Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #31
enslow
AF Regular

Re: Trouble Shooting Rear Defogger

Look at one of my previous posts in this thread. You will see a picture of the connector you can get from Lordco, or something equivalent. Forget about using OEM connectors. You will need to solder one end of the connector directly to the module, then splice/solder the other end of the connector to the free end of the wire. You will be using a new connector.
enslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #32
ncsparky1
AF Newbie

I called GM about this problem, and ask them if there were any recalls or at least a better quality module, and they ended up saying all I could do was take it to a dealer and have them look at. They said there was no better replacement, so all I would end up doing is to pay them big bucks for the same thing and possibly have the same problem down the road. They said they wasn't aware of the problem. That's a little hard to believe, since it has happened so many times. If that is true, maybe everybody that has had the problem needs to call them. Just in case someone wants to call them the number is 1-866-790-5600 extension 31289. The lady was very nice and did ask around, but that was all she could come up with. Seems like a shame, but that's the way it goes these days. I found the same module for $ 39.45 at Amazon.com. Well thanks for all the help. This is a great site for information, especially on this problem. I've waited probably 6 or 7 years to try to fix it because I wasn't sure how to get to it. You guys lead me right to it. Thanks again.
ncsparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #33
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsparky1 View Post
I called GM about this problem, and ask them if there were any recalls or at least a better quality module, and they ended up saying all I could do was take it to a dealer and have them look at. They said there was no better replacement, so all I would end up doing is to pay them big bucks for the same thing and possibly have the same problem down the road. They said they wasn't aware of the problem. That's a little hard to believe, since it has happened so many times. If that is true, maybe everybody that has had the problem needs to call them. Just in case someone wants to call them the number is 1-866-790-5600 extension 31289. The lady was very nice and did ask around, but that was all she could come up with. Seems like a shame, but that's the way it goes these days. I found the same module for $ 39.45 at Amazon.com. Well thanks for all the help. This is a great site for information, especially on this problem. I've waited probably 6 or 7 years to try to fix it because I wasn't sure how to get to it. You guys lead me right to it. Thanks again.
You think this is bad? You just wait until you see your fan blower resistor thing. It's much worse then this. I could not believe that I was driving a car with a melted wire and resistor all melted on the fire wall. On this one GM has a bigger plug with bigger wires going to it to replace it with.

I did a thread on it with pictures somewhere here at the forums.

enslow, I can't picture what I'm supposed to do with the connectors that you posted. Could you take a picture of how you did the mod? Or explain it more so I can understand what to do?

Thank you,
Chris.

Chris.
Used 111,000 Motor, All New Gaskets
Used 102,000 Transmission - SOLD
New Balance 662
Trek 8000
happydog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #34
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

Wanted to update this in case someone does a search for this subject. I was driving home and went by a wrecking yard. I stopped by just to check to see if they had a car with a plug. They had a 95 so I took the C panel off and checked the plug. It was good as new looking. I checked the module and it looked good as new. Even the metal tabs inside where shinny looking.
The car had 130,000+ miles on it. I clipped the plug and got it for $1. I went back in and got the module for $10.

I put it in and I could hear the radio was crisper and clearer. I went out of town about 5 miles and could not get any stations. I went back and checked everything seemed OK. I was mad and wiggled the plug that goes to the window and pushed hard. It clicked in more. I had thought it was in all the way but after wiggling it and pushing it hard it goes in more then what I thought.

Wanted to post my experience in case someone else doesn't get very good reception after replacing the plug or module.

Maybe this is why GM doesn't have a 'better' one or a recall. This car with over 130,000 miles had a plug, wires and a module that had no problem at all. I could tell it was original and everything looked like it was brand new.

If you do anything to the plug or module, make sure the plugs go all the way in. It can seem like it won't go in more, but the plug and the tabs don't align since there's a lot of play.

Chris.
New Balance 662
Trek 8000
Old 02-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #35
enslow
AF Regular

I'll post a picture of my connector when I get a chance. Things have been very busy lately.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #36
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Is this it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enslow View Post
Update:
I soldered 14 guage wire to the module for the heater circuit (purple wire, closest to centre on module). I replaced the original conector with a weatherpack connector:

Attachment 44312

Attachment 44313

16 or 18 guage wire gets too hot. You must use at least 14 guage wire for the heater (purple) wire.

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #37
enslow
AF Regular

I think what happydog wants is a picture of the connector installed in the car. I soldered one end of the connector to the defogger module and the other end of the connector to the existing wiring from the relay end. I'll try to get to it as soon as I can, but it may be a couple of weeks. I may have a brake issue to worry about soon. (groan.... more car work....)
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #38
enslow
AF Regular

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply my brakes were groaning, that was me groaning. My brakes are grabbing, but I don't want to get a discussion of my brakes on this thread just now.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #39
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

Wanted to update my update. With the new connector and module, I don't get near the reception i got before the first one went bad.

Static when I go just out of town, when I got reception 100 miles away. I turn on the rear defogger at home and get static. Just isn't the same.

The only thing I can think of that's different is I have crimp connectors on the wires. Don't think this is enough to make a difference, but it's the only thing that's different. Radio reception is important so this is a bummer for me.

Chris.
New Balance 662
Trek 8000
Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #40
Tech II
AF Fanatic

As stated in other posts, if the FM recepton is ok, but goes static with the rear defogger on, then the ribbons in the W/S probably have a break in them, causing the static condition....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #41
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

Ribbons are very good. Static is both with defroster on and without. It just gets a little worse with it on.
I plugged in the wires with the module in place. It sits at a cocked angle up against the wall so I will go back in and take the module off and put the wires in, then put the module up on the post to make sure everything fits in OK.

Chris.
New Balance 662
Trek 8000
Old 11-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #42
geno131
AF Newbie

5 yrs after original post...I wanted to thank happydog500 and others here. My 98 Buick Century had identical defroster/antena module melt. Easily repaired with all of your assistance and dialogue TY all

geno
geno131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #43
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

Your welcome!!

I've seen in may posts in the internet, after several years, people delete the pictures they have at places like photo bucket. This makes it so they don't show up.

I left mine up because I thought in the future, who knows who could benefit from it. Glad you did.

I have an update;

I later found my bad reception was from getting my windows tinted. Some tints have mettle in them. common problem.

I did all kinds of things trying to get better reception. I finally went in and asked the tinter and he said yes, he used the mettle kind.

Chris.
New Balance 662
Trek 8000

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre