Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Rio | Rio Cinco | Pride
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #31
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Re: Door stuck

The latch also has a crappy plastic lock setup. The lock moves a lever into and out of a position that moves the lever that unlatches the door. Being plastic it breaks after a few years and it becomes impossible to unlatch the door without removing the door panel and doing it manually.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:49 AM   #32
trevor123
AF Newbie

thanks rfbqwerty- your method really helped me.

I managed to get the door open using wire with a bit of a hook, then i actually pushed down on the latch with the wire. At the same time, i lifted the door lock, then it opened.

Then i pulled out the locking mechanism and fixed the broken spring.

it took me about 2 hours, but thats just because i dont know alot about cars
trevor123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #33
kr2002
AF Newbie

I have a 2002 kia rio with manual locks. My driver's side door is stuck shut. I also had this problem with my rear passenger door due to the latch screws coming loose. I now tighten the screws and lubricate the latches regularly. Unfortunately when I was attempting to get the driver's door open I used a pair visegrips to pull up on the lock pin and I broke it. I ordered a new latch/lock pin assembly $52 from kia and new scews $?. I will be climbing through the passenger side until all the parts arrive. I appreciate everyone previous experience with this problem. I will be able to use your advise to get the door open when the time comes!
kr2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #34
BlackDragon888
AF Newbie

If the internal lock is stuck,

1) Insert your key , turn it anti-clockwise and hold it.
2) Pull the door handle. It should work.

There is no need to remove the panels. Any wrong application in resolving such simple issues is akin to turning the ceiling instead of the fan to get wind.
BlackDragon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #35
dankosh
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Door stuck

Thank you all for this amazing post. Viva Internet. I have to admint it took me a few readings as English is my second language. Finally I fixed the issue.

First, I opened with a cloth hanger as specified by rfbqwerty. Had to redo this procedure three times as my wife did push the button manually by mistake. Got tired of it and my last time was yesterday when I decided to open the door panel and installed a new spring to the mechanism. It cost me $4 (canadian dollars) at Lowes. ...

Attached are three pictures where you can see the newly installed spring. A picture is worth a thousand words!

Hope it helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (63.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (57.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.JPG (51.8 KB, 66 views)
dankosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dankosh For This Useful Post:
grieve (11-09-2012), teresacera (06-08-2012), vince2010 (05-05-2015)
Old 12-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #36
fworkman
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Door stuck

I registered for this forum for the main purpose of thanking rfbqwerty

I used your method to unlock this door that has caused me great grief. My wife is now happy and I look like a hero. Thank you rfbqwerty!!

I will pull the door panel on our 2002 Kia Rio Cinco in a couple of days. Now my wife can enter and exit via the driver's door.

Thanks again rfbqwerty and I hope you have many blessed day for helping others in need.
fworkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #37
JustinLogue
AF Newbie

I have this same problem with a 2003 Rio Cinco,manual locks and windows. Does any one have any pictures of this faulty spring and how it is supposed to go so I can fix mine? I got the doors open, ijust need to know what to fix now. Thanks!

EDIT- LOL, nevermind. After registering I was able to see the pics some one else posted. I got what I needed now, THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by JustinLogue; 02-08-2013 at 07:44 AM.
JustinLogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 AM   #38
tnlp62
AF Newbie

i have a 2003 Kia Sedona with the same problem with the drivers door. But my locks are powered. The outside lock will lock all of the doors but not open. The inside power locks open all the other doors but not the driverʻs. Pulling on the outside handle feels like if the door was locked. I was told by a mechanic friend to take out the drivers seat and the panel between the front and back sliding door. But he said that with all of that, it might not work either. Anyone with any suggestions is greatly appreciated. BTW is this a Kia thing?
tnlp62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #39
colonelron
AF Newbie

I have a similar problem with an 05 Rio. My driver door lock will not unlock. Has been like that since someone ripped the lock cylinder out of the door. A locksmith rebuilt the cylinder and put it back in but if I lock the door it takes many tries to unlock it.It has gotten to where I removed the inside lock button and put duck tape over the cylinder. What could be causing the lock to refuse to disengage? I would like to trade it in but know a brokjen lock will hurt the value.
colonelron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #40
IsuzuRodeo2001
AF Newbie

I have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe with a stuck passenger door. It just stopped working. You can pull the handles inside and/or out and the door does not open. I think they must use the same wimpy spring as the Kia does. I've tried to pull and push on things inside the door using a bent clothes hanger wire, but so far nothing. I just reread all of the comments and will try to kick open the door from the inside with the handles held in open position.
The dealer said $300 not including needing to destroy the inside panel in order to remove it. For now I would rather explore cheaper options as it is not urgent - but would be VERY nice....
IsuzuRodeo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #41
vince2010
AF Newbie

Spring rotates arm with plastic washer up which is attached to door handle extension arm (yellow). A screw holds black cover. Rubber band temporarily used to replace broken spring.

Door hand yellow rod end (top). The x
x
x
x
x
x ------------ another arm
white washer x xx x x xx x 90 degree elbow
_____________________x
_____________________x
_____________________x
_____________________x
_____________________x
_____________________S
_____________________P
_____________________R
_____________________I
_____________________N
_____________________G

Pulling door handle may cause the plastic washer to move up.

Last edited by vince2010; 05-05-2015 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Picture did not upload and spaces truncated.
vince2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #42
Dante63
AF Newbie

I am having the same problem but i can't figure out what lever rfbqwerty refers to.
Dante63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #43
Dante63
AF Newbie

I can see one of the slots where the spring should be, but i can't see the other end because a plastic covers it and i can't remove it.

Edit: I was able to open the door. It was a process because the lock mechanism which is made of plastic had broken, so i had to cut an opening in the door panel as i was not able to manually operate the mechanism using a wire. The plastic parts were broken and stuck. The outer handle and key don't work and the inner door handle was not raising the lever enough.

I had to replace the spring and bend the handle's rod so that it would raise the lever high enough for the latch to release. The spring breaking causes most of this problem but the cheap plastic parts in the mechanism only make the system more fragile.

Last edited by Dante63; 08-11-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Dante63 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Rio | Rio Cinco | Pride