Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts
Le Mans 1995 - your memories

So, with this being the 20th Anniversary year of #01R winning at Le Mans, what are your recollections / favourite snippets of info about that race; not just the fact that the Mclaren F1 GTR won, but anything - the speed at which JJ lapped in the night, in the rain; or the way it overtook #06R in the closing stages, how the cars managed to beat the more powerful classes to win, that kind of thing...

For me, it was hearing a guy, about 3 years ago, who was on the pit crew for #01R regale his stories about the entire weekend - the ups, the downs, the lack of sleep, the excitement, the noises, the smells, the atmosphere, etc.

Last edited by hurstg01; 01-30-2015 at 02:59 PM.
hurstg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hurstg01 For This Useful Post:
cabrio92 (01-23-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Sami Aaltonen
Re: Le Mans 1995 - your memories

For me, well I was only 15 years an old that time. And not much attention by the Finnish media that time also. Eurosport showed the Le Mans of course, but I did not managed to watch it; don't know why perhaps we were on holiday in Europe that time. That must be the reason, I don't remember that very well.

But immediately after the win; I knew GTR McLaren is Le Mans winner. Followed these cars from Eurosport that year and so on.
Then I read that race from Vauhdin Maailma Magazine (I have scanned those stories here also) and things started to go clear. I remember to be angry not to see that race on live.

So my feelings and memories are quite short unfortunately. That time I followed very closely Mika Hakkinen's career in McLaren and that Le Mans win was not really huge news here in Finland. Unfortunately.

And much later on; when I found this old passion again; the thing has become very clear; what JJ did that Le Mans is The Legend job. In the night, in the rain; 30 secs quicker than anyone else, taking the car to second place after night; the plan what Paul did to the race...All has become very clear, it was something very special what happened.

Fortunately later on also have been managed to collect some things about this Le Mans and so on. Coming Members Meeting in Goodwood next March I really hope finally to see #01R and the XP1 LM; perhaps even see Mr. Murray, Paul Lazante and so on, that would be very great. Even to take a long distance shot of these Legends.

----
Kuvat.fi -McLaren F1 GTR and many others!

Sami Aaltonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
F1GTRUeno
AF Regular

I was five at the time so I don't remember too much but I do remember watching snippets of it.

I've watched the race since on Youtube and the likes but not a lot from the actual time in 1995.

Funny though I remember vividly watching the last F1 race of 1993 (Australia, early morning, Senna won) and then all of the 1994 races including Senna dying and the tribute videos on the news afterwards and at the start of the Monaco GP coverage where I genuinely cried even though I knew little about him.
F1GTRUeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
PatrickT82
AF Enthusiast

I was 12 at that time and did not follow those races. In december 1995 I saw my first F1 and since that time it is my all time favourite
PatrickT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
LARK60
AF Newbie

Funny I have just been watching McLaren at Le-mans again on my old video. Such a great 40 minutes of entertainment.
I was 28 at the time and had just had my first encounter with the GTR, watching it race at Donnington about a month before Le-mans.
It was such a great time for car lovers. The line up was great with such a variety of cars, Ferrari,Jaguar,Porsche,Nissan,Venturi etc .The opening lap was great with all the cars swapping positions. Then the West fm car mixing it with the prototypes! One car faster on the straight,the other faster on the corners. Then the rain came,and every car seemed out of place except for the GTR. Even though everyone would have had wet tyres,they just seemed to go to pieces. It was fantastic that 5 of the seven cars finished.
Later I read in Autosport, there seemed to be a bit of upset from the Gulf team,that the winning team was virtually a factory backed team,not an independent. But what a fantastic debut from a car which had never raced 24 hours.
Wish I had been there. Currently trying to get as many cars from the race as I can in 1:43 models ,so I can never forget the great grid. Got about 16 sofar, but would proberbly never manage to get a full set now ! Too long since the race.
Roll on Goodwood 73 day. Think it will be a great line-up, just like Le-mans1995.
See some of you there. Cheers Greg
LARK60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LARK60 For This Useful Post:
hurstg01 (01-30-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #6
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

LARK60:

Fantastic memories! That was the reason also why I chated my father and mother around and managed to go with my Father in to that Helsinkis FIA GT1 race. The lineup of the cars, brands and those GTR's. I knew that time even before the weekend that this will be the once in the life time change to see these cars racing in Helsinki. I just someway knew that and I was right.

I remember also reading some things that someone asked during the Le Mans that what if the black car would win and not the official GTR teams but I somewhere read also that they said there "go go, if it can win it, nothing else mathers". And it did and it made the car to be a Ledend.

And you are going to Members Meeting?
Hope we could meet there then!

----

Old 01-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
LARK60
AF Newbie

There on Saturday,thanks to Greg who has got me a ticket. Have seen a few GTR,s with him over last few years. Sure a few forum guys will be at this great gathering of Mclarens
LARK60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LARK60 For This Useful Post:
hurstg01 (01-30-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #8
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARK60 View Post
There on Saturday,thanks to Greg who has got me a ticket. Have seen a few GTR,s with him over last few years. Sure a few forum guys will be at this great gathering of Mclarens
OK, hope to see you there then!
I try keep my foots down, but seems this will be very interesting show indeed.

----

Old 01-29-2015, 03:04 AM   #9
DogZy
AF Newbie

Video featuring Ray Bellm, beautiful video for you guys who are going to Goodwood in March.

You are aiming for just one sweet spot in the corner. It's the point where centrifugal and cornering forces reach their equilibrium, where they are all at once replaced with acceleration. APEX - The invisible vertex of a corner, a place where the fastest lap times are recorded.
DogZy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DogZy For This Useful Post:
LARK60 (01-30-2015), Peloton25 (01-29-2015), Sami Aaltonen (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 05:12 AM   #10
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

This clip really made my day perfect!

----

Old 01-30-2015, 12:04 AM   #11
mclarenman
AF Veteran

I was exactly 2 months old on the 17th of July 1995.

https://www.instagram.com/mclarenf1archive/
mclarenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #12
arjan916
AF Regular

Uhm, 1995, an age of 18 and fully committed to F1, which was the only real thing . . . stupid.
Visited one or two F1 races each year, untill some friends talked many times to go to Le Mans.
Which happened in 2003 for the first time eventely.
And what a shame I ignored endurance racing for such a long time.
Off course I knew about the Mac win, because I liked the road cars and followed the BPR and GT races on TV, but haven seen them racing for real
No 'live' LeMans memories for me, a big shame.

That changed, after 2003 I haven't missed a race, and have also been at a few test days.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Talking about that 1995 historic Le Mans, I read the 1995 Le Mans Yearbook this one night and found out this technical issues about GTRs in that race.

According to the book:

- Power output around 640hp with 1150kg weight of all GTR's.

Chassis #07R:
""...the two French teams, Giroix Competition and BBA opted for the carbon discs".
And then the team's specifiation:
"Steel brakes 4 piston calibers" (but where are those extra air intakes then? seen more #05R's front bumper.
So did it had carbon or steel brakes then?!

And about the fuel:
"..the fuel on its V12 engine was a synthesis of beetroot-derived alcohol"
So some kind of synthesis alcohol were used then?

Have anyone anything to say about this one, specialty the fuel and brakes...?

----

Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #14
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts

Chris_Coco (02-19-2015), Sami Aaltonen (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #15
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstg01 View Post
Good that you left it. !

...Nice to be a Finn.....again.

----

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1