Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
lazyboyzob12
AF Newbie

Angry Transmission

All of a sudden, when I turn left at a stoplight the transmission sounds like it goes into Neutral then applying gas it pushes ahead. NOW, it is pouring out what appears to be ATF. The fluid level is COMPLETELY dry, strangely. From all that I am saying is my transmission damaged??? Please reply ANY opinions please!
Thanks!!
Derek
lazyboyzob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 01:55 AM   #2
Dan_in_WA
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dan_in_WA Send a message via Yahoo to Dan_in_WA
At this point, it sounds like the trans is just out of fluid, and that is why the thing feels like it has gone into Neutral. There is no fluid for the torque converter to keep it's "fluid coupling".

Does the leaking tranny fluid smell burnt? If not, find and fix the leak, and everything should be cool. Not too many places for ATF to leak, just check the driveshaft seals or the pan gasket.
Dan_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
lazyboyzob12
AF Newbie

Cool

Thanks Dan_in_WA for your reply, that's what seems to be the problem is just no fluid, so I am taking it to a trans shop to see if they can fix the leak so I can add Trans fluid. Thanks for your reply!!
Derek
Old 06-02-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
lazyboyzob12
AF Newbie

Ok, I found the problem. ATF is NOT leaking but coolant. I have added 4 qts to ATF dipstick. But somehow the Coolant is NOT getting to the Radiator and my radiator is getting EXTREMELY hot when I drive it. So off to the mechanics tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
Dan_in_WA
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dan_in_WA Send a message via Yahoo to Dan_in_WA
Uh-oh.....

The transmission fluid is cooled by the radiator, are you getting coolant into the trans, or vice-versa?
Dan_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
lazyboyzob12
AF Newbie

I dont think so. It is just the coolant is not getting to the radiator. ATF is fine.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #7
willpower101
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to willpower101 Send a message via Yahoo to willpower101
Re: Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_WA
Uh-oh.....

The transmission fluid is cooled by the radiator, are you getting coolant into the trans, or vice-versa?
what the hell are you talking about???
Old 01-19-2005, 06:35 PM   #8
willpower101
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboyzob12
Ok, I found the problem. ATF is NOT leaking but coolant. I have added 4 qts to ATF dipstick. But somehow the Coolant is NOT getting to the Radiator and my radiator is getting EXTREMELY hot when I drive it. So off to the mechanics tomorrow.
i know this is old but i'm posting for future veiwers of this thread.

the transmission fluid and radiator fluid are 2 completely different things.
you added 4 quarts of tranny fluid?? i hope you didn't over fill it. you can screw up a car like that. you have to check the tranny fluid hot or it will read almost zero. so if you checked it cold, then you now have 9 quarts of tranny fluid in your car. now you HAVE to take it to the shop to drain it. unless you, would like to attempt it yourself, but with your currenty situation i wouldn't reccomend it.

your radiator is leaking point blank because your thermostat is bad and it is stuck closed. changing a thermostat is a five minute job. don't ever go to a shop to do that. the part cost 4 bucks and all you need is a philips head screwdriver.

your hose is leaking because it is building up pressure from the stuck thermostat. now either your hose is leaking around one of the clamp from the pressure or you have already busted a hose. feel your hoses check for tears. change the thermostat fill the RADIATOR up with WATER, fill the reserve, drive around for 30 minutes, fill the reserve up again, repeat. check for leaks. drive around for a day, if the level does not go down, you are fine, if it does. new hose. half hour job. 10 bucks
Old 01-20-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
lazyboyzob12
AF Newbie

Well, I got my tranny fixed in August. There was a piece of metal that was spplit totally in half! My tranny died when it split but the symptoms described above were a result of the metal tearing in half over time. Anyways now after fixing the tranny AND getting a new head gasket. (POS CAR!) the car runs fine! So all in all it was the transmission itself that was breaking. The head gasket blew because the engine in that car gets WAY TOO HOT!! It is strange. My Temp gauge never goes higher than halfway! I dont know, this car suks ass. Any recommendations on how to prevent the Gasket from blowing a 3rd time? The owner before me had to put a new Head Gasket on it too!
Derek
Old 01-20-2005, 07:39 PM   #10
willpower101
AF Newbie

you are right the biggest reason for the head gasket is the heat produced. the only thing i can recommend is keep the thermostat up to date, and the coolant full. also change the spark plugs and oil on schedule. there's not much else you can do besides typical routine matience that that should help it last.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable