Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
barshowfamily
AF Newbie

f150 aod shifting problem

I recently installed a rebuilt trans. and when I was connecting the tv cable I pushed the arm inside past the spool wedging it. I drove it like this for a day not realizing what the problem was.
I corrected that problem so that the tv linkage would move freely. Then, I adjusted the cable at the throttle linkage so that it was shifting properly. The next day it was back to problematic shifting. It would not shift until 25mph and then it went from first to third skipping second. I read through the adjustment process on another site and tried again. It hasn't worked and is still shifting from first to third at 25mph. I believe that I still have second gear because the trans will kick down for passing or hill climbing.
Any ideas? All input would be appreciated.
barshowfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
dfordski
AF Regular

Re: f150 aod shifting problem

If you manually go through the gears, 1,2 & D, you have all the gears? Was this same behavior prior to installing the rebuild? What year?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
barshowfamily
AF Newbie

Re: f150 aod shifting problem

I have been told by someone who has a lot of experience with tranny's that when the valve bodies are torqued down during the rebuild process that sometimes the spools stick. His suggestion, again from experience, is to remove the pan and rap on the valve body with a hammer to unstick the offending spool. I'm going to give this a try.
I have ruled out any problems with the cable. Yes, the old tranny shifted good but "dropped" into fourth gear. I was told by an "expert" on justanswers.com that that is a common occurence with older aod's and that I shouldn't have swapped the trans just for that. I did swap it because the fresh rebuild came with the purchase of the truck and I figured that since the rest of the drivetrain was new, why not have a fresh tranny.
At one point I had it adjusted and working properly, but the next day it started skipping second gear. I tried the adjustment process several more times with no luck. I have had the adjustment slide to max extension, so it makes sense that if the valve spool is sticky, holding it fully depressed for several driving excursions would cause the problem to get worse.
I am hoping that this unorthodox fix will be the solution to the problem.
barshowfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
f150 , problem , shifting
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series