Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Almera | Sunny | Pulsar | Bluebird | Tiida | Versa | NX | Avenir | Tino | Stanza
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #1
pacuk01
AF Newbie

Nissan Sunny - Battery Keeps Going Flat

Hi,

My mother has got an aging Nissan Sunny. Been a very good car. But over last couple of years it has had a problem where battery seems to go flat in cold weather, and the car wont start. Replacing the battery has usually seemed to cure this until this year.

I have put on a new battery. Car goes flat after 4 days if damp and cold. I replace this new battery as it might have been faulty. Still have same problem. I test the drain on battery when car is engine and ignition is of and decided that the small drain on the battery might be caused by a faulty alternator. I fit a new alternator, the small drain on the battery now goes away, but after four days of non use the car still goes flat. I am running out of ideas. I understand there might be an intermittent power drain on the battery which is enough to make the car fail to start. How will I find the fault. or will it just be easier to fit an isolator to the battery to stop the drain. It is obviously an electrical drain - All doors are shut and the lights are out. I was trying to think of which circuits have power even though the igntion is off. There must be power to internal lights, Central Locking, Clock...anything else??

I am at the end of my tether on this one, and so is my mother.

Any help please?
pacuk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
la1
AF Regular

Re: Nissan Sunny - Battery Keeps Going Flat

when you do the drain test pull one fuse at a time till you find out what is draining. pull the fuse then look at the DVM
la1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
pacuk01
AF Newbie

Re: Nissan Sunny - Battery Keeps Going Flat

The car has arrived at my house, and straight away I put an amp clamp over the negative cable and the drain on the battery was 0.2amp. I removed a relay numbered 25230c9962 12v 80118H as I noticed it clicked every time I reconnected the battey, it shows on the cover "LAMP CHECK AUTO CHOKE" the relay also felt warm. The key was not in the ignition. Directly I removed the relay the amp clamp went back to zero. Now is the relay faulty, or is there a fault in the supply to the relay, or is it a red herring?
pacuk01 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Almera | Sunny | Pulsar | Bluebird | Tiida | Versa | NX | Avenir | Tino | Stanza