Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
monmon45
AF Newbie

wipers won't go into park

Hi All. I just changed my front wiper motor. The wipers work but when I turn them off they don't go into the park position. They do go down just not into park. Any ideas?
monmon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
sergeimoskva
AF Newbie

Re: wipers won't go into park

Hi !
First thing I would try is a spray White Grease on all the contact surfaces.
Secondly - when windscreen wiper are in pause mode look at this picture and first see if the metal tab on the wiper structure is not bent and that it is within the measurement of 4 to 8 mil . If the metal tab is bent where the little parking tab can not lock into it then bend the metal tab back . Also make sure the parking tab on the wiper crank arm as seen to the left in this picture is not broken .

If the tab is not bent and the tab on the wiper crank arm is not broken or damaged then it has to not be within the spec listed. Loosen the torx bolt and move the crank arm and move it so the tab to the left is within the measurement that is all that parks these arms is that tab so its one of the 3 not allowing the arms to park.
sergeimoskva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
LMP
AF Enthusiast

OK. First tell why you changed the motor.....it may have an impact on the reply to your question
2nd specify what year your car.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
monmon45
AF Newbie

After the ice storm last winter my wife tried to use the wipers. After that they only worked on the high setting. The problem was diagnosed as the wiper motor. The year is 2001.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:59 AM   #5
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Not my model. Please report when solved.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by monmon45 View Post
Hi All. I just changed my front wiper motor. The wipers work but when I turn them off they don't go into the park position. They do go down just not into park. Any ideas?
I just did this recently. I had trouble getting it to work. But trial and error prevailed. The concept is like this: With the motor disconnected from the wipers, you have to get the motor in a known position and then you have to park the wipers in its known position manually, then connect them together. The motor does not know that it is disconnected from the wipers and will do what it is supposed to anyways. I found that I could not get them connected when parked, but could connect them when up, paused while set to intermittent. So there is a lot of playing around with it. The wiper motor has a spline on its output shaft and can fit into the wiper transmission in many ways. I think only one works. You turn the wipers on intermittent and get them paused. Then you turn them off and see how they park. If they don't park correctly, then you get them back to paused and TURN THE KEY OFF and disconnect the motor from the assembly with that Torx screw mentioned in another post. You move the assembly one spline in one direction or another and tighten the torx and retry it. Repeat until it works. That's how I did it. It's really weird how it behaves so goofy when attached one way, and then you move to the very next spline and it works great.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
monmon45
AF Newbie

I'm still trying. Found this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_TBkMTN42I still no luck.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette