Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #61
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 3.8-Neutral SftySw-Is this the shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge_saati View Post
No you can add fluid whenever the engine is running or not.
I don't know why it smokes, it shouldn't be.

When you drive with overdrive off, the problem still happen?
I don't recommend you drive too much when it slips. It could permanently damage the clutch bands and the damaged part could move within the fluid and damage other trans parts.
But test it few times will not hurt.
Hi, sarge_saarti.

I forgot to tell you all that yesterday I drove with the overdrive off (8 miles). When I pressed the button to O/D OFF (while driving) I felt like I had downshifted like it was trying hard to go but I don't think I drove it long enough to tell if it did the same thing.

sarge_saarti...Tomorrow I have to go to town (that's what they say here). It is 40 miles there and 40 back. I will be able to tell FOR SURE if the problem is still there after the trip. Also the town that I am going to is actually where I would have to take Big Burgundy for the transmission check.

I plan on driving there with O/D OFF.
I plan on driving back with O/D ON.
I hope I make it back safely. Being in this rural area is nothing like being in the city. You definitely have to have a vehicle here.
WindstarMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #62
mark_gober
AF Regular

Windstar,

Please forgive this question, but are you sure you put the fluid in the correct tube? Perhaps you can take a photo of it. I can think of no reason whatsoever that putting tranny fluid in would cause your car to smoke.
mark_gober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #63
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to serge_saati Send a message via Yahoo to serge_saati Send a message via Skype™ to serge_saati

Even if the fluid was put in other reservoir, it shouldn't smoke. Unless if it was put in the air inlet duct or in fuel tank . If level goes up, it's definitively in good tube.
2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.1L OHV (sold)
2004 Hyundai Accent GS 1.6L DOHC manual (sold)
1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S 3.1L OHV (sold)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L SOHC (sold)

A Windstar without having the check engine light is not a real Windstar.

serge_saati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #64
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_gober View Post
Windstar,

Please forgive this question, but are you sure you put the fluid in the correct tube? Perhaps you can take a photo of it. I can think of no reason whatsoever that putting tranny fluid in would cause your car to smoke.
LOL! Yes. LOL! I did put it in the correct tube. LOL! The dipstick was superlong and it is the tube closest to the battery.

Mark it is funny that you asked that. I had a friend 25 years ago who bought a used car that you had to keep filling with water all the time. It was a 1975 something or the other so it was already 10 years old but it was in good condition.
The car died on her like 1 week later. She went and complained to the guy that she bought it from and really fussed him out. He asked her to show him exactly where was she putting the water in at. She was putting water in the engine oil compartment and was putting the oil in the radiator every 2 or 3 days!

So I reaaallllllllyyy pay attention to that and have been paying attention for yeeeeears! LOL!

sarge_saarti
We must have posted at the same time. Your post wasn't there when I responded. I think I just wasted some fluid on or near the engine but now that I see your post "Unless if it was put in the air inlet duct..." that makes me think that I have some kind of problem where the engine is sucking in air somewhere.

Now I have caused myself to worry

Last edited by WindstarMommy; 01-09-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: acknowledgement
Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #65
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to serge_saati Send a message via Yahoo to serge_saati Send a message via Skype™ to serge_saati

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindstarMommy View Post
I had a friend 25 years ago who bought a used car that you had to keep filling with water all the time. It was a 1975 something or the other so it was already 10 years old but it was in good condition.
The car died on her like 1 week later. She went and complained to the guy that she bought it from and really fussed him out. He asked her to show him exactly where was she putting the water in at. She was putting water in the engine oil compartment and was putting the oil in the radiator every 2 or 3 days!
LOL, this is too funny. My sister did similar thing. She recently put washer fluid in the coolant reservoir in my car. She said my coolant tank look like the washer fluid in her car. At least she didn't put a lot.

About the trans fluid vapor into the air inlet, it doesn't make sense. The air filter cannot suck trans fluid vapor if it drips on the trans or other part. It's too far and so little quantity will not shown at exhaust. I talked about someone who put a lot of fluid in the air inlet directly.

Just to make sure, have you waited 30 sec before checking the trans fluid level after adding? Cause the trans oil takes time to flows through the tunnel.
Maybe you have a false test result.
If not, I suggest to check the level again and by cleaning the trans dipstick before checking.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #66
mark_gober
AF Regular

Windstar,

Attached you'll find the photos that I took during my transmission fluid changeout. Check out the filenames. They are indicative of what the photo is showing you. I hope that they make some sense of the process for you.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewTransmissionFilter.JPG (76.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg afterItStartedLeaking.JPG (71.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg OldFilterBeforeRemoval.JPG (80.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg OringStillInTheTransmission.JPG (80.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg locationOfTrannyFilter.jpg (42.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Oring.JPG (71.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg TopOfFIlterNoticeClip.JPG (62.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #67
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Mark, your Taurus is in a such good condition! There's no sign of rust at brake caliper, pans, cat converters, subframe... I understand why used car in US costs 2X more than those in Canada.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #68
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge_saati View Post
Just to make sure, have you waited 30 sec before checking the trans fluid level after adding? Cause the trans oil takes time to flows through the tunnel.
Maybe you have a false test result.
If not, I suggest to check the level again and by cleaning the trans dipstick before checking.
Hey, sarge_saarti, yeah, I waited at least 30 seconds and checked a clean dipstick like I would check the oil. I checked again later and no smoke but it is still halfway to the crosshatch area.

Mark...I agree with sarge_saarti...is that a freakin' brand new car?!?! I could eat off the underside of that da** thing! PLUS your photos are so clear! Thanks for them by the way.

I never went to town yesterday. We are in the middle of rain/ice/snow storm here in the Carolinas. I am stuck and too afraid to move.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #69
mark_gober
AF Regular

That was a friend of mine's car. Down here in Texas, we don't get too much undercarriage rust.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #70
mark_gober
AF Regular

WindstarMom,

No new news lately on your vehicle troubles....how'd everything turn out?

Mark
Old 06-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #71
kafkacell
Fooling around

hI, I've read the whole post (wow). I must say after looking at the pictures that you have a leak in engine oil (not tranny). At the 2nd picture you can see the small drop accumulated. It's very small but is there.

My tranny oil was flushed this weekend, new filter and everything (didn't do it by myself). Mine shows sometimes the same "high RPM and car is not moving". I just wait until it accelerates again. Putting high RPM on windstar is NOT recommended at all. You must treat her like silk, if not your tranny can go seriously damaged (higher torque and transmission will overheat). I never go more than 2.8 RPM. At the city always driving at 1.2 to 2.2 RPM. On the hills you must use 2nd, it will not suffer and you will climb anything.

In your case I will have the fuel injectors serviced (critical on windstar). Mine had a random misfire and loose of power, after cleaned them it's been 3 months without hiccups nor misfire.

regards and good luck with your windstar.

Good for you by the way.
SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.
kafkacell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #72
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Hi, Mark! I thought I had solved everything with the TRS...the check engine light came on just yesterday (June 7) and now I am back in at it again. The same p0708 code came on.

Hi, kafkacell! 1. How in the world did you notice an oil leak? Could THAT be the problem with the TRS? 2. When you say "fuel injectors serviced" can you tell me exactly what you mean so that I will know?

One of the last times I got an oil change I made it a point to go look under my van while they had it hoisted and I mentioned to the guy that it looked like there was some kind of leak. He said. "Yea, I see it but I don't know where it's coming from. It could be oil or trans fluid. It's too dark and dirty to be sure."
Old 06-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #73
kafkacell
Fooling around

Lightbulb Re: 2000 3.8-Neutral SftySw-Is this the shaft?

That oil comes definitely from the oil pan it's the screw and in my opinion it wont be the cause with TRS.

2. I mean clean full injectors. Is not an easy task and you will need a helper or put them out and take them to any napa that will get them cleaned for you (not a cheap job, here is 20$ per injector). I did the job myself, must remove the cowl and the plenum also the fuel lines and injectors are there. Later I used a fuel injector connector and a battery. This is hard and kind of difficult because you must have this connector and a helper (was bougth at a junkyard). Then with carb cleaner just flood the injector and the helper must connect and disconnect very quickly the cables from the battery (to simulate the aperture/closing of the injector). Also you will need to put new rubber rings (cheap). If any is clogged the liquid wont go out for a while. Easiest way is to take them to a napa store.
It takes like 20 minutes to clean the 6 injectors. Hard part is to remove the cowl and plenum.
Im not sure but something tells me that your TRS is not well installed, maybe a bolt, or just a little out of range (it just tells the computer which gear you are on). Delete the code and give it a try. If it's bad your windstar wont start at all.

Here is a picture of windstar 2000 TRS using alingment special tool:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg special tool for TRS winnie 2k.jpg (73.3 KB, 5 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to kafkacell For This Useful Post:
WindstarMommy (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #74
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Thanks, kafkacell. I think that cleaning the fuel injectors is something that I would not attempt at all. I think I should have them professionally (or shade-tree professionally) done.

I might just go and look to see if I can even locate them. If it looks too difficult I won't attempt.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #75
kafkacell
Fooling around

Yes, it depends on how handy you are. I did it well in my second try. My first there was leaks of gas coming from 3 injectors (didn't put new o-rings). Indeed after cleaning injectors my windstar pours like a kitten .

regards and good luck with yours.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alignment , neutral , safety , switch , trs
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar