Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
terryshrout
AF Frequent Flyer

2004 GP Low Oil Level Warning Won't Clear Off

Hello all you GP tekkies out there. I'm having an issue with my daughters 2004 GP GT. It has a 3.8L engine with 90,000 miles. About a month ago the low engine oil level warning light started coming on. She checked the oil level and it was OK. She has tried to clear the warning multiple times. This past weekend I changed engine oil and filter and changed the low oil level sensor while I was at it (used and actual GM dealer part). The electrical plug was corrosion free and I didn't see any bare or broken wires. Replacement was pretty easy and straight forward. Problem is that after all of that the low oil level light continues to come on. I'm looking for the next diagnostic step. If anyone has any suggestions where I turn next, I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks in advance for the help.
terryshrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: 2004 GP Low Oil Level Warning Won't Clear Off

Your post has been moved to the Grand Prix Tech forum from Tips & Maintenance.

Have you checked the PCM module reference signal at the oil level sensor? Should be around 5 volts.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Last edited by shorod; 09-29-2019 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Removed spam links.
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
terryshrout
AF Frequent Flyer

Thanks for the reply. I assume the PCM module is the controller that sends current to low oil level sensor and then takes feedback and activiates the warning light if necessary. To answer your question directly, no I haven't checked any voltage readings. She had to leave back for Ohio shorty after I changed the sensor so I didn't get much chance to trouble shoot. The interesting thing about this warning light coming on is that before I changed the sensor the warning light came on frequently, several times during even short trips. She would reset and the light didn't stay off long..Now it seems that the light comes on shortly after she starts the car, but once she clears the warning it doesn't come back on until the next time you start the car. Seems odd that the problem has gotten better but isn't all the way fixed. I just love playing the part of a "lost ball in high weeds". If I check the voltage on the connector pins and it's low and I see no broken or shorted wires, what would be your next recommendation?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
BNaylor
AF Moderator

You're welcome. Its the module located in the air box assembly. Next time you get a chance to work on her car it wouldn't hurt to disconnect and reseat the electrical connectors. I'll double check the GM wiring diagrams in the service manual.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Last edited by shorod; 09-29-2019 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Removed spam links.
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
terryshrout
AF Frequent Flyer

Once again, thanks for your efforts. She should be home in a couple of weeks and I'll do that. I'll keep everyone updated. I'm continually amazed and appreciative of the expertiese exhibited on this website. Many of other peoples posts have been most helpful as I've worked on hers and mine Grand Prix's, hopefully this one will serve the same purpose.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
terryshrout
AF Frequent Flyer

Hello BNaylor, I disconnected the module as you advised. Also cleaned and lightly scuffed the contacts in the connector. So far so good, the low oil level warning hasn't come back on. Another job well done. Thanks again for the assistance. This site and all those who contribute their experience and advice are real life (and money) savers.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
tquinn
AF Newbie

It's been a while since this was posted, but in case anyone is listening . . .

I also have had a problem with the low oil level going off. I tried the suggestion to disconnect the PCM located under the air intake and air filter. Unfortunately, I was unable to get the connectors loose. They each had a gray "strap" that swung over the top of the connector, and when that was pulled over, it also slid some type of lock below it. I tried pulling and rocking as much as I could on all three of the connectors, and I didn't want to break anything, so I gave up.

Any ideas?

Terry
tquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #8
tquinn
AF Newbie

Also, I checked the voltage at the harness connector with the connector removed from the oil pan sensor. With the ignition on, and the DIC indicating low engine oil, I measured the voltage across the two sockets with the a digital VOM set on AC voltage: It read ,015 to .033 volts. With the VOM set on DC voltage, it would gradually drift up from 0 to about 200 mv, then jump back down to zero and start up again, over and over.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #9
Tech II
AF Fanatic

ok, the low oil light is on......how is the actual oil level?

If ok, then disconnect the harness at the oil pan, and make a jumper for the harness.......then run the vehicle......if the light stays off, then you need a new level sensor.....if it comes back on, then you have to check the harness wires all the way back to the PCM.......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #10
tquinn
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
ok, the low oil light is on......how is the actual oil level?

If ok, then disconnect the harness at the oil pan, and make a jumper for the harness.......then run the vehicle......if the light stays off, then you need a new level sensor.....if it comes back on, then you have to check the harness wires all the way back to the PCM.......

Oil level has been at correct level throughout the period ever since the light came on. It has been checked several times.

When you say "make a jumper" do you mean that I should just short a wire across the terminals? Or put another way, if I close the circuit on the harness, that is safe to do for the PCM, and should turn off the light?

It probably is something like that, because yesterday I installed a new sensor, and the light is still on. Seems that will now be chalked up as a waste of money.