Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Corolla/Matrix/Voltz
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 03:39 AM   #1
thaddeusthudpucker
AF Newbie

Brake job advice needed

Hi,

My first Post!

To the point, I have a 1975 corolla that is in desperate need of a brake job, as in I think I popped a wheel cylinder on the left rear wheel. If this is going to get done, I am going to have to do it myself. I have a basic understanding of how brakes work, but I would really like to know how big of a can of worms I am opening here.

First question: Is $200 in parts and a weekend a reasonable estimate on getting this done?

Second question: Has anybody done a brake job on their Corolla and can you advise on how easy/hard this is going to be?

My work situation has changed and I can no longer get rides, becuase I now work 11pm to 7am. Also, I really like this car (it is my first) and the interior is in reasonably good shape. It runs like a champ, but obviously stopping is a bit of a problem at the moment!

Thanks in advance,
Nathan
thaddeusthudpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:27 AM   #2
G.A.S.
AF Regular

Re: Brake job advice needed

ahh, a 1975, piece of cake.
get both rear wheel cylinders and change both. Plan on changing both steal lines from the wheel cyl. to the rubber hose, you'll have less headachs. cut those steal lines right at the cylinder and rear hose connection, this way you can use a socket to remove the threaded piece from the cylinder and the hose connection. If you have room to get the bolts out of the wheel cylinder you dont need to remove the line fitting at the cylinder.
as for the shoes, jack up the rear, use jack stands, remove both wheels and drumbs and do one side at a time. that way you have one side to fall back on for referance.
Get shoes and a hardware kit, that is a must. You might have troubles with the emergency break strut rod being engauged. Of course I dont recomend it but remove the strut rod and leave it out. Unless your using the emerg. break everyday, you will find the cables to be frozen up and in need of replacement.
bleed the breaks and you should be good to go.
Of course the proper tools help but on this car a basic set of tools will do the trick.
good luck and let us know how you make out..
G.A.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
cheesep
AF Newbie

Re: Brake job advice needed

cheesep is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Corolla/Matrix/Voltz