Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > MPV
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
largo703
AF Newbie

98 MPV oil leak

Does anyone know , how to repair the leak in the back of the engine? This is on the left side , oil drips onto the manifold shield and burn on it.This is a frequent problem for MPVs, maybe someone here has some experience with it...

thanks

L.
largo703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:31 AM   #2
Mannys65
AF Newbie

Re: 98 MPV oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by largo703
Does anyone know , how to repair the leak in the back of the engine? This is on the left side , oil drips onto the manifold shield and burn on it.This is a frequent problem for MPVs, maybe someone here has some experience with it...

thanks

L.
Please let me know if you find a solution. I have a 94 MPV with the same problem....
Mannys65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
Mike(nj)
AF Newbie

Our 2001 has done it sense new........biggest POS ever. We took it to the dealer at least 5 times and gave up. I'll NEVER buy a Mazda again!!!
Mike(nj) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
bosoxx
AF Newbie

i have a 1998 mazda mpv with an oil leak on backside of engine. the leak is coming from the base of a metallic elbow that connects to the top of the engine. the pcv valve connects into this elbow. three mechanics have tried and have no idea how to repair it. any ideas?
bosoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:29 AM   #5
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Have any of you folks with the engine oil leak on the upper rear, ... removed and inspected the upper intake manifold?

The reason I ask: My daughter's 2000 began running terrible. After doing the normal "plugs, wires, etc", no change ... in desperation I removed the intake manifold. The intake manifold was loaded with oily gunk and the EGR veins were totally plugged ... but no codes. I cleaned it all out and also replaced the loaded air filter ... which I think was the beginning of the problem. I believe a screwed EGR system could lead to leaks out of the crankcase.

After 10K miles, I did a follow up inspection ... all is well.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
redbaron1
AF Newbie

the elbow has oring that needs to be replaced. you must remove the pleneum & valve cover to remove the elbow it will not clear the valve cover. replace the valve cover gaskets to be on the safe side.
redbaron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
LRB_42001
AF Newbie

I changed the valve cover gasket last weekend thinking it would stop a similiar oil leak. Found out aftrewards it is the elbow you discribed.

Any idea on the size of this o-ring. Have a large supply of non-automotive orings at work if I knew the size.

If not, what should I ask for at the autoparts store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron1
the elbow has oring that needs to be replaced. you must remove the pleneum & valve cover to remove the elbow it will not clear the valve cover. replace the valve cover gaskets to be on the safe side.
LRB_42001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:59 AM   #8
largo703
AF Newbie

I don't know, it was done by a mechanic but this should be a common o-ring. I would ask at a store, it should be inexpensive.

L.
largo703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
frogmore
AF Newbie

My daughter's 96 MPV is leaking oil like a seive. I read with interest the posts to date but have a couple of questions:
  • What do you guys call "left"? - is that the passenger side or the driver"s side?
  • The elbow reffered to is not, I gather, the plug on the engine near the firewall on the passenger side that seems to go nowhere and is assumed by my mechanic to be a plug to replace an ealier fitting that is no longer used without redoing the block.
Any help appreciated. My mechanic mystified and reduced to using black light dye.
frogmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
sterling14fan2006
AF Newbie

Cool Re: 98 MPV oil leak

I was told by a very reputable person that the only wat to fix it is to pull the engine or just reach to the back of the head and put some hi temp rtv on the freezeout plug to stop the leaking because mine used to do that until I put rtv on it but mine was on the right side

Quote:
Quote:

thanks

L.
sterling14fan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
sterling14fan2006
AF Newbie

anyone know anything about the engine codes this pos is throwing at me it shows P1345 ubndefined code can someone help me please!!!
sterling14fan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
StealthSonic
AF Regular

i have 98 MPV 3.0l with exact problem. i replaced valve cover gaskets and grommets topped it with rtv, didnt fix it. Next I replaced the o-ring by the elbow hose at the back and seal it with rtv also and thats not the problem. Lastly I took out a plastic cap? To the left of the elbow hose and reseal it with rtv, not the problem. i finally took the valve cover off again for the 5th day and inspect the cover, there's a fine crack on it next to the last bolt hole. i tried to cover the crack with rtv but failed. Still smokin but less than before.

Clean the cover and inspect for cracks, a lesson learned. Now this part is quite hard to get online
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #13
StealthSonic
AF Regular

JB Weld seems to be holding the crack very well. It has been on there for about a month now.

I also found out why the engine cover cracks. The water pump's breather hole was leaking coolant and causes engine temp to go up but not high enough to cause it to overheat. Check the fan clutch to make sure you get resistance when turning it by hand and replace new water pump and while at it, replace the thermostat also and seals both new parts with gasket sealers.

She's been running great so far with 140k mi.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > MPV