Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eighty Eight Includes the '97-'98 Regency and '96-'99 LSS Models
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
TCHRISD
AF Regular

1996 LSS surging and stalling....

I have a '96 non-supercharged LSS. I recently bought it from an old lady (purchased about a month ago). It has 75k orig miles on it. Didn't have any mantainance record so I have just been trying to replace everything that I can think of just for the heck of it.
Problem is while in traffic seems to happen the most.... when I am kinda stopping and going the RPM's will rise to 1500-1800 and the car will want to drive while I am pressing down the brake. If I bring it to a complete stop the RPMs will come down after a few secs. It will stall sometimes. Sometimes like this morning I had only made it about 3 miles from home and on residential street it stalled. It will always start right back up.
things I have done so far: changed spark plug wires (was told the plugs were good), air filter, fuel filter, new starter, new tensioner pulley w/ new bypass tubes.
I wish I knew how to post a pic cuz it looks like someone may have put the wrong Mass airflow sensor on it.
Any info would help. (it doesn't die everytime I drive, kinda intermitten)
thanks
TCHRISD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1996 LSS surging and stalling....

What are the numbers on the MAF. Posting pics is easy, 1st you need to setup an account with an online host. Most use www.photobucket.com. It's free BTW.
Mickey#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
TCHRISD
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey#1 View Post
What are the numbers on the MAF. Posting pics is easy, 1st you need to setup an account with an online host. Most use www.photobucket.com. It's free BTW.
Nevermind. I am an idiot. I was looking at the EGR and thinking it was the MAF sensor. But would a bad MAF sensor be causing the problems I am having?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

It's possible that the MAF is the problem. You really need a scanner to check it properly but you can try unplugging it & see if it runs better. Vacuum leaks are a strong possiblity as well as the PCV valve. Try removing the oil filler cap & cover the opening with the palm of your hand. If you feel a strong vacuum then replace the PCV valve & repeat the test. Engine needs to be running while testing.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
moscow913
AF Newbie

I had a similar problem with a '94 I have. Would idle high (sometimes shoot up to 1500-1800rpm) at idle, and would also stall when I let off the gas while driving. Started back up every time.

Replaced the IAC (Idle Air Control) first, but that didn't fix it. Unplugged the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and the car ran fine. Replaced the TPS and haven't had the problem since.

Not saying it's your problem, but thought it worth mentioning. Good luck.
moscow913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
TCHRISD
AF Regular

Quote:
It's possible that the MAF is the problem. You really need a scanner to check it properly but you can try unplugging it & see if it runs better. Vacuum leaks are a strong possiblity as well as the PCV valve. Try removing the oil filler cap & cover the opening with the palm of your hand. If you feel a strong vacuum then replace the PCV valve & repeat the test. Engine needs to be running while testing.
well yesterday I changed the PCV valve and it really didn't seem to change anything. this morning was like a carbon copy of yesterday. Car died a couple miles from home. started right back up. then after about 20 miles of commuting and entering stop and go traffic the surging starts and died again. I took the MAF off yesterday and shot it with compressed air hoping that would do something like clean it. This car just started the dying in the morning this week. I have have had it for at least a couple week prior to this happening. Over the weekend I changed the fuel and air filter and change the spark plug wires. I dont think any of that would cause these current probs ... would they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscow913 View Post
I had a similar problem with a '94 I have. Would idle high (sometimes shoot up to 1500-1800rpm) at idle, and would also stall when I let off the gas while driving. Started back up every time.

Replaced the IAC (Idle Air Control) first, but that didn't fix it. Unplugged the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and the car ran fine. Replaced the TPS and haven't had the problem since.

Not saying it's your problem, but thought it worth mentioning. Good luck.
Thanks man. that sounds pretty similar to my problem. I will check this out also.
One thing i forgot to mention I believe this car was sitting around for a while prior to me buying it. Reason I changed the wires was it looked like an animal had been chewing on them. When I first remove the sight guard (?) there was all this stuff underneath it like a nest or something. LOL
Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

Did you try unplugging the MAF?
Double check that none of the spark plug wires got mixed up. Also make sure none of the wires are within a couple inches of the O2 sensor & wiring.

Examine all the vacuum lines & wiring for any damage from your furry friend.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
TCHRISD
AF Regular

Quote:
Did you try unplugging the MAF?
Double check that none of the spark plug wires got mixed up. Also make sure none of the wires are within a couple inches of the O2 sensor & wiring.

Examine all the vacuum lines & wiring for any damage from your furry friend.
No. didn't unplug the MAF. Can I unplug it and just drive around? Because it will usually start acting like this after driving for a little and will not surge if just idling in my driveway.
Actually, the wires may be close to that O2 sensor. I will check again.

BTW.... where do you add power steering fluid??? I was doing that stuff to it yesterday and it occured to me .. "where the hell it the power steering resevior?"

Last edited by TCHRISD; 03-23-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, it's ok to drive around with it unplugged. Some people report back that it ran like crap with the MAF unplugged & others notice an immediate improvement.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
TCHRISD
AF Regular

Quote:
Yeah, it's ok to drive around with it unplugged. Some people report back that it ran like crap with the MAF unplugged & others notice an immediate improvement.
well I unplugged it and seem to run worse. Idle didn't seem to know where to be. When plugged up it seemed to run better. Does this eliminate the MAF as the problem?
Also , now my check engine light is on.
I drove to work today and it was basically the same as it had been.
Yesterday I view the firing sequence on Autozones website. Weird thing is the numbers on the cylinders seem to be the same but on the coil thing my numbers are in different order. the part in my car has them labeled and they are in different order as the diagram from autozone. com. ?????
WTF... I went to lunch and my car wouldn't start. No cranking or anything but all the lights were on. Came back from lunch(walking) went to car and it started right up??????IDK

Last edited by TCHRISD; 03-24-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

Below is a pic that shows the proper coil locations & the numbering for the cylinders. The code you have is probably from having the MAF unplugged, that should clear in a few days. We really can't eliminate anything until it's fixed. Can you get a video of the engine idling?

Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
TCHRISD
AF Regular

Quote:
Below is a pic that shows the proper coil locations & the numbering for the cylinders. The code you have is probably from having the MAF unplugged, that should clear in a few days. We really can't eliminate anything until it's fixed. Can you get a video of the engine idling?

[/IMG][/url]
My plugs are just like the pic. Well I went and bought a new throttle position sensor. I replaced it and it seemed to run good. But wouldn't really know til the commute this morning. Well it didn't surge or die once on my way to work which is about 32-34miles. So I was all happy because I think i fixed the prob. well on my lunch break went to the bank and the RPM's started surging really high like 2500 and they didnt seem to want to come down. I had to turn the car off and restart it. drove back to work fine.
any ideas???
now that i have read about other cars surging ,i think it happens mostly on inclines. Does that usually indicate a certain thing?

Last edited by TCHRISD; 03-25-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
TCHRISD
AF Regular

i guess i spoke too soon. this morning it was up to its old tricks again, although the TPS seemed to help a bit. I died again after a couple miles away from the house and then it surged and stalled after about 25 miles. I wasn't on an incline though.
????/
Old 03-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

When does it stall? Just when coming to a stop, while cruising or both?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

We also need to know if you're losing any coolant or seeing excessive steam from the exhaust.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight