Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Ralph123
AF Regular

Did Discount Tire Store Rip me Off?

The Discount Tire Store here in Florida will fix a flat for free. So I took my 5 1/2 year old tire which had a screw in it to get fixed. After patching the tire successfully they told me the tire would not hold any air around the rim because the tire was gouged, chipped, cracking, flaking, just around the rim area and that I would need a new tire. To me it looks like the damage MIGHT have been done on purpose but maybe not because of the tires age. I think the area where the damage is is called the bead of the tire. All four of the tires were Goodyear 5 1/2 year old touring tires still with good tread and NO dry rot cracks anywhere else on the tires. So my question is. Is the type of tire damage where the rubber meets the rim common on 5 1/2 year old tires? Next time I have the tires balanced I'll have to check the remaining tires to see if they have the same problem. Thanks Ralph
Ralph123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Did Discount Tire Store Rip me Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph123 View Post
will fix a flat for free.
Well, there you have it.

This is an ancient technique to suck-in customers so that the unscrupulous salesmen have an opportunity to work you over until you buy something more expensive than what you went in there for in the first place.

There are no free auto repairs. Virtually all "free" or discount work is simply an opportunity for a mechanic to get your car in there to inspect for defects, flaws and potential sales. Sometimes, such mechanics are fairly honest and will discuss genuine problems. Sometimes they are outright crooks and prey on the ignorance and fear of the consumer.

I suspect this is the latter. It's difficult to damage a bead on a tire, unless the tire was driven extensively when flat or damaged during removal. If the bead is actually damaged, it's possible the shop did so deliberatly.

IMO take your car and tire out of there and go somewhere else to repair the tire, (and pay for it this time ). Even if the tire is damaged, buy another elsewhere. Don't give them the satisfaction of selling you a tire in such an underhanded way.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
Ralph123
AF Regular

After he told me I needed a new tire I told them to put the temporary tire back on the car and put the damaged tire in the trunk and that I was leaving to see if my warranty was still in effect where i bought the tire. Then they said they would cover the warranty and pro rate the tire. I fell for it and got a new SA4 tire from them for $62.00. I was going to plug it myself but the the guy at the auto pats store said Discount Auto does it for free and they do it right with a patch on the inside. Next time I'll just plug it myself. If it looks to good to be true it probably isn't. I'm thinking about reporting this to the Better Business Bureau.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Ralph123
AF Regular

I just filed a complaint online with the Better Business Bureau and they are sending it to the Discount Tire Co. I also sent a copy of the complaint I got back from the BBB to the local TV station in hope of them investigating Discount Tire.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Ralph123
AF Regular

UPDATE, HAPPY ENDING: Yesterday the manager from Discount Tire called and left a message on my cell phone saying he was aware of my problem and would like to talk to me to resolve my issue.
Today I called the manager and explained to him that I believe the damage to my tire was caused by them when the tire was removed from the rim, whether it was intentional or not I didn't know. The manager said he had received the complaint from the Better Business Bureau and then went into how a tire begins to deteriorate after reaching 6 years old. Now, Having done my homework on the whole 6 year issue , I explained to him that General Motors position is that the research on tires going bad after 6 years is not supported. Also the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration doesn't buy into the 6 year throw your tires away argument either and that the whole 6 year argument was still of considerable debate. To my surprise, the manager agreed with me and said he would like to credit me for the purchase of the tire so I ended up getting the new tire for free.
Like Judge Wapner from the Peoples court use to say. Don't take the law into your own hands, take them to court. Or in my case the BBB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Wapner

Last edited by Ralph123; 12-12-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Thank you for the update. Well done! It's nice to see a wronged consumer get justice.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical