Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #16
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: Marlboro Yamaha YZR500 quartet

God damn, have I been sitting in a cloud of paint gas and over spray today...?! Feels like I don't just need a ventilator but a whole protection mask as the residue seems to be clogging my face...

But, to the essentials.

All body panels have been painted red, white or been masked off to be painted both red and white. Had some problems with red paint finding its way undernieth the masking tape. Not so much in the red/white intersection but in some tiny places where I must have missed out on masking tape... I'll try and gently sand the red paint off before clear coating. Panels that don't need to be rubbed or sanded has been clear coated. It's great to see the Zero base paint come to life undernieth some Modelers' Super Clear. Some pics of the progress:

Pictures that follow are with one mist and one wet coat of Modelers' Super Clear;

There are some rims to paint when building 4 kits. I find it pretty hard to acomplish a gloss finish on the rims as there is allways some areas that get misted when wet coating other ones. Here's the team of 8 rims after some Zero Gloss Black wich is not that visible in the picture. I've put on the rubber tyres as well and they are ready for some decalling.

Tomorrow I'll clear coat the rest of the cowls and do some decalling!
/Joel
Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #17
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Just realized that the decal sheet from Museum Collection containing decals for the ´99 and ´00 bikes lacks one set of black stripes that are going from the top of the wind shield and down the top cowl. (Have a look at the ´99 bike here http://www.onetwelvth.com/tips/allma...99%20right.jpg ) The instruction sheet shows stripes on both bikes but perhaps they were taken away on the later races of 2001? I really neew ref pics now so if you can dig out anything from the 2001 races I'd be most thankful.
/Joel
Old 01-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #18
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Found the solution to my own problem, had a Reji sheet for the ´99 bike laying around. Sometimes it is great to be a collector....
/Joel
Old 01-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #19
colbro1973
AF Regular

HI JOEL, coming along nicely there, will you be clear coating again on top of decals. regarding the wheels, I have tried a few ways of clear coating these, sometimes with laquers you do get misting and air bubbles, another technique I used previously was Futur Klear, it takes quite a few coats to build up shine, but is quite effective, also you can use straight onto unpainted plastic.
Cheers
Col
colbro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #20
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Hi guys, time for some updates again.

First to answer your question Col, yes I will be clear coating over the decals.

Today I started decalling the first set of cowls, I chose one of the two 2001 bikes, and among them the late season scheme with the celebration of Max's birthday. I think this livery is pretty cool and I wanted to build it along with the early season scheme since they differ so much and cause I've done the 2003 Biaggi Camel bike with his birthday livery also.

I love this top cowl scheme. In a way it is so damn crazy...

Tomorrow it is time for the other 01 bike.
/Joel
Old 01-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #21
ketje
AF Enthusiast

looking good Joel. Soon you'll have another 4 great bikes to show. Keep it coming.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:36 AM   #22
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Interesting point when viewing the ref pics is that all bikes, from 99 throughout 01 has a shaded front end wind screen but none of the decal producers (not even Tamiya who did the 01 kit as "factory" version) has included such a decal. And we're talking 4 different sheets here. Interesting...
/Joel
Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 AM   #23
barhebraeus
AF Newbie

Nice work, Joel. What are yo using for your clear-coat?

<>< <>< <>< Only dead fish go with the flow <>< <>< <><
barhebraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 AM   #24
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

On these builds it exclusivly Modelers' "Super Clear"
/Joel
Old 01-24-2008, 06:53 AM   #25
barhebraeus
AF Newbie

Joel--do you have a link to a site where I can order the Modeler's Super Clear?

<>< <>< <>< Only dead fish go with the flow <>< <>< <><
barhebraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #26
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Ahh, crap! time to end todays session... Found this ref pic;

and came to the conclusion that he '00 bike didn't have the camera lens in the top cowl as the '99 version did. As I already decalled the piece up I just have to go with a semi true version. Black stripe that is reaching from top of the cowl and downwards was picked out of a Reji 2000 sheet and broke in a zillion (well at least five...) pieces so I had to do a rescue job wich turned out ok. But, I'll just call it a day and catch up with you guys tomorrow. Thanks for looking.
/Joel

Ps. Found a black decal for the wind screen in the ´99 Antenna 3 sheet, that means I just have to find a way with the 01 bikes.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:02 AM   #27
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I tell you, working with these Museum Collection Marlboro decals is like being an archeologist in Stone Henge... I've managed to lay my hands on an ancient and long forgotten path to times when we didn't have the snug decal trims of today. The barrier of carriage film on this sheet is like Bridget Jones' knickers. It is huge. First I thought I was dealing with the kind of decal where you let it set and then remove the carrier film but a look at MC web site I notice that this sheet is the first bike sheet ever produced by them, so the scissors and modeling knife is getting heat stains.
/Joel
Old 01-25-2008, 03:10 AM   #28
ketje
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist
I tell you, working with these Museum Collection Marlboro decals is like being an archeologist in Stone Henge... I've managed to lay my hands on an ancient and long forgotten path to times when we didn't have the snug decal trims of today. The barrier of carriage film on this sheet is like Bridget Jones' knickers. It is huge. First I thought I was dealing with the kind of decal where you let it set and then remove the carrier film but a look at MC web site I notice that this sheet is the first bike sheet ever produced by them, so the scissors and modeling knife is getting heat stains.
/Joel
Look out . You may burn your hands on them.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:11 AM   #29
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Twelve hours of decalling so far, some results are better than others but over all I'm quite satisfied. Merged some images of the top cowls for you so see the change in design from early 99 til late 01. Just realized that the 00 bike lacks the tiny Marlboro logos but they will go exactly where they are on the 99 version.

/Joel
Old 01-25-2008, 05:16 AM   #30
colbro1973
AF Regular

Hi Joel, your decalling is looking great, I admire your patience for this!! are these decals very akward to apply compared to cartograph ones that you get with Tamiya kits, does the micro sol have much effect on them?
colbro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes