VOLTS TO IT. the other windows work from this switch.

If the 12 volts is not at the switch wire going to the door window motor that does not work then the switch is bad or the connector at the door switch going to the door window motor is open.

when you push on the door window switch measure for 12 volts with your meter using a good ground .measure both sides of the motor of this door window to see if you have 12 volts on both wires. also measure at the switch where the wires go to this window motor .
Old 07-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
dcountiss
AF Newbie

Quote:
THE SWITCH HAS 12 VOLTS TO IT. the other windows work from this switch.

If the 12 volts is not at the switch wire going to the door window motor that does not work then the switch is bad or the connector at the door switch going to the door window motor is open.

when you push on the door window switch measure for 12 volts with your meter using a good ground .measure both sides of the motor of this door window to see if you have 12 volts on both wires. also measure at the switch where the wires go to this window motor .
When I check one of the orange wires, I do have 12 volts to the switch. The other orange wire seems to go to the mirror switch, which by the way is the only other thing that does not work all of the time. The main ground to the switch also appears to be good. I have read that the driver side window is operated differently from the other windows, could the inoperative mirror switch be affecting the driver's window?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
j cAT
AF Fanatic

the mirror does not work because the control pad needs cleaning. this is just like a tv remote control. take it apart and very carefully clean those pad contacts with some alcohol and a Q tip.

on the door window with 12 volts at the door master switch the driver door window motor not working and your not able to figure it out is weird . not much there to get that complicated.

using a volt / ohm meter this should be a quick fix.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
dcountiss
AF Newbie

Quote:
the mirror does not work because the control pad needs cleaning. this is just like a tv remote control. take it apart and very carefully clean those pad contacts with some alcohol and a Q tip.

on the door window with 12 volts at the door master switch the driver door window motor not working and your not able to figure it out is weird . not much there to get that complicated.

using a volt / ohm meter this should be a quick fix.
Next time I get a chance, I will clean the mirror switch as you suggest. Then, I am thinking about taking the entire door harness out and just going point to point one wire at a time with the meter.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #13
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Next time I get a chance, I will clean the mirror switch as you suggest. Then, I am thinking about taking the entire door harness out and just going point to point one wire at a time with the meter.
sounds good. when probing the wires use a sewing needle to stab the wire insulation . then use some liquid tape on the pin hole when done to seal.

post back what you found.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
dcountiss
AF Newbie

Red face Re: Driver side power window not working

Quote:
sounds good. when probing the wires use a sewing needle to stab the wire insulation . then use some liquid tape on the pin hole when done to seal.

post back what you found.
OK, so here it is now - I found the issue. The dark green wire (RAP) to the switch was cut at the door / a-pillar junction. Connecting a jumper here allowed the window to function normally. Now, do I repair this wire, or just buy a new door harness? At 340K miles, that may just be the first of many wires in that door harness that are ready to give up.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
OK, so here it is now - I found the issue. The dark green wire (RAP) to the switch was cut at the door / a-pillar junction. Connecting a jumper here allowed the window to function normally. Now, do I repair this wire, or just buy a new door harness? At 340K miles, that may just be the first of many wires in that door harness that are ready to give up.
repair this with some solder and seal the joint with heat shrink . radio shack has this .

from time to time this will occur. replacing a wire harness is not what would be done with repair issues like this.

good luck with your repair . good job.