Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 02:57 PM   #31
DVS LT1
AF Enthusiast

THE FUNNY THING ABOUT "RACING"...

... is that you hardly ever know what the other guy is up to - unless you're at a stop yapping with the guy next to you and both decide to let'r rip at the green.

I don't think too many people appreciate just how much of a difference it makes when you floor it 1 or 2 or even 3 seconds BEFORE your opponent does. Take two identically fast cars - if you get on the gas a second before the other guy, you're going to be ahead at the end. Right?

And speaking of "the end", have a little common sense: if you're in the middle of a close top speed run with another dude and you all of a sudden BLOW HIM AWAY! - C'man, he's obviously hit his speed limiter, ran out of gears, shut her down, or broken something! Either that or you accidentally hit the spray button and didn't know it/want to admit it.

EDIT: There's times when you want to catch up and race another car that you think is slower, so you drop a gear - not WOT or anything - but you're not getting closer like you think you should, so you drop another gear and now decide to floor it - but you're still not really getting closer as fast as you think you should for the kind of car you've got. Wow, maybe that car was fast?? Well, if that "slower car" floored it 2-3 seconds before you even decided you wanted to play tag, it would sure seem faster than you originally thought.

(And if the other guy was a typical lamer he could brag how he dusted this Camaro on the freeway!)
Old 07-18-2003, 03:02 PM   #32
traubenberg
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to traubenberg
Setting myself up for a fall ...

Quote:
Originally posted by PWMAN
Ford made the 351W a 5.8 because chevy was so famous for a 5.7L. They wanted to be different than chevy of course.
And since the 302 displaced 4.948 liters, that rounds up to 5.0 geniuses. Cutting off at the 4 means truncating, not rounding.
If you take 4.948xxx and simply cut everything after 4.9 off, that's truncating ...I'll agree with that.

However, 4.948xxx CANNOT be mathematically rounded up to 5.0, no matter how hard you try. *Anything* below 5 gets rounded down, anything 5 and higher gets rounded up. In order to round to the nearest tenth of a liter, the portion after the tens place - that is "48xxx" -would actually be rounded down. The older Mustangs are technically 4.9L.

Yes, Ford marketed them as 5.0. Yes, they're (almost) always referred to as 5.0 (five-oh). I have no problem with that. However, your argument that 4.949xxx rounds up to 5.0 is fundamentally flawed. Sorry, but you're wrong.

Like that punk from the Fantastic Four used to say: "Flame on!"
Old 07-18-2003, 03:43 PM   #33
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44
Am I in high school again? Is this fourth period? Mr. Mull, is that you???

Well, if this is math class then that means its time for...

Old 07-18-2003, 03:47 PM   #34
atrain598
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to atrain598 Send a message via Yahoo to atrain598
Red face

Look all Im just trying to say all I hear is crap from the bigblock boys or the guys with their big ol' pickem up trucks sayin jap crap and rice burner. Those "jap craps" will and can unleash some power. End of story!
Old 07-18-2003, 04:25 PM   #35
carrrnuttt
AF Fanatic

Re: THE FUNNY THING ABOUT "RACING"...

Quote:
Originally posted by DVS LT1

And speaking of "the end", have a little common sense: if you're in the middle of a close top speed run with another dude and you all of a sudden BLOW HIM AWAY! - C'man, he's obviously hit his speed limiter, ran out of gears, shut her down, or broken something! Either that or you accidentally hit the spray button and didn't know it/want to admit it.
If you're referring in any way to my post about my race with a Fox-GT on the freeway, those cars, and that car in particular, have NO governors. or speed limiter.

They may have 3.08 gearing, but being built like a brick, and having a VERY tall fifth(0.68) hurts it past it's fourth gear. Top speed in a stock one is actually achieved in 4th.

The 2nd Gen Integra, however, is a bit sleeker, and at the time, my worked b16 had a Y1 tranny with LSD that had a 4.26 final, 0.870 fifth and...did I mention I had a 10,000RPM redline?

Me pulling on the GT top-end was the result of his gearing and aerodynamics catching up(pardon the pun) to him(he topped 4th, maybe), and me hitting my powerband in 4th(YES 4th, 4th topped-out at 130 or so for that car.)

Just so you can see the aerodynamic diference:

Last edited by carrrnuttt; 07-18-2003 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:34 PM   #36
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Setting myself up for a fall ...

Quote:
Originally posted by traubenberg

If you take 4.948xxx and simply cut everything after 4.9 off, that's truncating ...I'll agree with that.

However, 4.948xxx CANNOT be mathematically rounded up to 5.0, no matter how hard you try. *Anything* below 5 gets rounded down, anything 5 and higher gets rounded up. In order to round to the nearest tenth of a liter, the portion after the tens place - that is "48xxx" -would actually be rounded down.

OMG, you need to go back to math class.
Look at the last thing you said, do you know what the tenths place is. .9 would be 9 tenths. .948 would be nine hundred forty eight THOUSANDTHS.
An example- .048 would be rounded up to .1. Explanation: the 8 rounds the 4 up to a 5, and five always rounds up making .048 round up to .1. So 4.948 would be rounded up to 5.0.
You ALWAYS round to the nearest thousandths.
Even your statement proves you wrong. ''*Anything* below 5 gets rounded down, anything 5 and higher gets rounded up'' HELLO? That means the 8 in 4.948 gets rounded up making the 4 a 5. Then the 5 gets rounded up to make the .9 a 1.0. Thus making a 4.948 a 5.0. Now I don't know if you can grasp all that, we'll see.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:25 PM   #37
DVS LT1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: THE FUNNY THING ABOUT "RACING"...

Quote:
Originally posted by carrrnuttt

If you're referring in any way to my post about my race with a Fox-GT on the freeway.....
No...doesn't ring a bell - you blew it away?

I just find it interesting when I come across threads where guys describe how they were racing some car on the freeway at high speeds and then all of a sudden smoked them (its even more interesting when the thread starter asks advice on why he "beat" them so bad).

Like in the case of this thread, the Mustang simply ran out of gears.

As for the olde school 5.0's, we always had trouble getting them up past 220 Kph (I think thats what the old speedo's went to up here).

Gearing is indeed fucked - you want high end, low end? You want to go faster in a lower gear?? Full throttle in my Camaro anywhere between 85 and 145 Mph belongs to third gear.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:46 PM   #38
carrrnuttt
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: THE FUNNY THING ABOUT "RACING"...

Quote:
Originally posted by DVS LT1

No...doesn't ring a bell - you blew it away?

I just find it interesting when I come across threads where guys describe how they were racing some car on the freeway at high speeds and then all of a sudden smoked them (its even more interesting when the thread starter asks advice on why he "beat" them so bad).

Like in the case of this thread, the Mustang simply ran out of gears.

As for the olde school 5.0's, we always had trouble getting them up past 220 Kph (I think thats what the old speedo's went to up here).

Gearing is indeed fucked - you want high end, low end? You want to go faster in a lower gear?? Full throttle in my Camaro anywhere between 85 and 145 Mph belongs to third gear.
Cool. My bad. I thought you were referring to my referral on this thread to that race.

You know what's funny? I went here and calculated my theoretical top-speed. If I had power all the way to my 10,000RPMs in fifth gear, with a good tailwind, my car could top-out at 175.9MPH. Check the link, those should be the stats I calculated, with my gearing and RPMs and everything....
Old 07-18-2003, 08:37 PM   #39
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
If that idiot calls a 5.0, 302,4.9 whatever you want to call it, a big block one more time I may kill him!

Old 07-18-2003, 10:47 PM   #40
carrrnuttt
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by GTStang
If that idiot calls a 5.0, 302,4.9 whatever you want to call it, a big block one more time I may kill him!
LOL. It's actually about 0.7 liters down on what Chevy considers a "small block"...

"Big block" haha....
Old 07-20-2003, 01:44 AM   #41
vbrpete
AF Regular

Hi!

New member here.Boy,you guys really get worked up about the tech stuff!This is good.

Anyheww,a Mustang CAN beat an LS.Or a Vette,a Viper,anything.A Hyundai Pony can beat anything as well.All it takes is the other driver messing up(sometimes BADLY) or not knowing he's involved in a race.

I'd like to know how many members have ever actually hit a dragstrip,as I realize there are large areas of North America that don't even have one nearby.I live within an hour from 2 tracks,both which have seen John Force come out and play.

The track is the ONLY place to make any determination of who kicks who's butt.Period.

Oh,and compared to a 2.0,isn't a 5.0 really the new class of "big block"?I mean,jeez,a 5.7 Camaro is more than three 1.8s,so wouldn't that qualify?What about my 514 cubic inch Galaxie?That's like 8.5 liters,or 4.7 1.8 Honda motors!

ps-don't bother correcting my math,I know it sucks
Old 07-20-2003, 03:29 AM   #42
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Big block Small block has nothing to do with cubes in actuality. It has to do with the cast of the block.

Old 07-25-2003, 01:47 AM   #43
sihondasracer
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to sihondasracer Send a message via MSN to sihondasracer
Re: 4.9L mustangs are slow as ass on the highway!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by atrain598
Ive race a hand full of mustangs with the 4.9L engine and they can take me off the start but if I got one on the highway, see ya later. Im not sure what their top speed is but when im up aound 130-135 their putting on the breaks and givin up. I own a 95 Prelude VTEC with intake and wires and thats about it. I replacing the current engine with the Jdm type S engine. The last engine had too many miles on it 185,000. If anyone has pointers or ideas on the project feel free to let me know.
see i was gonna give you the benifit of the doubt..but its not a typo..you spelld it like that on the title and in the story...nice job..but hey guys maybe all the ones he race were bored/stroked to 4.9
Old 07-25-2003, 02:33 PM   #44
Self
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Self
Quote:
Originally posted by traubenberg

However, 4.948xxx CANNOT be mathematically rounded up to 5.0, no matter how hard you try. *Anything* below 5 gets rounded down, anything 5 and higher gets rounded up. In order to round to the nearest tenth of a liter, the portion after the tens place - that is "48xxx" -would actually be rounded down. The older Mustangs are technically 4.9L.

Yes, Ford marketed them as 5.0. Yes, they're (almost) always referred to as 5.0 (five-oh). I have no problem with that. However, your argument that 4.949xxx rounds up to 5.0 is fundamentally flawed. Sorry, but you're wrong.

Like that punk from the Fantastic Four used to say: "Flame on!"

Holy goodness...I'm a few days late, but this math is by far some of the WORST I have ever seen in my life! lol...What grade did we learn to round in? Third, second? Absolutely HORRIBLE. 4.948 isn't 5.0 when rounded to the 10s place? ABSOLUTE GARBAGE of a computation

Quote:
Originally posted by GTStang
And I'll help you...How DARE he insult the BBC that way!!!
Old 07-25-2003, 03:31 PM   #45
kidrocket
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kidrocket
just depends on how you round

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing