Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
funzi159
AF Newbie

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1 V6 - Transmission doesn't gear while moving the lever

Hello every one! I am a newby in this website and I also post the same request on another website, but I really need help because I have less than 4 weeks to understand what's going on with my Chevy Lumina before I go back to Italy!

So, I have a 1995 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1 V6 with 96800 miles on the clock. Everything was going fine with the car, until one day, right out of the blue, I started the car, set the gear and nothing was happening. I describe you in details. The car is running, I move the lever, but it doesn't set any gear, not even Neutral, it basically doesn't move. But every now and then, after many attempts or completely random, the transmission sets the gear and the car runs. This happens more often with the Drive rather than Reverse, I mean, 5 out of 10 times car does go in Drive, but only 1 out of 10 times it goes in Reverse. I also specify that while driving after the D is set, the car goes miles and miles without slipping or problems of any kind, this problem only occurs when I move the lever into any position. It's like the electronic something sometimes doesn't give the command to move.

I can only force the transmission to set the gear by revving up and moving the lever without pushing the brake, which I know is extremely dangerous, and if I want to set the Reverse, I can only do it while the vehicle is moving. I can give you further details if you ask, I have not read anything about a similar issue so far. I've read about solenoids, TCC, brake sensors, every possible thing, but nothing fits with what happens to me.

A few extra information, related or not; I have a Service Engine Soon light going on, but it's always been ON and never had any problems before. The car is leaking something underneath and a friend of mine told me it could be transmission fluid, but we checked the level and it's OK.

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I really love my Lumina, but I'm gonna be here in the USA for another month!!! Thank you in advance!!!
funzi159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 1995 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1 V6 - Transmission doesn't gear while moving the lever

Do you mean the shift lever won't move, or it moves into dr or rev but the car won't move?
Old 08-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #3
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Re: 1995 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1 V6 - Transmission doesn't gear while moving the lever

1st of all... while engine is idling, on a level surface, and warmed up. Checked the trans fluid level. It should be in the crosshatch section of the dipstick.
1. Look at the color? How does it look? Is it Red? Or Brown?
2. Smell the fluid? How does it smell? Burnt?
3. Use a clean white tissue or paper towel... wipe the dipstick and reread the stick a few times to be sure of getting an accurate reading. How the the fluid look on the towel? Does it wipe off Red, Grey, or Brown?

If it's low add ONLY the appropriate fluid. It's listed on the dipstick. If the level is at the LOW point of the crosshatch marks, add a PINT. = HALF a Qrt.
If the level is at the tip of the stick, add 1 Qrt. No additives.

Once adding, you have to let the vehicle continue to run and the dipstick area to completely drain back down. Then recheck your fluid level.

Post your findings... color, smell, dirt level.....Also, if you want to keep your vehicle running, stop driving it until problem is fixed... or you're looking at $$$

PS, I know you said you checked the fluid, but some people don't know how to check it properly... plus the added info I asked also provides trans condtition.

PPS. Another possibility, if all else checks well... the shifter cable maybe loose or the bracket holder for the cable may have come undone. Hence no driving issues once in gear.... only manually switching gears. This is located on the top of the trans, usually just below the Master Cylinder for the brakes. Black Triangular shaped sensor (Range Sensor) & the cable attaches to the top of it. This is a pic of a similar trans, in order to give you a visual reference.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g4cazub1t...44.30.jpg?dl=0
Old 08-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
funzi159
AF Newbie

Lever does move, but the car doesn't
Old 08-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #5
funzi159
AF Newbie

Thank you for your detailed answer. You may have given me the answer, tomorrow I'm gonna take the Lumina to a shop where they can fix the problem, knowing this I'm much more relieved! I thought I had to replace the whole transmission!
Old 08-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Please update us when you find out the results. I do doubt the trans must be replaced. Looking forward to the update!!
Old 08-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
funzi159
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaCuba View Post
Please update us when you find out the results. I do doubt the trans must be replaced. Looking forward to the update!!
I definitely will, don't worry!
The Following User Says Thank You to funzi159 For This Useful Post:
bellaCuba (08-11-2016)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1995 , 3.1l , chevrolet , lumina
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina