Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Excel
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
91talondsm
AF Newbie

need to no how to charge a/c in hyundai excel

i own a 91 talon tsi and my girl just bot a 93 excel and needs ac charged so im just gettin info. what line do i tap into to charge the ac?and is it the r134a?thanks
550cc's,walbro 255fp,stock 14b at 15psi,palm m130 with mmcd logging software,2 1/2in. down pipe to 3in. exhaust, high flow cat.,2g maf with k&n,custom intake,aftermarket boost guage,mbc,6 bolt with 160 compression. in closet:b16ge3 turbo,rochester 680cc inj.

wish list:wideband,headers,1000cc,e85 conversion,dsm link or map,fmic,20g,272 cams,arp head studs,2600 clutch,lsd,keydriver,. 13sec. daily driver goals.
91talondsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: need to no how to charge a/c in hyundai excel

I dont know when Hyundai switched to R-134a, but the fittings are different. For an R12 system they are thread-on fittings. For an R-134a system, the fittings are a sort of clip-on-type of fitting. They are also noticeably larger than the older fittings that were used with the R-12 systems. If you go into an autoparts store, you will find most all available fittings and hoses have the R-134s style fittings. One reason for this is that you cant buy R-12 anymore unless you have a license to do a.c. work. Even so the R-12 is really expensive, as its no longer made in the U.S. (and is probably smuggled in from Mexico). R-134a is fairly cheap, and an ordinary hobbyist can still buy it in the individual cans.
You Always add freon and lubricant to the low pressure side of the system -- only. This would be the hose that is cool when the system is running. If its so low on freon that it wont run, then look for the line that runs between the evaporator (inside the car) and the compressor. Thats the low side. The high side runs from the compressor to the condenser in front of the radiator.
Any system that is low on freon is most probably also low on lubricant. So you need to add some lubricant along with the freon. If you add too much - thats bad. If you dont add enough, thats just as bad. And there is more than one kind of lubricant used with R-134a, it depends on your vehicle. Also adding too much freon is bad - and its not simple to tell when you have it right. Its one of the reasons I dont bother to fix auto a.c. systems much. Also I dont have the equipment required to do it properly.
There is a good website where you can learn all about this:
www.ackits.com - then find the word 'forum' on the home page, and click on that, or find the FAQ link. You can also put in your make model and year, and have it tell you which type of refrigerant that system can handle.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Excel