Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Datsun > 510
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
93formula
AF Newbie

need help with 81 datsun 510 wagon

this car is my fathers car, hes owned it since 82, the car has run great up untill this past week, wierd, loud clicking noise comming from the transmission area.

diagnosed by two different mechanics as tranny with blown bearings in the first gear. what gets me is that even in neutral, when the car is idling with the clutch disengaged, it makes this click click click noise, its pretty loud actually. when you try to drive it drives fine, but the noise gets louder and faster as the car moves faster, it seems to make the most noise in first, but still some noise in other gears as well.

clutch and pressure plate is 16 years old and still grabs, i thought it may be the pressure plate springs, but the mechanics say the tranny needs a rebuild or replacing.

so my question is will other year or model transmissions fit this car? does anyone know what may be wrong from the symptoms i posted?

the car is 81 datsun 510 wagon, its a 2 litre with a 4 speed manual, and it has 8 sparkplugs, which was new to me never seen a 4 cylinder with 8 sparkplugs. vin is jn1ht0556bx125957 incase anyone can decipher what engine this car is equipped with.
93formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
dimefury
AF Regular

Re: need help with 81 datsun 510 wagon

this reply is probably a little late, but i have some of the info you were looking for.

your engine is a Z20,
its bottom end is very simmilar to the L-series engines and has the same transmission mounting bolt pattern. most datsun transmissions will fit. look for cars that have L or Z series engines and thier transmissions will be able to mount to the back of the engine, whether or not the length of the trans (and therefore your driveshaft) will be the same and if the trans crossmember will be the same will be the big questions. you are going to have to do some research. nissan makes thier engine identification easy, it is usually on a plate in the engine compartment.

the 8 plug thing was done for emissions. nissan did it in thier Z and CA series engines, ford did it in the 2.3L 4cyl. mustang.

sorry, i'm no tranny tech. i might be able to figure it out if i had the car in front of me, but i can't diagnose a transmission noise complaint without hearing it.

if two independent (from different shops) mechanics diagnosed it the same, they could be right.

again, sorry it took so long, and good luck.
dimefury is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Datsun > 510