Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
woodni2010
AF Newbie

08 yukon front end is out of whack

My 08 Yukon was hit about a year ago. They hit me directly at my passenger side wheel while rolling out of a parking lot and I was going roughly 30 mph on the road. We have had to take it back to the repair shop 3 times to get the front end aligned since the original repair (body, interior and front end repairs) It wore both sides of both of the front tires down to the wires with roughly half of the life of the tires still good in the center. When you would do a sharp turn, the vehicle would literally hop.

This last time when we got it back from getting it aligned they said they would move the good tires to the front so they could get a good alignment. After we picked it up after hours the tires were not moved. The bare ones were left on the front and now there is enough play in the steering wheel that you can turn the steering wheel almost 1/4 of the way before it actually starts turning the wheels. I feel like I'm driving dad's old 70 model ranger again.

Here is the best part. Being the typically non-confrontational guy that I am, I went and bought 2 new tires and put them on the back and moved the older ones to the front (the original tires they said they would move). I was planning to go and just get another alignment myself out of my pocket just to get it done right and be done with it UNTIL....as I backed out of the tire shop I hear the passenger side tire rubbing the fender well. I began to do more inspecting and found out that the whole front in is to far to the left by about an inch and off centered by about 1-2 inches.

The drivers side rubber sticks outside the fender wall about an inch and the passenger side is under the fender wall about an inch. The passenger tire is 1.5 inches from the back of the fender wall and the front of the same tire is about 3 inches from the fender wall. On the drivers side it's the same distances but reversed. The front is 1.5 inches from the fender wall and the back is 3 inches from the fender wall.

I'm no mechanic or body guy.....but this seems way off. It does explain why they didn't move the tires, because they saw the rubbing.

They are telling me it's just alignment issues. Other mechanics and body guys are telling me it's frame issues. If it's frame issues I would've thought there was a legal obligation to tell me about it at the time of repairs but I don't know.

Can anybody tell me some good ideas of what I need to look for. I'm at a loss on this one.

Thanks.
woodni2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 08 yukon front end is out of whack

Did you work with an insurance company with the repairs? You need to find a GOOD, QUALITY, frame and alignment shop and have this thing checked out, sounds like there are some serious issues here...
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
damage , end , frame , front , yukon
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon