Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > M6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 04:18 PM   #1
Scorpion965
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Scorpion965
Smile To buy or not to buy?

Hello,
I am giving serious thought to picking up a 1984 BMW M6. This car currently belongs to a friend who is moving to Germany (from cali), I know he would never sell it unless he had to, he has offered it to me for $10,000. This car is in SHOWROOM quality, last year it was repainted, the interior was redone (in white leather), and the engine was rebuilt and brought back to stock spec. This car would retail for around $18,000 (its in that good of a condition). Other cars in slightly worse condition are on autotrader's page for $20K. I have personally driven in this vehicle, I have put it to the max, and I like what I see.

The specs (from G-Tech pro on way to Las Vegas last year)

0-60 - 6.5seconds
max accel. - 158mph
horsepower - 298bhp

This is stock, for a 17 year old car. I was wondering if anybody had personal experiance with the M6 series? Or if anybody knew of some nice aftermarket performance products? I am looking to get around 350bhp with a supercharger, but I am not sure if there is one around, could I use a M1 supercharger on the engine? Quite a few resources say it is the exact same engine, so theoretically I could install a stock M1 charger, no? Then again in the M6 the engine is at a 30 degree tilt to fit in the chassis, would this affect placement?
Scorpion965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 05:42 PM   #2
Mylacc
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Mylacc Send a message via AIM to Mylacc
cars in general

Im not saying its not a great car condition model and everything else wise
i dunno alot about BMWs myself
but in general older cars are inferior in small insignificant and unnoticalbe ways

there are smaller advances the industry makes along the way that arnt really media gains
like new mixes of metals and such making cars more efficient or perform better

and the new emissions there trying to implement into all 50 states
for pollution and such makes alot of old cars unpassable cause of the type of metal used

i wouldnt get anything older then a 88 or so to actually drive
Mylacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 09:25 AM   #3
328isRob
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 328isRob
First off the price is way too high, unless the car has few miles on it, but since you said the engine was rebuilt I'm going to assume that it doesn't. A 87 M6 retails for 10k with 98,000 miles on it. If you could get it for 8-9 I would grab it. Forget about putting a supercharger in it. The car will be a classic shortly (by definition) if not alreay (by enthuasist). If possible buy the car and DONT DRIVE IT. It it a classic one one of the original M series and it is doubtfull that there will be another M6... just like there will NEVER be another M1.
Old 12-15-2001, 07:08 PM   #4
Honda Killer
AF Newbie

BUY IT!! If it's an 84, it meas its a grey market car shipped independently from Germany. The only new car for less that $50k thats nicer than an old BMW or Mercedes is a new BMW or Mercedes. If you were to buy it for $10k you could probably turn around and sell it to a collector for $15k. Blue book value dosen't necissarily reflect what some people would pay for it, I see most e30 M3's with over 100k miles sell for over $10k. Don't supercharge it, theres a company out here on the east coast called Korman Autoworks that sells headers, and other add-ons that could help you get close to 350hp with out the loss of value or engine damage. They have a website, but you will have to look it up on a search engine. It may be 17 years old, but you will get a lot more looks from an M6 in decent condidion than almost any new car.
Honda Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 02:53 PM   #5
crayzayjay
CFA

its worth buying for the white leather alone
how pimpy. how 80's

cheers
jay
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 05:19 PM   #6
3.5litermoose
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 3.5litermoose
10,000 dollars isnt over priced at all for an M6! especially if its showroom quality! M6's have 285 hp, and they can rip major ass! They are a very unique, rare BMW and youll be getting all sorts of star's from people. Definately buy it, because that is one hell of deal.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:35 PM   #7
esic
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to esic
i was at the bmw dealership today and he was telling me that they are bringing out the new 6 series in either 2003 or 2004.. he said that includes the m6 and before today i have never even heard of the m6.. does any1 have any pictures of it? the older one..or if anyone has heard or seen anything on the newer one..?
thankz
Old 08-17-2002, 09:59 AM   #8
crayzayjay
CFA

The 6-series is scheduled to come out in late 2003/early 2004, with the cabrio version to follow the coupe. Dont expect the M6 until late 2004 at the very earliest
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:46 AM   #9
El Tristano
AF Newbie

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Is it U.S. spec?
El Tristano is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > M6