Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 12:24 PM   #1
k2nride
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to k2nride
spark plugs

this is my first post and i dont know anything about engines and how they work. ive heard of people that replace spark plugs to increase horsepower. what are the best spark plugs to get. how much hp do they add?
k2nride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 06:14 PM   #2
Seabass
AF Newbie

I personally have a simply belief in the whole sparkplug thing.....I think it's all BS.

All my Fords get Copper Motorcraft plugs. I've never had plug problems. I currently run 2 ranges colder in my Bird and the Cougar has stock plugs replaced 10K again.

Alot of turbo'd import guys like NGK plugs and that's what I used to run in my Turbo'd AWD Talon.

All those 4+ whatever plugs are a waste of money. Electricity takes the path of least resistance...so your still only getting spark on one.

Platinum....If you don't do much to your car performance wise (and I'm talking like....atleast 100HP more than you had stock) and your plugs are really hard to change (more than 1.5 hours) then go ahead and get them so you don't have to change them often. For performance....COPPER. Copper is till the second best conductor in the world....second only to Silver.

Now you have those iridium plugs. Still BS to me. They are expensive as hell and they don't actually create more power. They simply are less prone to miss. They made more power on the dyno, but only because they raised boost on the Lightning (MM&FF).

Now you can gain power from your plug gap...but don't go too big...espcially on forced induction. I run .054" on the Bird while N/A. Once I go blown it's going down, even though I'm getting an ignition.

Seabass
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical