Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > XLR and XLR-V
View Poll Results: XLR worth its $70,000 Price Tag?
I'll pay anything to get the XLR 7 25.00%
Hell Not worth it 7 25.00%
hell yes includes all positive answers 3 10.71%
hell no includes all negative answers 1 3.57%
I don't give a fuck about the price I want this car 5 17.86%
I don't Give a fuck about the price, I hate this car 1 3.57%
Neutral 0 0%
Options 1, 3 and 5 1 3.57%
Options 2, 4, and 6 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 06:36 PM   #61
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Re: XLR worth the $70,000 Price Tag?

You can't say the Viper is better*

Fuck the fast and the furious,
Ride slow and luxurious

Old 12-13-2004, 07:30 AM   #62
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Jeesh, sorry I cannot be at your every whim, I'm bloody busy enough as it is.

Firstly, how on earth is an Envoy/Trailbalzer going to be more competent offroad than the Blazer of old (Which wasn't that competent in the frist place) IIRC they ditched the solid axles for independent suspension, sounds like a mumsy wagon dressed like an SUV to me.

Anyway the XLR and Viper are completely different cars, the Viper is a track-day monster and a modern-day AC Cobra 427, the XLR is a posers roadster. There are also many places that'll let you explore the limits of anycar, they're called autocourses (Or racetracks if you will), that's what cars like the Viper were made to go on.

Ecotecs are decently reliable, but will never set the world on fire, a Honda or Toyota engine with VVT/DOHC VTEC (Such as the K20A and the B18C) is more reliable and performs better, while the 2.4 Turbo in the SRT4 is also better built and better-performing. My point is that the ECOTEC is behind the times.

If the STS is anything as good as the CTS then I don't doubt that it'll be better than a 300C, but at the end of the day it's still ugly and I still wouldn't buy one on the basis that I like cars with simple rounded lines, not a series of ruled lines that go absolutely nowhere.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 12-19-2004, 04:44 PM   #63
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Quote:
Firstly, how on earth is an Envoy/Trailbalzer going to be more competent offroad than the Blazer of old (Which wasn't that competent in the frist place) IIRC they ditched the solid axles for independent suspension, sounds like a mumsy wagon dressed like an SUV to me.
Im pretty sure I didn't say that.

Quote:
Anyway the XLR and Viper are completely different cars, the Viper is a track-day monster and a modern-day AC Cobra 427, the XLR is a posers roadster. There are also many places that'll let you explore the limits of anycar, they're called autocourses (Or racetracks if you will), that's what cars like the Viper were made to go on.
Do you think the Viper is worth 100 grand?Tell me why if you think so.And also explain to me why the XLR is a posers Roadster.But you have to pay to use racetracks.Why buy a 100,000 dollar car if you have you pay more to use the power.Doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Ecotecs are decently reliable, but will never set the world on fire, a Honda or Toyota engine with VVT/DOHC VTEC (Such as the K20A and the B18C) is more reliable and performs better, while the 2.4 Turbo in the SRT4 is also better built and better-performing. My point is that the ECOTEC is behind the times.
Its funny you say that.LOL.I received an email this morning.Remember my buddy with the SRT-4?Yea,well his head gasket went last night.Didn't realize it until he got almost home and the engine died.Are the really as reliable as you claim them to be?I will agree that Honda and Toyota engines are very reliable.As well as the Ecotecs.

Quote:
If the STS is anything as good as the CTS then I don't doubt that it'll be better than a 300C, but at the end of the day it's still ugly and I still wouldn't buy one on the basis that I like cars with simple rounded lines, not a series of ruled lines that go absolutely nowhere.
The STS and CTS are both worlds better than the 300C NO doubt.And you made a mistake in your post,YOU think the STS is ugly.In April i was at the New York International Auto Show and there was this massive crowd of well over 100 people with their eyes glued to the STS.They can't be that ugly if Cadillac is having trouble manufacturing the demand for the car.I personnely think the car is beautiful and ten times nicer than the 300(which has no rounded lines which you claim to love on a car) that looks like a box.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:23 PM   #64
SabreKhan
The middle pedal is bad

