Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #211
Raikkobin
AF Regular

Re: Jordan 191

oh my god...um...well...ah...cough cough...um...I have nothing to say, unreal!
Raikkobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #212
flyonthewall
Car Mod guy

Send a message via ICQ to flyonthewall

Somehow I missed this thread. I'm glad I did though because because I've been able to enjoy the uninterupted progress for the past half hour.

Genius! Jay you are in every way the master model maker.
flyonthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #213
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Weather’s still pretty crap here in northern Germany so I’m having more modelling time during the bank holiday :-) I spent a lot of time on fiddling with wires and hoses. Not much to show in terms of pictures but I wanted to get them pretty accurate to the original. That’s quite tricky because you can’t just use shrink tube like on the real car.
Anyway…here’s what I did. I started by making the electronic boxes mostly from renshape and some etched parts.

They were then painted and detailed and mounted on the sidepods.
I also scratch built all the wiring using wires from various manufacturers and electronic connectors that I turned from aluminium. Some of the shrink tube is replicated from actual thin shrink tubing but mostly it’s black “Plasti-Dip” applied with a brush.
Here’s the wire loom for the left sidepod prior to installation.

In the next picture all the parts are installed already. It took quite some time and I had to be really careful not to break stuff off or mess everything up with too much glue…

Another view from a lower angle. The yellow markings on the wires are bits of decal.

The right sidepod is less cluttered. It was tricky nevertheless. Besides my own machined fittings I used some by R.B.Motion. I just “restocked” them. I will need quite a few more in the coming steps :-)

Now I just hope I won’t knock these parts off the sidepods all the time with the cowling. I already had serious trouble with it before mounting the parts…

Looks like there will be more wires in the next update… see you for that and thanks yet again for your comments!
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #214
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Gorgeous JayKay! My first thought is that the pictures with the harness installed were reference pics! Great work, thanks for such great inspiration.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #215
F1Tommy
AF Enthusiast

Always great to watch. I love the connectors.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo model contest-Chicago April 2011
F1Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:42 AM   #216
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Here’s a bit more progress with more wires :-)

First up is part of the ignition system. I had cut off the round blobs from the cylinder heads long ago. These were too small and wouldn’t have had the space to connect cables. So I built a new more detailed distributor cap from styrene rods ( already primered in the picture ). Since there are more cars in my stash with Cosworth HB engines I made some resin copies. For the wires I used black 0,4mm wire from Hiro and added the L-shaped plugs made from more styrene rods and wire.

After painting the distributor caps were put on etched base pieces and glued to the engine. Then I could connect the wires. Btw…if you ever use that Hiro wire check your glue with it first. That stuff tends to not stick to anything!? It took me some time in places until the super glue worked…

The next piece is a bit of an odd one. It’s a little tank for the engine. I don’t know what it does but it seems to be a Cosworth HB standard thing. The thing is, it’s nowhere to be seen in the Perfect Manual. However in the F1Modeling Schumacher Special there’s a picture of it from the Spa Race. That kind of tank can also be found on the Benettons of the following years. I kinda have doubts about that detail pic the more I look at it. It looks like a Jordan 191 but then there are a couple of things that are different from the other reference I have. Anyway I decided to build the thing. It’s a nice detail :-)
I turned it from aluminium and added the detailing from parts I made myself and some R.B.Motion fittings. The wire to the right is wrapped with some Bare Metal Foil “insulation”.

...and here are two pictures with the tank installed:

That’s it for now already. See you for more from the electrics and plumbing department next time :-)
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #217
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400 View Post
Gorgeous JayKay! My first thought is that the pictures with the harness installed were reference pics! Great work, thanks for such great inspiration.
Right. We read often as a gag but this time its is quite true. Bravo!
Old 05-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #218
guiwee
AF Regular

this is just incredible dude...when ur pics have people thinking its the real thing u know youre very very good modeler!!
guiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #219
turbothirtytwo
AF Regular

its made to watch and stare.its a top build
turbothirtytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #220
Raikkobin
AF Regular

The silver cylinder is a swirl pot assembly. It is for removing the air from the fuel if the pickup or pump is disturbed. Helps provide consistant fuel pressure and volume under extreme circumstances.
Raikkobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #221
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

What else can you say, but, my god that looks real. It does, it really looks like the 1:1 counterpart, amazing. Your definetly at the top

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #222
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Indisputably, you are a master of this craft.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #223
maxone
AF Newbie

Location: Verona, the city of Romeo&Juliet and "lesso con la pearà"

Hi jaykay, I want to rob a little bit of your time.

About this point:

I primed the parts and painted them Alclad Highly Polished Aluminium over a gloss black base. The radiator mesh is divided in two layers. The lower or inner layer has the typical zigzag pattern. This part received a wash to bring out the pattern a bit more. The overlay part just has a very thin horizontal grid. This was painted Alclad HPA as well to blend in with the painted radiator body. As a result the radiator mesh has more depth than a typical aftermarket etching part. Mine are also finer but they are really fragile and tricky to handle :-)
In the picture you see a finished assembly on the left side and the radiator on the right is awaiting the second layer etched part in front of it.

can you post an immage of the patterns you created to make a radiator like this? Or a more closely image? I want to copy them . Thanks.

I like your mind: the ways you can find out to solve the problems are very impressive and every time surprising. Thanks you to share your experiences with us.
maxone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #224
Zubski
AF Regular

What a nice car. Incredible work. Any progress on the build?
Zubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #225
zippernl
AF Newbie

I think i've watched this thread in a few days 5 times. I'm absolutely stunned by this great build
zippernl is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports