Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 03:48 PM   #1
revac
AF Newbie

V6 MR2 - Who's done it or researched it?

V6 MR2! Any one done it? Let's get a discussion going on the topic. In particular I am interested in MKII, but we can talk MKI also.
Please don't post replys asking why we would consider such a thing since 2.0 turbo fours are capable of 400-something HP. Raw power #'s are not the point here.
Here is my brief list of engine candidates:
92-94 3VZE 3.0L Your basic iron block Camry motor
92-? 5VZE 3.4L Longer stroke version of the 3VZE for trucks mainly
96-up 1MZ 3.0L Alum. block Camry and Lexus motor. I believe late ones have variable valve timing.

Does anyone know if the 3VZE/5VZE would bolt on to the 5SFE tranny?

V6's from other manufacturers could be considered such as the new Maxima motor; the old Yamaha-Taurus SHO V6 (big intake plenums would be into the seat and trunk, but capable of big high-rpm power); the Mitsubishi 3000GT/Stealth V6 (hugh power capability and fairly compact, but twin turbos might cook things); the GM 92-96 3.4L 4-cam 60-deg V6 (very compact and 215hp, but it's American).
revac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 03:38 PM   #2
EfiniRX7
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to EfiniRX7
Eh, have you ever seen the engine bay of an MR2? Where would you fit the V6? The only one I could see fitting is the really little one out of a Mazda MX3, but they're pretty weak. Most of those engines you've mentioned, especially the 3KGT/Stealth engine are really really wide and don't stand a chance of fitting. It's not really a bad concept though as the extra torque and sound of the 6cyl would be nice, but it's not a likely option. Plus I imagine the added weight of the bigger block/heads/manifolds would really fuck up the weight distribution. Just my .02¢
My Not-So World Famous Website: www.geocities.com/eunosfd
EfiniRX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 03:40 PM   #3
EfiniRX7
AF Regular

Oh also forgot about the tranny. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the trannies in those engines wouldn't work with the MR2 drivetrain layout.
Old 12-31-2001, 09:48 PM   #4
revac
AF Newbie

I have done quite a bit of measuring on my '91 MR2 and I believe that there are some V6's out there that will fit but not by much. Some may require a little reworking of the sheetmetal for enough clearance (this is how you stuff a small block Chevy into a Porsche 914 which I've done).
The 3VZ should fit without a whole of clearancing and should end up with about 1" clearance off the crank pulley if a trans adapter plate is not needed. The other engine that will fit easily is the GM 3.4L (the block is only 15" long), but that will need an adapter plate, and maybe some trickery off the crank such as a custom pulley (but who wants a Chevy engine in their Toyota). Some motors have intake plenums hanging off of them like the SHO engine which won't fit without seroius work, and you would really have to use it's tranny also.
About weight, I think an aluminum block V6 (like the 1VZ) would be very close in weight to the iron block 4 like the 5SFE, but I don't have hard numbers in front of me.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:10 PM   #5
EfiniRX7
AF Regular

I wonder how the VW VR6 would fit. It's not very wide as it's only a 15º V to it, it's 2.8L and I believe an aluminum block too, but i'm not sure. It's not very powerful though with only 178hp (205hp in brand new ones), and it's meant for a fwd car, but they sound great and can be turbo'd too. EIP Tuning here in MD does that a lot with great results, but it's expensive.
My Not-So World Famous Website: www.geocities.com/eunosfd
Old 01-26-2002, 08:15 AM   #6
94mr2turbo
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to 94mr2turbo
I read in the newspaper, that they've made a V6 MR2 in Japan, which can go from 0-100kph in under six seconds. I'm not sure if it's going to go into production yet.
94mr2turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 10:16 AM   #7
revac
AF Newbie

Hate to say it, but I've been on the other MR2 forum, and there are a couple of threads on putting a Camry 1MZ V6 in a MKII MR2. http://www.board.mr2faq.com/forumdis...?s=&forumid=3. I looks like it bolts right up to the tranny, and you can use 2 of the motor mounts, but the rest have to be fabricated. These guys are also planning to put TRD's Eaton blower kit on, too.
I also ran across a site with details on a MKI with the 1MZ in it: http://www.atlantamr2s.com/owners%20...20vick/MR2.htm
Old 12-12-2002, 02:00 AM   #8
trd87mr2
AF Newbie

here is my idea a 2jzgte in an mk1 yes a twin turbo supra engine what i wanna do is have a tranny from a 91 mr2 modified to bolt to the 2jz and then u cut out the trunk area in the back to provide more space any suggestions
trd87mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:52 AM   #9
Sean
AF Enthusiast

well if you were willing to sacrifice your trunk, you could probably fit one in. Plus it would lighten up your car a bit after you got rid of all the stuff in between.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:42 PM   #10
texyotatech
AF Newbie

Have heard from a Toyota technical training center instructor that a friend of his is involved in a 3VZE V6 engine swap into a MR-2. Said that they were surprised to see the rear end raise up (the aluminum block was so much lighter than the iron block?) from it's original height. There is supposed to be a series of articles about this particular vehicle, but I've looked all over for it since I first heard about it last fall. Would be very interested if anyone knows more about it.
texyotatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:26 PM   #11
Bill Strong
AF Regular

LOL... they fit in with no problems... It is almost a bolt in on the MK2. The MK1 requires a bit of modifing, but nothing big.

You guys have got to visit my Message Board for the lastest and greatest stuff that has been done to the MR2 of all gens.
The Internets Largest Toyota MR2 Community
http://www.mr2ownersclub.com
Bill Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:44 PM   #12
MR2TuRbZ
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MR2TuRbZ
Sport Compact Car did it in their latest issue, its towards the back of the magazine
:rocket:
drop by my site
MR2TuRbZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:35 PM   #13
SIKCRX
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
trd87mr2 here is my idea a 2jzgte in an mk1 yes a twin turbo supra engine what i wanna do is have a tranny from a 91 mr2 modified to bolt to the 2jz and then u cut out the trunk area in the back to provide more space any suggestions

umm dude...supras are inline 6's meaning...v6s have been done but i doubt the I6
SIKCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:37 PM   #14
SIKCRX
AF Enthusiast

i meant to add....I6s are alot longer than v6's that engine would almost be longer then a the rear axel
SIKCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:32 AM   #15
JekylandHyde
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Strong
You guys have got to visit my Message Board for the lastest and greatest stuff that has been done to the MR2 of all gens.
Uh oh... Bill found us

There is a whole series in Turbo magazine about their MKII build up with a Lexus V6, that they added a supercharger AND a large T78 turbocharger too. It is twincharged and there is plenty of room in the engine bay for everything.

There is at least one V6 MKI out there as well.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S