Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #91
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: Marlboro Yamaha YZR500 quartet

So, when cleaning out the room where I do my modeling I found these for boxes and remembered that I stuck them away due to the lack of Modelerīs clear. I now found out what to use instead and I will probably try to finish one or two of the bikes in the near future.

One area that struck me as non-detailed was the rear end computer deck. I'll try and sort this out

/Joel
Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #92
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Glad to know you are going to make these bikes, I hope to see them soon.

Which kit will be next?

Cheers
Roca.
Roca46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #93
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Haha well I can line up what's started already...

4 * Marlboro Yzr500
Revell Chopper
Spiderman M1
Kawasaki ZX-RR

Probably shall finish these off before starting anything new!
/Joel
Old 07-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #94
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist View Post
Haha well I can line up what's started already...

4 * Marlboro Yzr500
Revell Chopper
Spiderman M1
Kawasaki ZX-RR

Probably shall finish these off before starting anything new!
/Joel
Wow! I have a lot to make too, in this case is more important to finish all the started kits and we will see what's next

Hope to see more updates soon

Roca.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roca46 For This Useful Post:
eyckles (12-06-2014)
Old 07-31-2009, 07:18 AM   #95
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Ok, so it needs some touching up and some further detailing with rivets and so on but I guess you get the basic idea. I broke the antenna just before taking the picture so it's a bit gluey.

and here is what I started out with...

/Joel
Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 AM   #96
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Nice detailing here Joel,

I also have 2 YZR500 to rebuild so this will help me a lot to detail the kit.

Keep the good work!

Roca.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #97
ketje
AF Enthusiast

Hi Joel,

good to see you working again on the YZR's.

I'll be watching this .
Old 08-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #98
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments. It will definately raise the appearance although it is far from correct, hard to see all bits from the ref pic angle.
/Joel
Old 09-23-2009, 03:16 AM   #99
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Ok, so I picked the cowls for the 99 bike out yesterday for a clear coat. I have been uncertain regarding zero clear and if it goes on top of Modeler's wich has been my choice of clear earlier. With that sorted out I went to work.

Thought I got dust particles on the first couple of coats but thought they came from the spray boot. Got some water and sprayed to get rid of that problem. It didn't. Top cowl is almost greyish and I now know what was wrong. I have sprayed primer a few months ago onto my chopper build and there was some residue left in the nozzle. As I blew the brush with thinner before painting that residue disolved and came with the clear.

I really don't know how to solve it. It was just a very thin coat of clear so it might work to rub it out but then again it will probably affect the decals.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #100
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Hi Joel,

So now you have small grey dots mixed with clear on the surface isn't it? Well... that's a big problem, I don't have nothing in mind that put those cowls on caustic soda or brake liquid and then start with them again.

If you have residues in the surface maybe you've should take them with fine tweezers but now is to late because it has been dried.

What I do when I have problems with the brush is to remove all the pieces and clean the nozzle and the tank, and then do some tests to see if water goes out well.

Maybe you should get a new set of decals but a pictures of the problem will help us to get a better idea of the problem.

Bye!
Roca
Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #101
ketje
AF Enthusiast

That's a shame to hear this. I agree on Roca, maybe some pictures will help us.

I think the only thing you can do, other then using some braking fluid, is to sand the whole thing with a lot of water and some very fine sanding paper. Maybe 6000 or 8000. At least I would try it before doing it all over again.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #102
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

It's hard to describe how it looked. It was like very very thin fibres, probably of primer residue but somehow it was on top of the very thin layer of clear that I put on. I can't say that it isn't dry paint powder from the spray booth that came in the air when spraying the clear.

I went over the parts with a q-tip and most of the greyish stuff disappeared. I then coated the parts in one mist and one wet coat of clear and it seems to have worked!!
The decals used are from an old Museum Collection sheet and I was afraid to lose it if sanding. I definately would have if I have had to take out the old brake fluid.

Before putting on the new layers of clear the nozzle and whole front end of the air brush went into thinner and I got rid of the old card board box that has been my spray booth. I'll see if the problems disappear, can't be much other factors can it?

/Joel
Old 09-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #103
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist View Post
It's hard to describe how it looked. It was like very very thin fibres, probably of primer residue but somehow it was on top of the very thin layer of clear that I put on. I can't say that it isn't dry paint powder from the spray booth that came in the air when spraying the clear.

I went over the parts with a q-tip and most of the greyish stuff disappeared. I then coated the parts in one mist and one wet coat of clear and it seems to have worked!!
The decals used are from an old Museum Collection sheet and I was afraid to lose it if sanding. I definately would have if I have had to take out the old brake fluid.

Before putting on the new layers of clear the nozzle and whole front end of the air brush went into thinner and I got rid of the old card board box that has been my spray booth. I'll see if the problems disappear, can't be much other factors can it?

/Joel

Glad to know you've saved the parts. The only thing that I have in mind is to purge the compressor with the filter, I have mine's installed at the exit of the air compressor, don't know if it has anything to do but... I can take a pictures tomorrow if you don't know what I mean.

Be sure to clean completely the airbrush, as you said the parts of the front are important and also the nozzle.

Roca.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:53 AM   #104
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Things seem to have been sorted out, lot of dust particles in the clear though. My usual standards when it comes to painting. I would love a dust free painting environment...
/Joel
Old 09-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #105
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Ok, so I saved the rop cowl, but taking a closer look at the rear cowl I found a lot of black dots on the left side. Can't see where they came from and they weren't visible earlier. They are definately in och benieth the clear and it looks crappy. Tried to get some images but the red is to hard for me to photograph on such a close range.

Brake fluid is one solution but I found another way. Lazy Tamiya provides the 1999 cowls in the 2001 kit, they have just added the new different ones on a new sprue. So now I have a rear cowl glued together and puttied up ready for primer. Before base painting I will do a good cleaning of the modeling table and once again clean the air brush out.

/Joel

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes