Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 09:00 PM   #1
Musashi3000GT
AF Enthusiast

Put a SRT-4 into a tree.....where it belongs

I have been Mitsubishi guy my whole life. Since I was old enough to see over a dashboard, I have been in love with these cars...especially the 3000GT/ GTOs. So when I got my license about 8 years ago I bought a 93 Eclipse, then a 94 then I converted it to a turbo and finaly a 93 GSX, but I crashed it about a year ago....total lost. Any way I was bumbed and looked for a new car, never owned a new car before, would be nice. I remember that "Sport Compact Magazined" named the SRT-4 car of the year. Figured what the hell, its got a Mitsu turbo, why not. So I bought the little turbo Neon. Wow, faster than I thought! (My old GSX would of spanked it but shit, its a new car.) I was handing asses out to camaros, Mustangs, every single dumbass honda out there, only thing on the street to watch out for where the new Evo 8s (the STI still wasent available) I was already planning on how to mod it and make it faster. One night I'm comming back from work and a guy in a white 98 Mustang GT stops at a red next to me. We do the typical and get ready to gun it, the street ahead is about a 1/4 of a mile then curves slightly left and the right, then straight for about 60 yards, then another light. I know I can take him. The light goes green, the hammer drops and we are off, I let him take the lead, I mean com'on dont wanna push it too much, I catch up right before we shift to second. we are neck and neck and then third I pull away, so long "push rod boy". At the top of third I was doing like 86, 87 mph, almost the end of the straight away, now remember, its a very slight curve to the left, not a 90 degree angle corner! normaly at 65mph I would turn the stearing wheel about 50 degrees left to clear it, I drive through it every night! So i'm at third and I shift it to fourth, the revs drop, I depress the brakes slightly to slow it down, I start to trun in and guess what..... THE TAIL SLIDES OUT. Holly crap i'm gonna oversteer, to Quickly I drop in back to 3rd, and counter steer, no good. Now all four are OFF the floor. the car goes side ways straight up against a tree at ~80mph the seat breaks and I find my face burried in the ass of the passenger seat. I get out and my soulder is at about my chest level ( It poped out of its socket) So I sit down, calmly call my wife and tell her "Honey, I totalled the Dodge, come pick me up" and I woke up in the hospital an hour later! I had a dislocated shoulder, mild concuscion three stitches in my eye brow doctors extraced shradds of glass from my left eye. As for the little neon, It ended up shaped like a "V" around the tree. the driver seat lifted from its bolts and the stearing columb collapsed, The tranny and block where cracked, Intercooler crushed by the block which lifted off its motormounts, the axle split and the rear right rim flew straight off, the radio caved in and front passender rim cracked half way up. and off course all the mirrors exploded (except for the front winshield which turned to a sheet of deadly sharl plastic) hence the glass in my eye! The moral of the story is that if you drive and import and you think of switching to a domestic, you deserve glass in your eye. About 4 months later (after no longer tollerating public transportation) I bougth a 94 3000GT off a State Trooper and got back to my roots. I loved these cars since forever and finaly at the age of 23 I was able to afford one. I went back and took that very same corner at 100mph in my 3KGT and it stuck like a real car should!
Old 06-17-2004, 09:09 PM   #2
haaj
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to haaj Send a message via Yahoo to haaj
Re: Put a SRT-4 into a tree.....where it belongs

Yeah baby holy shit! Dude what a great story. Congrats on your 3000GT purchase, my son, you've made the right decision
Old 06-18-2004, 01:01 AM   #3
sLADe781
AF Enthusiast

Damn, crazy accident....glad you're okay bro. And uh, welcome home!!!
Old 06-18-2004, 01:30 AM   #4
CrimsonRacer
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to CrimsonRacer
All I can say is who takes a corner and crashes then goes back with a different car and takes the EXACT same corner again at 100mph?? Other than congrats on the car.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:33 AM   #5
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

nice story, this should be in the street racing forum, the responses would be halarious. your lucky your ok man, and good job with the purchase of the 3000gt.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:28 AM   #6
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Nice decision to get a 3000GT Just watch yourself. You were fortunate to come away basically unscathed on the last crash.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #7
Musashi3000GT
AF Enthusiast

Thank you kindly! I am deffenetly thrilled with the 3000GT, Like I said "I have loved these cars since forever". Wanna know the funniest part though.......the airbags in the Dodge never deployed. After all that tumbling and the bags didnt trigger! go figure. But yeah no joke I redid that corner in 3000GT at like 97-100mph and the tires didnt even squeak!
Old 06-18-2004, 11:16 AM   #8
LandoAWD
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LandoAWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi3000GT
The moral of the story is that if you drive and import and you think of switching to a domestic, you deserve glass in your eye.
The moral of this story is that you are a poor driver who exceeded his abilities while streetracing.

Don't blame the car; blame yourself.

You should be thankful you are still alive to type.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:31 AM   #9
Musashi3000GT
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, maybe your right Lando, part of the whole reason why I went back and risked it again was cause my best friend kept on saying the same thing. He was all hostile about it saying "no freaking car could of managed that, you pushed it beyond its limits and thats what happens", "even a JGTC car woulnt of done what you tried to do". So I did it again in a real car and proved to him what I had hypothesized all along. Still I do have to agree with you man and believe me that was about a year go and I havent raced on the street again sinced. I dont wanna sound old but from now on I think I'll keep the heavy foot for the track.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:34 AM   #10
LandoAWD
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi3000GT
I dont wanna sound old but from now on I think I'll keep the heavy foot for the track.
I wouldn't see that as sounding old...I see it as being smart.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #11
importoutkast
AF Newbie

you pulled a classic in the neon. it would happen in most cars at a limit, never brake as you turn, it will lift the rear of the car and make it slide, i did the same thing on a 90 degree corner in spokane at the end of devision street a 85+ mph came around the corner tapped the breaks the the back end slid from the inside lane to the out side lane and manage tostop at the red light behind a car. i was in my 96 neon i had. the guy i was racing pulled up next to me and freaked out about how he had never seen anything like that before. so don't worry we don't get skill from keeping control but from loosing it. don't worry you should be safe in your 3000 it takes a lot to get them out of control they are heavyer and wider then your srt, one thing to remember never panic break in the middle of a corner it is always better to ride it out breaks only make you loose what presious traction you have in the middle of a corner. so be carful kids
Old 07-15-2004, 02:18 PM   #12
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Thourun
Welcome import! Geez seems like this little nook of the forum is growing every day!
Installed: ESP front precat eliminating downpipe, test pipe, RF-1008 K&N, Dejon tool Y pipe, 1G DSM BOV, MSD wires, Guted rear pre cat, ISSPRO EV Marine boost gauge, IPO MBC, EGR blockoffs, Palm m515 dataloger setup, NGK iridium plugs, SPEC stage II clutch 500ft/lb, 5300k HID plug and play setup.

Soon:Topline Engineering ground wires.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:31 AM   #13
93_R/T_TT_Stealth
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth Send a message via MSN to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth Send a message via Yahoo to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth

yeah i totaly agree things like that only help you learn an get better at driving - i also have a 90 shelby daytona - an it would always get loose in the rain but handled like a dream on dry - i lost it some many times in that car that it just help me develope this skill, to where when ever i am driving a car an i loose it or what have you i know how to control it an i know what to do - i only lost it in once in the r/t tt an it was in the winter an i was goin down a hill an i didnt even press the gas or the brakes it was just cause the snow level increased on the one stop an it started to plain my front pass. side tire then spun me an i was goin 40 backwards down the road an i just threw it in neutral so my trans. didnt have any strain an checked my mirror an saw a long guard rail aproaching fast lol ... so the only thing i could do was put my foot on the clutch put it in first rev it to like 2k-3000 rpm an dump the clutch - it spun me right back around an corrected the situation . while all that was goin on i was originaly following my mom in her car an my sister was infront of her so they both were driving an saw all this an i caught back up to them an they pulled in to the gas station up the road an where all histarical . i was like yes i'm ok relax i just lost traction an spun out an had to do some jame bond manuevers - they were like all we saw was a big cloud of white snow an white headlights then red then white again an we were scared - but when they found out i was standing with a big grin cause i thought it was kinda fun they said - "i duno about u" my sister said matt your fucked up in the head if u like when shit like that happens, i would be so scared if it happend to me in this car" cause she did have that happen once going up the hill - but she was ok an corrected herself very well i was proud of her.... any way - the moral is all negative shit happens with a returning out come to become positive so just take that incedent as a lesson an as from what you said it sounds like ya got yourself a sexy new car an learned .... just be careful an its good to hear u an nobody else got hurt----

Later All
Old 03-11-2005, 02:34 PM   #14
SabreKhan
The middle pedal is bad

Learn to drive.

2004 Impreza WRX (SCCA DS 519)
2000 Saturn SL
Old 03-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #15
LandoAWD
AF Enthusiast