Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:32 AM   #1
Elk1007
Ridin Dirty

Question [2001 Galant ES] Crankshaft Position sensor

My galant suddenly died on the highway. An OBD-II scan throws error P0335 (Crankshaft position sensor circuit A). I checked the connector with a multimeter, and the power and ground wires are fine.

I don't know how to check the sensor signal wire without an oscilloscope.
How can I do this with a multimeter?

Also, if I do have to replace the CPK sensor, will I have to remove the timing belt?

In this tutorial, they take off the accessory belts and the crankshaft pully, but the sensor (which is under the lower timing belt cover) seems like it can be replaced without modifying the timing belts at all.

Any input is truly appreciated, and this is a lot of work to replace one sensor

UPDATE:

So I'm nearly done with the job and figured I'd update this for inquiring minds.

The space between the belt and the surrounding metal is less than a centimeter. I was able to get the old CPK sensor out (barely) without removing the belt. The new sensor, however, would have been damaged if I did this in reverse. So I clipped the sensor wires about 3/4 toward the plug, ran the wire through, and then retwisted/electrical taped the plug on the other end.

This is the only way to replace the CPK sensor without removing the timing belt.

btw, the reason the sensor failed is because the mechanic who replaced the belt didn't clip the sensor wires into the mounted clip, and the belt rubbed through the signal wire!

Last edited by Elk1007; 03-23-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Elk1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant