Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:06 AM   #1
es_class
AF Regular

how often do u change oil?

probably a silly question but ive heard so many opinions and different answers im a bit confused. ive heard from the bike shop about every 3000 miles...ive heard from people about every 1000 miles....so which one is correct or is niether one correct? im a street rider..no track racing.....and i usually do about 70- 90 and often times thru out the day hit 120-130 on the highway but not for too long cuz of the traffic and the cops...lol. i havent changed the oil since last year but have only put about...close to 3000 miles on it. my bike is a 98 kawi and has close to 12000 miles on the odometer. when i bought her she had a little over 9000 miles on it. last year she sat in some rain and cold weather but not much.

BEFORE AFTER SWEET-ZX11
es_class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: how often do u change oil?

I would follow your owners manual recommendations for the type of riding you do. If you're constantly near the red-line through the gears, more frequent oil changes are necessary. The better grade oil you use, the longer you can stretch it, but for the expense, is it worth risking your engine/gearbox to save a few bucks per year? When I had my Magna, I only put about 2k a year on it (I couldn't ride it to work due to my job at the time), and used Spectro synthetic, but it got an oil change every spring when I got her out. I wasn't taking the risk of condensation from winter storage getting into anything and monkeying it up.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

i do it every 2500.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:44 AM   #4
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

also do it every 6 months regardless of k's.

oil can break down over time and even when its not used it can go off.

my old mans best mate had a Porsche that had been serviced at 1000k's but not yet had its 10,000k service. but had been sitting for about 3 yrs rarely being used. the oil was just black sludge. bit like guiness
Old 05-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #5
90gs
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to 90gs

every 2000 miles

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes