Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > NASCAR
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

Car of Tomorrow

The car of tomorrow will debut next year. what do you guys think about it? i personally am not looking forward to it. i think it is a step back in technology and aerodynamics. all the safety improvements could be done to the current cars. i think its a mistake but i hope nascar proves me wrong.
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:11 AM   #2
Dyno247365
AF Enthusiast

Re: Car of Tomorrow

mind giving us a link...or a picture...or a description of what the hell you're talking about?

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 5spd!!!
1987 Chevy Iroc-Z- -Needs a new cat
1992 Nissan 240sx 5spd- SOLD
Dyno247365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno247365
mind giving us a link...or a picture...or a description of what the hell you're talking about?
excuse me... its only all over nascar news, i didnt think itd be necessary.

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/head...row/index.html

Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 AM   #4
Dyno247365
AF Enthusiast

Sorry, I'm just now starting to watch NASCAR, infact I'm watching right now.

I saw that picture before and thought it was a hoax, that looks extremely riceriffic. Why would they do that?

Old 11-07-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

well from what i understand nascar wants to make the race cars less aero dependent so they dont push as bad in corners. this way the drivers will be able to race side-by-side better. much like what you see if you watch an irl race. only problem is the cars look dumb, and from what ive read it isnt working. the drivers that have tested it so far say it handles worse in traffic than the current cars. the other thing they are doing is changing some things in the basic design of the car in order to make it safer in the even of an accident. all the changes they made in that aspect though could have been done to the current cars if they really wanted. i think it is unnecessary.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

Darryl Waltrip couldn't have said it better:

It's UGLY!!!

I'm sure there will be some astetic changes to it as it is ran (they're already finding cooling problems with the front "wicker" design). I give the wing a very short life span as well. Ever so slowly it will confrorm back to a "normal" looking sanctioned car of today.

But then again, what's so "normal" about today"s cars? Whatever happend to a manufacturer having to produce 500 general public models of a car in order to have raced? Even funnier, a performance Monte, OK, no prob, a performance Charger, uh huh, BUT, a performance Fusion? (sure SVT came up with the 5.0 Focus, but..) Oh, but wait, there's more: A performance Camary

You know, the same reaction did come about when Dodge entered the Charger and SuperBees of the late 60's the reaction was close to the same.

I think Nascar better rename itself, not much stock left in stock cars now is there?

I'm not even going to get started on the post I wanted to put up in regards to the Harvick/Riggs issue.

Every week I find myself more and more out of touch with something that used to be enjoyable.
wrightz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
SabreKhan
The middle pedal is bad

I do like the attempt to look more like the actual car it's supposed to be. I think, if they do it right, they could sell the wings and air dams and stuff to the average car buyers and create a "steak" phenomenon much like the "rice" phenomenon of the Japanese-car market. I do, though, like that they're moving back towards a stock shape.

2004 Impreza WRX (SCCA DS 519)
2000 Saturn SL
SabreKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
Dyno247365
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKhan
I do like the attempt to look more like the actual car it's supposed to be. I think, if they do it right, they could sell the wings and air dams and stuff to the average car buyers and create a "steak" phenomenon much like the "rice" phenomenon of the Japanese-car market. I do, though, like that they're moving back towards a stock shape.
I heard "Coorsers"

Can someone enlighten me to why the racing isn't as interesting anymore? I've been watching road racing for a while and now I'm into NASCAR.

The reason they use slow cars is to sell more of those cars, it's all about exposure and winning the races.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
EnduroDriver01
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to EnduroDriver01

If they can get the front splitter working the way they planned for it to work I think that the CoT will be a good thing. With that extra downforce in the front, the dreaded aero push that the drivers get when they come up behind someone should go away. Also, with the bigger hole that the cars punch in the air, I'd expect them to be alot like the trucks, which should make the racing at Daytona and Talladega more exciting (possibly similar to the aero package of 2000-2001?). They're already talking about opening the plates up or possibly elminating them entirely with the introduction of a new gear rule (it'll still limit the top speed, but at least the drivers will get that throttle response they want). As far as the looks, who cares? If they can get the thing to run the way they planned, its gonna improve racing and will definitely improve safety, and isnt that whats most important? I hope this works for NASCAR, I've been excited by the prospect of more side by side racing, and I dont want to be let down.
EnduroDriver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

ive been excited by the prospect of more side by side racing to, but ive been discouraged by drivers saying that the car handles worse in traffic than the current ones. the other issue i have is the wing. it looks rediculous and is not on any stock car. i think they should go with their other idea and use a spoiler that is straight across the back instead of curved, much like you see on the trucks. it acomplishes the same goal of making a less turbulent wake behind the car.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #11
EnduroDriver01
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to EnduroDriver01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStang00
ive been excited by the prospect of more side by side racing to, but ive been discouraged by drivers saying that the car handles worse in traffic than the current ones. the other issue i have is the wing. it looks rediculous and is not on any stock car. i think they should go with their other idea and use a spoiler that is straight across the back instead of curved, much like you see on the trucks. it acomplishes the same goal of making a less turbulent wake behind the car.
yeah, the drivers' complaints have been discouraging for me too, but im trying to stay optimistic. Im not too big a fan of the wing either, and I dont understand why a flat spoiler like that wouldnt work, but if the wing helps the car perform better, ill deal with it. Ive been critical of NASCAR lately, but I'm confident that they can work out the handling issues.
EnduroDriver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #12
SabreKhan
The middle pedal is bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStang00
Meh. It's a brand new car that they basically built from scratch using a stock-car as a starting point. They'll eventually get all the handling/performance issues figured out. I wanna see them race before I make any final judgements on them, though, as far as performance goes. And also, what are they going to call them next year? "Car of Tomorrow" only works when they're not in use until tomorrow. "Car of Today" doesn't really work because next year they're using both versions. "The one with the wing" and "The one without the wing" I think should be the official designations.

2000 Saturn SL
Old 11-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #13
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

Probably the 'car of today' willbe the 2006 model and the 'car of tomorrow' the 2007 model
wrightz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #14
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

new car, old car
Old 11-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #15
SabreKhan
The middle pedal is bad

Is it just me, or does the "Car of Tomorrow" name evoke images of super-futuristic concept cars from the 50's and the 80's? And then, when you actually see the CoT, it's a little disappointing that that's what they came up with to go with that name.

2000 Saturn SL

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > NASCAR