Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #61
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

Re: WIP: 1970 'Gulf' Porsche 917K

It's arrived!!!

five separate bags with alot of components inside and not just the engine - there are fluid and fuel tanks as well - all with excellent detail too. There is a little clean up work to be done but nothing major. Several of the parts have been pre-drilled in order to add the plumbing which is a massive help. This is going to be an excellent starting point for a super detailed engine.

I am busy working on the floor at the moment - getting it sprayed and re-modelled (to accommodate the wide tail) and ready to build up the interior on, as I now know what the transkit is going to replace in the kit I will then tackle the motor.

I have also finished the 'finished' Lotus 25 by adding the fuel lines and taken some better pics - I will add a couple to the Completed thread.

http://www.scalereproductions.co.uk

WIP: Ferrari F40

Last edited by SeanyG; 04-01-2007 at 01:11 PM.
SeanyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #62
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

more progress...

completed spraying the centre floor section for the cockpit, as before the car had both a black interior and also a grey one - I have gone for the latter as the 20 car from 1970 had a grey inside (but not the Steve McQueen version which was black - oh confusing or what!)

Anyway, the 'paper clip' frame was sprayed matt black and added to the floor along with the driver's seat frame. I also installed the fire extinguisher, there is a little further plumbing to add to this.

In the Renaissance etch set there is a beautiful etching for two brake fluid reservoirs and one of the most detailed set of pedals I have ever seen. The pedals and frame are made up of no less than 5 separate parts which all need careful folding. I have added a brake hose and also clutch cable to these pedals.

I have done the same with the seats as I did on the Stratos, that is sprinkle some fine sawdust over them while the paint was still wet - reasonably pleased with the result however I am going to have to look for a better way of replicating this for the future as I think there has to be a better way.

the floor witht he drivers seat in place...

also added the electrical components board to the floor and tried the dashboard to see how it all looks - so far so good I think.

I am still working on the remaining part of the floor section, as you can see the sides need 'flaring out' to accommodate the wider tailgate and this is proving a little time consuming to get right (left handside is almost complete in pic.)

till the next update...

Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #63
davesans
AF Enthusiast

WoW Sean awesome work dash looks great the fire extinguisher is a nice touch can't wait to see the engine when you get it built.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #64
toyracer71
AF Newbie

Hope that you don't mind my watching over your shoulder as I am getting ready to build a 1/12th scale version of the Pink Pig Porsche my self. I know that the coach work is a bit different but the mechanicals I belive are the same so I will be trying to learn as much as possible from you! Thanks for the info.

Mike
toyracer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #65
godfather23
AF Enthusiast

I should build another one of these 917K´s - and copy a lot of your ideas... Very nice progress. Thanks for sharing with us and keep up the great work.
Ferrari 250 GTO LM 1962 (chassis #3387)
godfather23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #66
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanyG
I am going to have to look for a better way of replicating this for the future as I think there has to be a better way.
I'm not too sure what effect you are actually trying to achieve but have you considered SMS Faux Fabric or similar? Or maybe Mr Surfacer 500 sprayed from a distance?

It's still a great build whatever you did

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #67
Eric Cole
AF Enthusiast

I''m loving this build. Great work and very inspirational for me, as I have the parts cleaned up on one of these (Salzburg - red version) and hope to start more serious work on it soon.

I hope you don't mind if I use some of your ideas when I build mine?

Other Model Pictures Here:
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/justdande/
Eric Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #68
hompe
AF Regular

This is sooooo cool to see this gorgeus car being built by someone with that good skills too
Old 04-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #69
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

thanks for your comments guys, feel free to copy anything I add to my models. I have blatantly copied others techniques on my builds too :-)

Stevanski, I was strying to recreate a sort of suede effect, it worked well on the Stratos and my F310B but it looks a little too 'lumpy' on this one. I am going to order some Faux Fabric and give that a try.

ps... picked up that Compressor on ebay for £45, really pleased, just hope it gets to me in one piece now! Fingers crossed I can get the Iwata Airbrush for a bargain too, with a bit of luck I may have a full setup for less than £100. Thanks again for your advice.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #70
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

ah I see... its like that is it... well anything Phil can do...

no just kidding, Im pleased that your posting your thread too Phil, as it highlights all the mistakes Im making and where I need to correct it

so anyway - just a one pic update to underline really what Phil is saying in the amount of time it takes to prepare the chassis for paint, although it is an excellent kit there are alot of gaps that need filling (especially the rear of the inside of the front wheels arches) and it takes sooooo much time to get right. Hopefully Im nearly there and can think about putting the front together.

I have used Tamiya's thinnest plastic plate to fill my gaps using paper templates first to work out the size of the piece I need to cut first. As you can see I did manage to finish widening the lower section of the chassis to fit in line with the wider rear hood.

sorry the pace has dropped a little with the build but this is definately the time consuming bit.

...over to you Phil

Old 04-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #71
Macio4ever
AF Enthusiast

Awesome work! So crisp details...

Macio4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #72
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Wow, in primer already! I'm so jealous... Looks great.
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #73
Spike2933
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike2933

very clean build so far,

the dash looks excellent
Old 04-11-2007, 01:05 AM   #74
bvia
AF Enthusiast

You're doing an excellent job on a not-so-easy-to-assemble kit.

Thanks for sharing,

Bill
Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #75
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

a little more progress...

having completed the necessary filling and sanding work on the bottom section I have began spraying. Bizarrely the bottom of this car is white (research seems to indicate this is the colour that the 917's came out of the factory after homologation and was never resprayed)

After taking the kit decals down to my local Halfords store i found an almost identical match for the orange - the colour is VW Brilliant Orange and I couldnt believe my luck when finding such an accurate match.

The limitations of my camera fail to show the match 100% but trust me the two colours are spot on.

...the finished underside looks like this, I am extremely pleased with the two sections either side where I had to widen the base to match the wider hood, this took an eternity to get smooth and accurate but it did pay off and luckily the finish is smooth enough to hide the fact it had been altered at all ...

I have got to work out the colours for the inner arches as they vary between sky blue, black and grey on my various ref pictures, any ideas anyone? I may also add a little weathering using the techniques I used to create the wooden plank on my Ferrari F310B

ie:

obviously I dont mean the wood effect but more the grounding marks I added, I will let the base dry first and decide in the meantime, I just think it looks too 'showroom' as it is.

Finally, I have also made a start on the bulkhead between cockpit and engine - this is where the electrics are also stored and are a super-detailer's dream. The individual gizmos were drilled to accommodate the multitude of wires that are attached to these parts and then the whole piece was sprayed the same grey as the rest of the cockpit, the various pieces were then picked out in the approriate coal black and flat alu. I then added a little dry brushing to the black pieces. For the connectors on the black items I am using the plastic surround from some wire I have, I removed the centre leaving the hollow outer and then painted it gold. There are nine more to add and then it is time to add the spaghetti.

The two driver's seat belt holders were made from the inside of the same wire that I had removed the outer plastic for (waste not want not eh!) these were bent into a U shape and inserted into holes I drilled ready.

more again soon :-)

Last edited by SeanyG; 04-12-2007 at 03:56 PM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports