Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Warehoused Archives > Girl Racers' Spot
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Girl Racers' Spot For the Female Racer....
  Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
95VicChik
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 95VicChik Send a message via Yahoo to 95VicChik
Question squeaky intake?

hey girls,

i just installed my intake to help with my gas mileage, and i started the engine and it started squealing....it squeals constantly, i don't know if it's from the intake itself but it's coming from the basic area..it didn't squeak until i put it in...any suggestions as to what it may be? any help will be appreciated, thanks a bunch! - Jenn

~You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same~
~I'd rather be hated for what I am then loved for what I'm not~

Old 01-08-2005, 03:08 AM   #2
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Hi there Jenn, I'm not one of the girls here, but I might be able to help out. First thing I'd do is pop the hood to see (hear) exactly where the sound is coming from. It's either the intake sucking in air, or the intake and/or filter vibrating against something under the hood, that's what my initial guess would be. Hope that helps you out some...
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 01-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
95VicChik
AF Newbie

Re: squeaky intake?

hey thanks for the advice, i checked and it's not rubbing against something, it's coming directly out of the intake...i know that sometime they squeak until the car warms up but this is a constant noise...thanks for the reply

Old 01-10-2005, 01:12 AM   #4
89IROC&RS
AF Fanatic

A trick to track down a specific point that is making a noise is to take a length of rubber hose about three feet long. Hold one side up to your ear, and use the other end to probe around the engine and see if there is a point where it is the loudest.

Squeeks such as this have in my experience been caused by several things, which may or may not be related to your condition.
-cracked aluminum accesory brackets
-loose bolts
-metal on metal contact
-cracked aluminum manifolds

What did you use to tighten the bolts on the intake and/or any mounting brackets durring the install? If you over tightened something you may have cracked the manifold around a bolt hole, the vibration of the engine would cause the two sides of the crack to move, causing a squeeking sound. Ive done it before on a 3.4L V6 before. Also with mounting brackets if something like a spacer is left out, it may over stress the bracket, causing it to crack, and cause a similar condition.

again, not saying these are your problems, just similar instances that may help you track down your problem. I work on GM stuff, so im not familiar on what is nessesary to swap intake manifolds on hondas. hope something i said helps.

Chevrolet Camaro - I enjoy beating the hell out of people

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68052
Old 01-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
95VicChik
AF Newbie

i checked for cracks, and i found nothing, : i did your little trick and it's coming straight through the intake, is it just the air? I know i have a leak in my exhaust manifold, i didn't think it could be that tho, but as far as i know the intake mani is fine... but i took the entire thing off, loosened all of the brackets and tried again and it's still doing it, i guess it's just the air getting sucked in there...it's just weird tho because it sounds like a loose belt, and i've never heard anyone elses car with an intake do that...oh well, i'll just have to turn my music up louder so i don't have to listen to it squeal thanks for the advice, if anyone has any other ideas or if u guys think of something else pelase let me know - Jenn

Old 01-11-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
89IROC&RS
AF Fanatic

weird situation, the exhaust leak might have something to do with it, but i have to say, ive never heard of a squeek coming out of the intake. can you post pics of the intake install?

Old 01-12-2005, 08:44 AM   #7
95VicChik
AF Newbie

yeah there on my website which is in my sig...i moved the filter out farther after i took the pic so it's not so close...it's on page 3...thanks for all the help, looks like your the only one that has anything to say around here pretty sad - Jenn

Old 01-19-2005, 12:27 PM   #8
89IROC&RS
AF Fanatic

ok well im at RA training up at school, and need to head out the door, but ill check those pics as soon as i can and get back to ya.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:56 PM   #9
89IROC&RS
AF Fanatic

ok, got a look at the pics, try something for me, with the engine running, pull the throttle linkage open until the sound starts coming from the intake, now use your free hand, and grab the end of the filter and hold onto it, does the sound go away? See i was assuming you did an entire intake manifold install, with an air elbow like this, the elbow is only mounted solidly at one point, and as the engine vibrates it shakes the end (with the air filter) at a vey high frequency. What you are hearing could be the mounting points moving slightly due to this vibration. if Holding the end of the elbow makes the sound change, either for better or worse, i would re tighten all the hose clamps and i mean tight. If it dosnt make any difference, id tighten them up anyway and rule it out as a possible cause.

Something else to concider is that this is a natural by product of the intake. The factory design is not optimal by any means in terms of airflow and temperature, but it does muffle the noise that comes from the intake and makes the car far more quiet and driveable. The noise you now hear may just be akin to playing a trumpet, say its an injector pulse tick, that travels down the intake track and out this tuned tube and out the air filter so now its louder and sounds like its coming from the intake when it really came from an injector. Its a possibility.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:40 AM   #10
thepig333
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to thepig333

I havn't heard of an intake ever sounding like a squeeky belt. Just for shits and giggles, have you checked your belts? Also, I checked out your car, I think it's awesome you wanna get your hands in there and do this stuff. Keep at it b/c you are totally rockin. Btw, sorry to be in your forum even though I'm not a girl. Another thing you may want to check is put another filter on your intake. Borrow a friends for a min or somthing. It may be the way the filter sucks in air. or maybe something is caught up in the filter somewhere. Well good luck with it.
Dreams that are too expensive right now : Headers, Cam Adjusting Pulley, Connecting rods, light weight pulley system, Racing seats, 17" Konig Holes and toyo tires
Old 02-10-2005, 09:09 AM   #11
95VicChik
AF Newbie

Yes i have a uber tight belt and that was squeaking before i put this on....but this is coming directly out of the intake, sorry i haven't checked back on the responses, i will definitely try the suggestions that you guys have given...thanks for the comment about me getting my hands dirty..if i can't figure it out, then it's alright, the Z6 won't be in there for long hence the cheap intake...ill let you guys know if any of these things help out...i'm at school right now so i won't be able to do anything to it until tomorrow

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Warehoused Archives > Girl Racers' Spot