Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Weighmon1
AF Newbie

Ea82 timing idler bolt pulled out threads HELP....

So my timing idler decided to back out and pulled the threads out, i re drilled it and put in a helicoil but didnt notice it went in crooked so the with it being crooked the pressure pulled the threads and bolts out of the timing tensioner so i drilled those out and helicoiled them but going back together the bolts broke off in the helicoils, so now i have to broken bolts in helicoils in the block for the tensioner and still have a crooked timing idler bolt that is helicoiled in. What can I do? Can the idler be drilled out again straight this time? Help please
Weighmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: Ea82 timing idler bolt pulled out threads HELP....

will have to drill them out and use bigger bolts or find a different type of insert thats a larger dia to fit the stock size bolts or might need to drill out the idler and tensioner holes to accept a larger bolt, might need to pull the engine out to assure you get them done straight this time. you might be tightening them way to tight if your snapping stuff, make sure you use a torque wrench and torque them to proper tightness
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crvett69 For This Useful Post:
Weighmon1 (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Weighmon1
AF Newbie

Re: Ea82 timing idler bolt pulled out threads HELP....

I was thinking of using a stud for the idler if i can get the hole drilled straight since i don't run the timing covers anyway. The motor has 291k on it just need it to hold together for a little while longer, I am doing all repairs in the car since there is no access for a lift or hoist or even a shop or tow from where it is located.
Weighmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > General Discussion