Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc
untitled- Mk1

Yes untitled, since I lost minutes trying to get a name.....
I'll try to give you one idea of what I have in mind......

It would be something like a '20 boardtracker, speaking of general appeal, but it would be built on a softail frame (call it shortcut.... but the frame is... nice... )

The engine is the stock 80 inches evo but I want to use shovel heads over.

The "main topic" however, is another: my first laced rims.

A couple inspirational shots: it would be a mix of the following with some "gio"'s touches

(images taken from Lowride 4 and5/2009 just for discussion)

Like other times I started design and etching few special parts

My ita friend Disca asked me what was those squashed seagull bird in the PE set...

it is my fuel tank!

Now one accurate brazing job wait me.

Time to speak about my rims odissey... I started with resin turned rims.... they worked well until I discovered that I got 40 spokes and 38 holes..... dammn gio... maths is not my better side....

Time for the battle, I decided for the heavy way... get alu rims! (7075 ergal to be fine...)

My lathe wasn't enthusiast to work with those huge parts... but at last it worked decently....

All I needed then was a million nipples (most tedious job I done ever), drill and to enlace spokes (nipples done with syringe bits cutted and filed, spokes with 0.36 plain steel chors for guitar)

and so.... ladies and gentlemen I'll introduce you my first scratchbuilt latched wheel....

it work better now uh?

I guess I would be busy next months... million latched wheels to do for my ducatis, guzzi, harley..... indians...

stay tuned!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
auw12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to auw12
Re: untitled- Mk1

My word... I just love your style of keeping trying new stuff, which makes you... young... Great work buddy, as always~
auw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
stratos75
Loser

outstanding job
Old 07-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Thanks guys! Said by you two badass has double value!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
utzelu
AF Newbie

I am speechless - photoetched tank, lacing... great work.

Could you tell me what lathe did u use for turning the aluminum rim? I am in the process of buying one for exactly the same purpose - custom parts for model cars/bikes, specially turning wheels/rims. I was thinking about Sherline lathe.

http://scalemodelsadventures.blogspot.com
utzelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Ask to Andy/MPWR about the sherline: he uses one. As far I'm aware about it is fantastic stuff. It is also not cheap but for us overseas guys may be a good choice with decent $/€ rates, I'm thinking by ages about a Sherline CNC mill.

BTW I have a Einhell lathe, it is a classic chinese minilathe (search minilathe on google...) only a little better assembled, not enough to do decent jobs: you have to completely rebuild adjusting sliding surfaces and tolerances. BTW I think the most important things are good sharp cutting blades and the sensitivity on your hand to know when the lathe/material/knife combo is working bad due height adj. or other factors.

To fill rims isn't the easiest option: you have to fill "inside" and this way ask even more by you... and you must to fill keeping the bar/tube with the chuck fingers, so you keep just a small lenght of the tube.... not safe job for novices, better "take hand" filling small diameters inside the chuck before....

I think the Sherline lathe (they offer several) is small and good for small parts, but ask Andy and sure he'll give advice, or take a visit to the machining area here on AF.

Sorry for rude english.... I type quiccccckkkkkkkkk!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Fantastic job as ever Gio!

Hope you don't mind, but I am going to be critical about the rims! They seem to be suffering from 'chatter' were the cutting tool bounces across the metal and creates a pattern. I am guessing it may be because you are using the long cutting edge of the tool flat against the metal?

If that is the case, a good way to avoid this is to use the pointed tip of the tool and set the cross-slide saddle up at the angle of the cut eg. say 10 degrees of square for the rim edges. This will allow you to cut the angle cleanly with the tool tip. I know it's a real arse to set up when doing difficult profiles like rims, but the results are really worth it.

Forgive me if you know this already, but I thought it may also help other modellers wanting to do rims on a lathe!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster View Post
Fantastic job as ever Gio!

Hope you don't mind, but I am going to be critical about the rims! They seem to be suffering from 'chatter' were the cutting tool bounces across the metal and creates a pattern. I am guessing it may be because you are using the long cutting edge of the tool flat against the metal?

If that is the case, a good way to avoid this is to use the pointed tip of the tool and set the cross-slide saddle up at the angle of the cut eg. say 10 degrees of square for the rim edges. This will allow you to cut the angle cleanly with the tool tip. I know it's a real arse to set up when doing difficult profiles like rims, but the results are really worth it.

Forgive me if you know this already, but I thought it may also help other modellers wanting to do rims on a lathe!
Thanks man: TBH I know the stuff but also that is annoyng unmount the upper tower to rotate the saddle , but I agree: it worth!
For this time I was too much excited to try the whole work steps, from the rims filling to the strokes and nipples preps. up to the stroke latching, next time would be good to do few rims more so I'll rotate the saddle to achieve the angled filling, with the same angle for several rims....

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Great idea doing multiple rims in steps as it really is a pain to adjust the saddle each time! One thing that helps me is to draw a cross-section of the rim first, then make a list of the basic angles needed for each edge cut - makes setting up quicker.

If you need a source for stainless steel spokes, or tubes (0.1mm increments) let me know - I've found a great stockist in the UK at last!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
quadzero
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to quadzero

Incredible, I really enjoy your builds. It's always an adventure watching you put something together. The rim is amazing, I look forward to more of this art piece.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #11
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Thanks Les, your post are ever motivating

Cinq. you've got a PM, obviously !!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #12
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionc View Post
Thanks Les, your post are ever motivating

Cinq. you've got a PM, obviously !!!!
G, I didn't get the PM message - my account PM doesn't always work here.

Here is the website:

http://www.kcsm.co.uk/

They're very helpful and well priced. I got enough tubes and wires to do around ten 1/6th bike wheels (about 25 Euros). All I need is the time to make them now!

Tell them I sent you!
The Following User Says Thank You to cinqster For This Useful Post:
gionc (07-05-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Their WS work in a strange way: btw at last I was able to lurke the pdf list: I wanted to ask, when they write "soft" does they meant the kind of tubes sold by Steve, those "really" soft that you may bend like solder or a softer "ever hard" kind of steel that can't be bent so easily?
This may looks odd but... it's important

BTW Thanks a lot I'll place a order and try the assortment is just impressive....
Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionc View Post
Their WS work in a strange way: btw at last I was able to lurke the pdf list: I wanted to ask, when they write "soft" does they meant the kind of tubes sold by Steve, those "really" soft that you may bend like solder or a softer "ever hard" kind of steel that can't be bent so easily?
This may looks odd but... it's important

BTW Thanks a lot I'll place a order and try the assortment is just impressive....
Their website is a bit dodgy at times! Not sure about the soft stuff and wondered if it was the same too, as I've only ordered the hard stuff, so far. The hard 0.7mm x 300mm wire I've used for spokes will bend at a sharp 90 degrees very nicely - especially with good quality square shouldered jewellers pliers. If you not got any, buy some pliers with a 'box joint' hinge - they last much longer!

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #15
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Hi fellows modelers

I have some progress to show, better I leave room to pictures since I lost the few wroten english I got being far from the AF!

Cinqster: I found all I hoped on those online shop.... and much more , also fantastic/friendly service and not expencive, not at all, at last.

parts/components:

we got a pair of shoes, finally

... and some other little goodies:

(secondary transmission belt is a old printer belt...

.. and for sure I would'n live without a wooden saddle...

I guess I may do one for my vintage bicycle.... LOL

very first tests:

and a surprise.... you may warm up steel rods in roder to achieve.....

...more to come

time to think at the saddle mount:

Yeah... now start to keep form: I'll add the "final" patina touch, in other words the character of the bike, as a final step, when I will see all the details together

Verrry first run, like the in the better garages, one illegal test without any license, brakes, exaust.....

And finally last touches:

thanks guys, see you soon ... more wood to turn in the lathe