Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Alf_001
AF Newbie

Taurus lx 1996 V6 ___ OD/OFF and speedometer stops working frequently

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum. Great to have this type of forum.

I have a Taurus 1996 V6 LX (I think the transmission is AX4N as in the tag in the driver door below the TR there is the letter X (followed by GGKK if I remember well)). My concerns:

1) OD/OFF light is blinking after a few miles (not every time but almost), press the small button in the gear selector does not turn it off)

2) Speedometer needle goes to zero and changing gear in low gears is generally difficult

I think this is a problem with the VSS for the 2nd concern, but do you think the OD/OFF light could be related? What do you suggest me?

Thank you!
Alf_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Taurus lx 1996 V6 ___ OD/OFF and speedometer stops working frequently

The OD/Off light flashing it the trasnmission's way of alerting you to an issue that has triggered a diagnostic code. Find a shop or friend that has a professional grade scan tool and check the transmission diagnostic codes. A standard commercial grade scan tool will likely not be able to access the transmission diagnostic codes.

There is a chance a speed sensor is causing both issues.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
Alf_001
AF Newbie

Hi Rod,

Thank you!

I have read your other answers to Vilita (of 2008) related to the VSS.

Very good advice.

Thanks again.

Alf_001
Old 09-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
Alf_001
AF Newbie

Hello Rod,
Do you think this tool will be able to access the transmission diagnostic codes. It is on sale right now in a local store in Canada

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ob...1030p.html#srp

Here is it in the manufacturer website
http://innova.com/en-US/Product/Detail/3100g

Many thanks!

Alf_001
Old 09-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

I don't see anything in the documentation to suggest that that scan tool will be able to access transmission diagnostic codes. You're probably going to need something in the $500 or up range to get that access.

-Rod
Old 09-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Alf_001
AF Newbie

Thank you Rod!
Old 09-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
Alf_001
AF Newbie

Thanks again Shorod for your advice. Was a bit busy with other stuff these days. Finally, I had a chance today to scan the car at a garage (the garage used a Launch CreaderV+). The only code it displayed was: P0500 and it was explicitly displayed Vehicle Speed Sensor.

I don't know if it is powerful enough to extract all codes or if the VSS is the only faulty sensor.

What do you think?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
shorod
SHO No Mo

A faulty VSS would be a good suspect for at least the speedometer issue, so replacing it anyway is not likely to be a waste of money (although a bit more diagnostics could further improve the ability to confirm the VSS is bad). And if you have some luck, it will take care of the OD light as well.

So, yeah, if it were my vehicle, I'd likely start by replacing the VSS. I haven't looked at the manual for the 1996 recently, but the VSS is probably not too difficult to replace.

-Rod
Old 09-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #9
Alf_001
AF Newbie

Hello Shorod,
Thank you!
I have ordered the VSS. Two more things:
1) I forgot to mention that the scanner displayed ''Vehicle Speed Sensor A'', is there another that could be B?

This is the one I have ordered http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...318/18480803-P

Because, ion my driver door panel, below the T, there is the letter X (followed by GGKK if I remember), so I assume my transmission is a AX4N.

2) Actually, it difficult for me to locate the VSS. I tried what some owners of 1998 Taurus say about it, but was unable to find it yet. What does the 1996 manual say about its location? Could you please have a look for me?
Where is the best place to buy a repair manual.

Thank you!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
shorod
SHO No Mo

The description of the location of the VSS according to the service manual, is "Rear center of engine compartment, mounted on transaxle." I'm only aware of one VSS on the 1996. There are other speed sensors, such as shaft speed sensors and turbine speed sensor within the transmission, but those would not be considered a VSS.

For the P0500 diagnostic code, the service manual has a rather interesting note in the diagnostic subroutine:
"Note: Delayed engagement or no vehicle movement may be caused by a transmission concern. Harsh shifts and/or erratic speedometer may be caused by a failed speedometer or an open or intermittent ground within the instrument panel on vehicles with electronic readout."

Per this note, your issues could actually be due to a bad speedometer rather than a bad VSS. I suppose one way to test this theory could be to disconnect the cable from the VSS and leave the electrical connection on the VSS to see if the transmission shift concerns improve.

-Rod
Old 10-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
Alf_001
AF Newbie

Hello Shorod,

Thank you!

Finally, yesterday I had the chance to spend some time on the car and located the VSS. In my case, Taurus 1996, V6 Duratec 24 Valves, you can access it on the passenger side by following down a two-wire (kind of pink color for one) plug attached to a round black plastic stuff (like a cap) on top of the belts. you can feel it (not see it) close to a big and polished round stuff. There is (in my case) a cover on it (to protect it).

Now, I am unable to perform the test you suggested me using the speedometer cable. Because it appears that I do not have a speedometer cable (I confirmed this by removing the dashboard: only 3 plugs of many wires arrive in its back). I have an electronic speedometer (though display is not digital).

I did not remove the VSS yet because:1) I would like to know if there is a simple way to test such electronic speedo, and 2) it is also difficult (no room to work from the top; need a long extension to be able to apply enough torque to unscrew the 10 mm bolt).

Thanks again for your time spent on this and your advice!

Alf
Old 10-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #12
shorod
SHO No Mo

With the information that your car has the Duratec engine I'll take another look at the service manual to see what it says about replacing the VSS. Hopefully it has some info on that.

As for testing the electronic speedo, one thing you could try is use a scan tool or bluetooth dongle and phone app (such as Torque) to see if the PCM is getting a speed reading when the speedo is not registering speed. If the PCM registers the vehicle speed but the speedo does not, the issue is probably not the VSS. However, if neither the speedo nor the PCM register the vehicle speed, the VSS would be a very likely candidate for being at fault.

-Rod
Old 10-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
shorod
SHO No Mo

The service manual instructions are very generic with really no good images. Considering what is stated in step 3 below, it's understandable that you were having difficulty accessing the VSS and connector.

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) (Except SHO)
Removal and Installation
Disconnect battery ground cable (14301) and positive battery cable.
Raise and suitably support vehicle on hoist.
Refer to Section 00-02.
Remove three bolts, seven nuts and Y-pipe assembly from vehicle.
Disconnect vehicle speed sensor electrical connector.
Remove vehicle speed sensor retaining bolt and vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (9E731) from transaxle.

To install, reverse Removal procedure.
Tighten VSS retaining bolt to 3.4-4.5 Nm (31-39 lb-in).
Tighten Y-pipe assembly nuts and bolts to 34-46 Nm (26-34 lb-ft).
Old 11-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
Alf_001
AF Newbie

Hello Shorod,
Thank you!

I had some time to work on the car again. I found a way to remove the VSS retaining bolt using a flexible bar. Not easy but did it. I thought the job was done and had just to remove the VSS and install the new one. But, things got worse.
When I tried to pull out the VSS, only the black plastic head came, then the tail (see the attached picture). That seems the VSS was actually broken. The rest is stuck inside the tranny and does not want to come up (See the picture of a new complete VSS.)
When I tried to use the mounting bracket (it was hardly attached to the tranny due to rust) using plier, it came with parts of metal where it was attached to the Vss. In fact now there is nothing where I can grab the Vss even with a pliers to pull it off. Tried with screwdrivers inserted in the hole in the middle, applied a lot of torque, but it really did not move. It is like the section of the Vss that has the seal and is inside the tranny became literally one with it. The car is 20 years old (but was barely used, only 94 000 miles on it).
Do you have suggestion to remove the rest of the Vss? Did someone already face such situation and solve it (from the top of the car)?

Thanks again!

Alf

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon