Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #121
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/8th Scratchbuild - Porsche RS60

Hi Puffyrs,

Most of the thin-walled tubes came from ordinary modelshops - usually dive into any of the shops when travelling around the UK and grab a whatever they have in stock -I think most of it is from K&S, but I'll check.

The thicker walled stuff is solid bar stock from a DIY store in the UK called B&Q! It comes in metre lengths as is very cheap, but doesn't machine too nicely eg. it's 'sticky' when turned on a lathe.

I cut the tube with an ordinary junior hacksaw then flat-sand the cut edges on varying grades of wet 'n dry paper. The K&S stuff is good as the stepped sizes allow you to fit them together tightly. It's also good for sanding the faces of small tubes that are to hard to hold. If I have say a 5mm long tube I fit a longer smaller tube inside which allows me to hold it vertically when I sand it. With a bit of planning it also allows you to sand both tubes at the same time!

Hope this all makes sense and give me a shout if you need more info!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #122
puffyrs
AF Regular

Thanks very much for your reply.
I'm starting to think about doing a big model.
Just making plans at the moment.
It may never happen.
I'm only in kent so not to far from you.
I may have to ask you some more questions at some point.

Thanks for your help.

Martin
puffyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #123
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Martin,

Kent??? You probably know about B&Q then - LOL! There was me convincing myself that there may just be a small town in Uraquay callled London (innit!)

I'm from Kent so manage to get down there now and then. What are you thinking of making? A 1/8th Stratos would be very nice!

Cheers for now,

John
Old 01-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #124
puffyrs
AF Regular

Hi John
Only a dream at the moment.
I'm not as skilled as yourself.
But thinking of using a Tamiya Lancia 037 rally RC body 1/10 scale and building up a detailed chassis and insides.
What do you think ?
Martin
Old 01-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #125
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffyrs View Post
Hi John
Only a dream at the moment.
I'm not as skilled as yourself.
But thinking of using a Tamiya Lancia 037 rally RC body 1/10 scale and building up a detailed chassis and insides.
What do you think ?
Martin
Great idea...it should last longer than the original if it's plastic, too! I'm allowed to take the mick after having once owned a chipped-up 16v Thema turbo (& in all honesty mine was rust free and fantastic fun).

I knew someone a while back (I think he was in my old Cinquecento club) who was scratch building a full size replica 037 - I'll try to track him down because he once had a set of plans. I remember he went on a day trip to Monaco just to measure a privately owned car.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #126
puffyrs
AF Regular

Hi
If you could get some plans that would be great.
I do have many detailed photos and some drawings but plans and measurements would help a great deal.

Thanks for your help.
I'm near Dartford in Kent.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #127
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Well, not too much to report...been moulding little bits and bobs for the chassis, which is not too interesting to look at for the moment, but I did go to the Model Engineering Exhibition, which is Britain's biggest model show. Some great stuff their but hardly any car models present and only one 1/12 model, a badly made Fw14 Williams. However I did buy these little beauties:

The taps and dies range from a massive 2.5mm down to a weeny 1mm...lovely! The whole set was only £20 - there's a guy near me that charges £35 for just one 1mm tap!!!!!! Will report back as how they perform once I've built up the courage to use them!

Martin, I can't track down that 037 chap, however I did find a bloke in the UK that's producing 037 replica's but they are based on Beta shells...guess that's not much use for you?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #128
scorpiopab
AF Regular

looks awesome to me to use that for your models..

Paul.
scorpiopab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #129
puffyrs
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster View Post
Martin, I can't track down that 037 chap, however I did find a bloke in the UK that's producing 037 replica's but they are based on Beta shells...guess that's not much use for you?
Thanks for having a go.
I'm just trying to work out how the tub and frames all go together.
I hope to be going up to the RaceRetro show in March so will take a lot more photos and measurements.

But Thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #130
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Hey Cing, that tap and die set looks awesome! I could use one each of those in metric and SAE! I have a selected few, but all in one set... Worth it at twice the price!

Garey
bmwmech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #131
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmech1 View Post
Hey Cing, that tap and die set looks awesome! I could use one each of those in metric and SAE! I have a selected few, but all in one set... Worth it at twice the price!

Garey
Garey, had a quick look for you but don't know your national toolshops too well. Found a set at Micro-Mark for around 90 bucks - sized down to 0-80, which means nothing to me apart from being small! Also look to be far better quality.

Spent a lot of time doing really small stuff at the moment. Got the gas pedal sorted, hopefully got the rivets in the right place for those rivet counters!

Porsche handbook:

If they're not happy with that, then I've done the ZF logo (2.5 mm diameter) ready to be cast and placed on the steering box top and sides - still needs tweaking:

The steering box is a lot of work. Got to get my head around scaling down the worm and sector used:

The front torsion bar tower is off the list! I will re-cast the tower end pieces to include the alloy parts so that I only have to cut two brass tubes and bingo:

They have the rivets for the rivet counters!

These will be drilled out and sanded off for the bare chassis models.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #132
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Thanks Cing, I just got some stuff from Micro Mark, I'll have to go back thru their catalog... maybe I'll just buy what I don't have to make a set... we'll see. Onto the build... it's starting to look better and better, the torsion tubes look excellent and I keep forgetting you're making everything to be duplicated... unbelievable!

Garey
bmwmech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #133
icon_modeler
AF Regular

What you have done so far looks great!!! For what it's worth, those are not rivets on the gas pedal, they are spot welds. And if you really want to impress the rivet counters you need to not make your rivet pattern so uniform. Remember, the Germans built these cars in a matter of weeks, they never bothered to measure out the hole pattern they just drilled holes.

Icon Modeler
icon_modeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #134
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon_modeler View Post
What you have done so far looks great!!! For what it's worth, those are not rivets on the gas pedal, they are spot welds. And if you really want to impress the rivet counters you need to not make your rivet pattern so uniform. Remember, the Germans built these cars in a matter of weeks, they never bothered to measure out the hole pattern they just drilled holes.

Icon Modeler
Cheers Icon...you're not a spot weld counter, by per chance!

You're right about the gas pedal. I spotted the indentations on the front of the pedals and assumed they were rivet heads but they are where the metal has pulled in from welding. The two suspension towers were spot welded but the rivets are for the full body version that will have the inner arches attached to the towers by rivets over the spot welds, so you get both for your money!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #135
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Fantastic work mate. I'm glad to see this project ramping up again.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports