Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Choppers
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #16
J Rainey
AF Enthusiast

Re: Pop

Also before anyone jumps on me, I'm even deeper into it. I am married to an actress in LA and we make fun of the people who pretend their better than the next. Don't want anyone thinking I'm just jealous.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #17
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

I dont think Jesse is as big of a sell out as OCC. Jesse has said before he just wishes all the camera's would just go away sometimes. He's tired of Monster Garage too.

EDIT: Just got word from one of the builders that Monster Garage is coming to an end. Two hour episode is coming up.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #18
catback23
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400
OCC is mildly custom. Anybody can pull some parts off the shelf and put together a bike with a little bit of mechanical knowledge. Granted, they do a little bit of custom stuff, but in my mind its not enough for them to be called artists or extreme bike builders. They do a lot of what some amateur bike "builders" do, cut fender blanks, change the gas tank a little bit, and weld on some extras.

Frames are not that hard to build. Its just like building a roll cage. Design it right, and know how to TIG weld and you're ready to build the jig. I can understand not wanting to build a frame because of the ability and precision required to build it. At least build the tank from scratch and a lot of other things.

To me, a bike builder really builds a lot of the bike. Buy what you have to, engine, tires, trans, forks, and some other stuff. Make what you can.

Look up builders like Sollis Janus. A friend of mine that really build some amazing works of art. He build tanks, fenders, seat pans, and the "body" of the bike.

I wont argue with you that everyone has a different taste of opinion for looks. Its true. I'm not going to say that OCC cant build because they're bikes are ugly, because thats my opinion about their style.
I get what your saying but to fabricate that much in a production based shop takes alot of money or time (which isn't much of an option) and you still end up as you would buying pre-fab parts but normally spending more. If you can get away with building a few bikes a year you can easily make most everything from scratch, assuming you have the tools, resources, and know how. So basically it really comes down to what works best, I have no doubt that OCC could do a custom tank, frame, wheels, and all the other mostly non-moving metal parts but they couldn't do that much unique fabrication on every bike they build without drastically reducing production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rainey
I guess they think they're better than everyone else now that they have a reality show. They are low class individuals who gained instant celebrity status and can't deal with the reality of why they're in that position in the first place. Anyone think Jesse James is a little good for his own britches too?

I guess I'm burnt out on the Hollywood types after being in LA for so long. It is their job and they get paid well to entertain us just like it's a mechanics job to keep our machines going.
I'm no celebrity nor do I personally like celebs with such an attitude but I do understand that celeb status really makes you want to be that way. Honestly if you were a widely recognized celeb getting asked for photos and autographs where ever you go would you not get tired of it and just wish you could gas up your chopper without having anyone say how much they like you or your show and how cool it would be if you signed something. There is a good old saying that goes perfectly with wanting to be a celebrity, "Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it."
catback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #19
catback23
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400
I dont think Jesse is as big of a sell out as OCC. Jesse has said before he just wishes all the camera's would just go away sometimes. He's tired of Monster Garage too.

EDIT: Just got word from one of the builders that Monster Garage is coming to an end. Two hour episode is coming up.
I don't see jesse as a sell out at all, if anything I see him more a victim of his own creation. Basically he built a big ass roller coaster but the ride is too much for him. Yea he's iterated wishing the cameras would go away many times. I haven't personally heard about monster garage ending but if it does it'll probably be more because jesse wants the cameras to go away rather than he's tired of making the crazy ass works of art. Well either that or the ratings dropped and the network dropped the show, nah that couldn't be it--the show is cool. Anyone see jesse on martha stewart's show?
catback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #20
PamzJoe
AF Regular

Quote:
pamzjoe

That's all you could add is that there was a little typo? You we're very helpful and next time I will send you an email to proof read since there's not a spell check on the forum.
Sorry for being a dick. Missed my pill! lol.
PamzJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:30 AM   #21
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by catback23
I have no doubt that OCC could do a custom tank, frame, wheels...
Vinny could build the frame, and Rick could do the tank as he's the only metal shaper in the shop. Everyone else usually has their head stuck up their ass. Of course I have watched the show in months so things could have changed but I doubt it.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #22
J Rainey
AF Enthusiast

No problem Pamzjoe. Maybe I was a little sensative that day too.

Anyone ever see the show Build or Bust? They are a custome bike builder that brings in a rookie that thinks that they can build a custom bike (mostly custom). Even had a woman try it and she did quite well. If they build the bike in the alloted time thay can keep it. It's on DTV, but I don't remember which channel.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #23
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Quote:
Anyone ever see the show Build or Bust? They are a custome bike builder that brings in a rookie that thinks that they can build a custom bike (mostly custom). Even had a woman try it and she did quite well. If they build the bike in the alloted time thay can keep it. It's on DTV, but I don't remember which channel.
Yes, I've seen several episodes and I have yet to see one person keep the bike. Its on Speed Channel on two wheel Tuesdays, I forgot what time though.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #24
J Rainey
AF Enthusiast

I only saw one person get the bike. It was down to the last few seconds for good drama and thay made a judgement call and let him keep it. They had to jump start the bike because the battery was dead. I only watched about 5 or 6 episodes. With a business, wife and a new baby keeps me a little busy. Even with Tivo I can't find time to watch the shows I want.

I'm glad to see a little action on this subject.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #25
PamzJoe
AF Regular

I get it on "Speed Channel". Good show. I've seen maybe four guys finish. It's always down to the last minute. Good stuff.
Joe
PamzJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:32 PM   #26
J Rainey
AF Enthusiast

Not to keep harping on Jesse but if he really wants the cameras to go away ending the shows won't do it. Come on, he married Sandra Bullock. They've even been in US magazine. He couldn't even get rid of the cameras bu divorce either. It will just spark up more images and gossip mags.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:42 AM   #27
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Quote:
Not to keep harping on Jesse but if he really wants the cameras to go away ending the shows won't do it. Come on, he married Sandra Bullock. They've even been in US magazine. He couldn't even get rid of the cameras bu divorce either. It will just spark up more images and gossip mags.
Thats better than the cameras being in your face while you build something.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #28
wcamaddox
AF Newbie

I personally see the bikes they build on tv as customs not choppers. The origin of choppers came from early riders that wrecked their bikes and maybe messed something up so they would just chop the part off unless it actually affected the running of the motorcycle. I am in the process of building a 750 Honda chop all in my garage and I am trying to use all Honda parts so no one can accuse me of trying to turn it into a H-D. and the first thing I did was eliminate anything that didnt make the bike go down the road or stop(which I think is more important than running).
wcamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #29
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

How many people own choopers here?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:53 PM   #30
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

This was my contribution to the art...about 15 years ago.

It had just come out of storage here, and was looking pretty rough.

Always loved SOHC 750 chops better than V-twins. Dunno why.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Choppers