Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Freestar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
fantastic
AF Regular

DIY Oil Change '04 Freestar

Just thought I would post a Do It Yourself oil change process as I did it tonight. Some might be on the fence about doing it themselves so maybe this will give you the courage to do it

I have a 2004 Freestar SEL 180,000kms.

What you need for this job is:

-A jack and stands(use on proper surface NOT GRASS) or a set of drive on ramps

-A 15mil wrench (or socket)

-A new oil filter

-5 Litres of new oil (5W-20)

-A bucket or deep tray to catch the oil

-Rags or paper towel

-A 3'x3' piece of cardboard (optional just to lay on the garage floor in case you spill)

-Some tunes on in the background

Here is my wrench

Here is the filter

Here is the oil I used

Ok lets get into this.... Pop the hood and locate the oil cap(where you put new oil in) and the oil dip stick(used to check the level of oil in your van)

Unscrew the oil cap and pull the dip stick up almost all the way out

Jack up the van, place the cardboard down and place the jack stands(MAKE SURE THE STANDS ARE LOCKED AND IN A PROPER SPOT)

Place your bucket or tray under the area of the oil filter

Reach up into where the oil filter is, grab ahold, begin to turn counter clockwise and you filter will begin to move.

The oil will start to come out and will run off the filter and fall down into your tray. Some will also flow on to the frame and drip there. NOTE: Where I have my jack stand is where the oil flows. I normally put my stands further back(to the rear) but this time I changed it up and made a little mess

Once you unscrew the filter set it into your tray... It will still have oil in it

Now locate your oil pan drain plug. I am pointing to it in this pic

Get your wrench or socket and remove the drain plug(its just a bolt with rubber around the end)

Here is a pic of the oil actually draining. Note how far it actually shoots out from the oil pan and the other oil falling as well. This has happened everytime I have changed the oil on this van so just make sure your tray is big enough or that you placed cardboard down to catch the mess

While the oil drains (5 mins) take a look at your dran plug. Make sure the rubber is in good shape and that the head isn't showing signs of stripping. If there are issues you might want to run to the auto shop and get a replacment(of course you'll need a ride as you can't drive the van at this point)

All the old is gone now so time to set up for the new...Which is going in reverse. Replace your oil drain plug and tighten it back up(snug is fine dont crank the heck out of it as you can damage the rubber)

Next fill up your new oil filter with some oil (1/2 way), dip your finger in some new oil and rub some on the rubber gasket around the top of the filter

Screw the new filter on. My filter calls for a 3/4 turn once it starts to get snug. Other filter can call for different amounts. Generally I use the same idea as the iol drain plug, snug and tight not over kill

Grab your funnel and insert it into where you unscrewed the oil cap and start pouring new oil in

Around this point of the fill I stop and check the dip stick. Once I am in the operating level (checkered pattern on stick) I start the van for 10 seconds and shut it back off. This just ensures the filter fills up with oil

Dip stick level just in the operating range

Add the rest of the oil

Check the final level of the oil using the dip stick

Screw the oil cap back on and reinsert the dip stick

You're done!! wait a minute... What to do with this old oil filter and oil??
Use the empty new jug, get your funnel and dump it in there. You old filter can be drained, wiped up and placed in the new filter box.

Eventually, take it to a hazardous waste site. In my area it costs me 10 cents a litre to get rid of it.

That should cover an oil change. Thanks for looking

Last edited by fantastic; 01-02-2013 at 09:56 AM.
fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Freestar