Honda and Toyota are reliable, yes, but the Ecotec is no slouch, either. Actually, even the pre-Ecotec GM motors have served me well over the years. I drove a Suburban for a quarter-million (255,800 or so) miles before I traded it in for my Saturn SL which now has 120,000 on it. No problems with either engine *at all*. Both cars had/have regular maintenance and the occasional broken part, but never anything at all with the motor itself. My father's GM vehicles have also been exceptional. The 130,000mile pickup truck finally needed a valve job, but otherwise no problems with them, either. Mom's Acura has also been a paragon of reliability, though, too. My Subaru has not been tested as yet for reliability, but it has served me well for the first 20,000. The lesson I've learned: if you keep your engine happy, it will keep you happy.

2004 Impreza WRX (SCCA DS 519)
2000 Saturn SL
Old 02-16-2005, 04:34 PM   #65
ThatRoundHeadedKid
AF Enthusiast

key words exceptional
Ride #1: 1994 Mercedes-Benz W124 E320 Coupe (My first car/love)
Ride #2: 1975 Mercedes-Benz W116 280S (The restoration/hobby/project car)

~Chris~
My Diecast Collection!
Old 04-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #66
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

I would rather pay 70K for a CTS-V than an XLR.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:05 PM   #67
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Re: Re: Re: XLR worth the $70,000 Price Tag?

Jimster,

Have you driven a new Cadillac XLR?

Maserati and Alfa Romeo might make an SUV together.

check here: news about Maserati/Alfa Romeo SUV

The new Toyota Aygo is the same as the new Peugeot 107 which is the same as the new Citroen C1.

The new Mustang convertible's chassis has more than twice the torsional stiffness of the previous Mustang convertible.

The new convertible was designed alongside the new coupe.

Car & Driver ranked its rigidity on par with a BMW 3 series convertible.

The new Mustang has earned high marks from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, with five stars for the driver and passenger front crash test, four stars for side impact, and five stars for rollover.

Check this article

New Mustang

The new Mustang won 5 races in Grand-Am Cup this season and Ford won the Championship.

check here

http://www.multimaticmotorsports.com/mustang/index.html

http://www.grandamerican.com

Ford has shown their all-new 3.5 liter V-6.

check the link

All-new 3.5 liter V-6 engine

The 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 will be the fastest, most powerful, and best engineered factory Mustang ever built.

475 hp 2007 Ford Shelby GT500

The new Chrysler 300 has generated more exictement, sales, and awards than just about any other sedan over the past decade.

check this link

Chrysler 300C SRT8

300C SRT8 shown below

The new Dodge Magnum has also generated more sales and excitement than just about any other station wagon EVER offered in North America.

check here

Dodge Magnum SRT8

The new Cadillac STS-V is nice.

check here

New STS-V

and here

469 hp Cadillac STS-V

"This supercharger is worthy of special note - engineers were happy to tell us that this blower operates with some 30% less drag than the Ford GT's supercharger, and the intercooler has 50 cooling fins per inch length of the pipeline."

- from motorsportscenter.com

Here is a video of the new STS-V

STS-V video

The 2006 Corvette Z06 is awesome.

check the link

New Corvette Z06

Check this link about the 2006 Pontiac Solstice

New 2006 Pontiac Solstice

The new Pontiac Solstice will be raced in Grand-Am Cup. Pontiac has more than 15,000 orders for the Solstice.

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. says it plans to race its Pontiac Solstice in future Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Showroom Stock B-Class races against the Mazda Miata and BMW M3.

The auto maker also will use the Solstice to compete on the Grand Am Cup ST-Class racing circuit in 2006, according to Mark Reuss, executive director of GM's Performance Div.

Reuss says the Solstice that will enter the racing circuit will be the '07 Solstice GT Coupe.

“We have the '06 Pontiac Solstice, (and) right now the car we're introducing doesn't have a roof, so look for that to change,” he tells attendees at the Society of Automotive Engineers conference here.

Reuss says while the Stock-B Class has been dominated by Mazda's Miata, as well as the BMW Z4 and Acura RSX, he expects the Solstice to “take that championship” when the car hits the Stock-B circuit next year.

The Solstice Coupe also will compete in the Grand Am ST Class racing circuit against the BMW 330 and Mazda RX-8 next year, Reuss adds.

The experience gained on the racing circuit will continue to play a vital role in developing performance derivatives of future GM products, he says.

- wardsauto.com

The new Chevrolet Cobalt is huge improvement over the Cavalier.

check here

New Chevy Cobalt

It has already won three races in Grand-Am Cup.

"Just a few miles down the road from the factory that builds the Chevrolet Cobalt and with several Cobalt builders in attendance, Andy Lally and co-driver Jamie Holtom co-drove the No. 00 Georgian Bay Motorsports Cobalt to a popular Sport Touring (ST) class victory in the Grand-Am Cup 200 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

Lally kept the pressure on leader Don Salama in the No. 95 Turner Motorsport 330i throughout the closing minutes and pounced on the opportunity to take the lead when Salama made contact with the lapped No. 20 Nuzzo Motorsports Mini Cooper of Tony Nuzzo with fewer than four laps remaining to secure the victory.

"It was all about managing traffic," Lally said. "Don (Salama) got blocked by a slower car and I was able to slip by and get that win. It was great to be able to do that in full view of the 600 plus UAW partners here from the Lordstown, Ohio plant where the Cobalt SS Supercharged are made."

Holtom, who qualified the car sixth in the ST class, avoided trouble early before handing control to Lally during a full-course caution at approximately the halfway point of the race. Holtom gave credit to the car for keeping him out of trouble during his stint.

"The torque of the Cobalt engine helped me out of a tight hole when a slower car spun coming out of the esses (early in the race)," Holtom said. "The brakes were good, too."

The win was the second of the season for each of the Georgian Bay Motorsports drivers. Holtom won the Mosport 200 in June with his father, Jim, and Lally won with the elder Holtom in Round 4 at Watkins Glen International."

- grandamerican.com

Cobalts at Mosport

Mosport

Last edited by Jaguar D-Type; 05-08-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #68
doock87
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to doock87

i'll gladly pay 70 grand for a c5 corvette with different body panels. yes sir.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:32 PM   #69
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792

Quote:
Originally Posted by doock87
i'll gladly pay 70 grand for a c5 corvette with different body panels. yes sir.
It's based off of the C6 corvette chassis dumbass, everything else about it is completely different.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #70
ThatRoundHeadedKid
AF Enthusiast

Old Thread!!!
Ride #1: 1994 Mercedes-Benz W124 E320 Coupe (My first car/love)
Ride #2: 1975 Mercedes-Benz W116 280S (The restoration/hobby/project car)

~Chris~
My Diecast Collection!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #71
fastdupree
AF Regular

The Cadillac XLR is not $70,000.00 anymore. It is more close to $80,000.00 now and the XLR-V series is about $100,000.00 or more. From what I've seen at car shows and at GM test drive events that I've been to, the XLR is pretty much well deserved of the Cadillac name. If you are at all a car fan, you would know that Cadillac is not only the best american nameplate but it has pulled much further away from the likes of Lincoln and Chrysler and become a more serious contender for Mercedes, Lexus and BMW. The XLR might not be as perfect as a SL600 but damn close to it. Car magazines always have great things to say about it. And judging by how great this new CTS is to it's competitors, I'm sure the next generation XLR will be something to behold. I've only asked 2 owners how they felt about theirs and they both said they would never let it go. I also understand that the XLR is not an easy car to get at your Cadillac dealer these days. The 2009 CTS-V will also rule when it comes out.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #72
greg berlin
AF Newbie

WHO? cares about price , i can own a bugattie/lambo/maybach/rolls/or meclearen!!!!!
point is its not money people its the the whole exercise got it ................................
greg berlin reni nv...... extrordinaire millionaire...........................2009........ .
Old 03-07-2009, 06:18 AM   #73
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Thread necrophillia....

Looks like the market agreed with me, as the XLR makes its way to join the Allante.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > XLR and XLR-V