Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
AppState09
AF Newbie

List of 10 possible classic "sleepers"

Hello everyone,

First off, I know the term "sleeper" is purely opinionated. My father and I restore and customize classic cars, and we decided to pick the top 10 classic "sleepers" to add to our collection. We usually have the publics opinion in terms of ideas, but for this one I would like to ask other car enthusiasts who actually know what a CLASSIC is.

Also, in terms of the car, we wanted to keep the initial price range of the vehicle under 20-25k.
For example: 1968/9 Dodge Charger costs quite a bit more than it's 1971/2 brother. Same goes for the Challenger.

A few that we've considered thus far are:

1975 Corvette
1969 AMC AMX
1970/1 Mustang Grande
1960 Galaxie Sunliner

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, this goal is already underway with the near completion of our 1966 Ford LTD.

Thanks to all for any info/suggestions. Will post pictures asap.
AppState09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: List of 10 possible classic "sleepers"

Interesting subject.
I call these "second-rate collectibles", that is, second-rate only in terms of collector appeal, not function.

Some of my favorite collectible cars fall into this category. I love the late '60's personal luxury cars, especially the 67-69 Thunderbird, which imo belongs on your list.

The 55-66 T-birds get all the collector attention, but the 67-69's ( and even up to '71) are better cars, but are worth less money.
These cars, especially the 68 and 69's have cool retro-spaceship looks, yet have full-on muscle car drivelines (429ci). They are fast, comfortable, cool, reasonably good-handling, easily modified and are excellent high-speed road cars.

I like the other personal luxury cars of the day, too like the 60's Riviera, Toronado, and the great 67-69 Eldorado.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
AppState09
AF Newbie

Very true in terms of the phrasing used ( 2nd rate ). Many of my personal favorites fall into this category. Our list is not so much for the Top 10 classics made, but good looking yet highly functional ( all engines will produce 450+hp ). There are a few rarer models such as a 69' Charger and 66' GTO...but those will more than likely be the last.

Dodge Dart and/or 70's model Monte Carlo worth it?
AppState09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
littleAngle89
AF Newbie

To be honest, I don't really know what do you mean by "sleepers"

AutoPartsTrain on-line coupons
littleAngle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
430-4
AF Newbie

we must be in 2 different universes. the only car on your list i would say has true sleeper status wuold be the 60 ford. in my world sleepers are cars that dont look or have any rep for performance but when there stomped on you have no idea what just happened as it dissapears in the distance. alot of 60's fords & mercs work good, buicks 64 & 65 skylarks if they look & sound stock, & one i've wanted to build myself is a 60 chevy impala though i'm not a typical chevy freak i think it would make a sweet sleeper. to the guy who digs the 67 -69 70 t birds RIGHT ON BROTHER!!! i have experience with these cars & they are killer. one of the coolest, most overlooked & underated monsters ever to grace the u.s. but dont tell anyone, i still want to pick up a few at resonable prices. just my opinions on the topics. ROAR ON !!!!!!!!!!!!
430-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
430-4
AF Newbie

sorry didnt notice the 66 ltd. now thats a sleeper if it rips. keep build'in em!!!!!
430-4 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars