Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Discovery | LR3 | LR4
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
brocsbar
AF Regular

Exclamation Mechanic in need!! won't start after lower intake mistake!

Ok I'm a mechanic 15 years and have my own shop and was doing a lower intake on a 96 discovery 4.0. Put small pieces of paper towels in upper intake to prevent shit from falling in. Made the rookie mistake of putting upper plenum on without removing small 3 inch by 3 inch paper towels out. (easy to do) so naturally they got sucked in the intake valves. After getting a few out with mechanical fingers I decided to take it back off and turn engine by hand until each of the valves were open and got them all out. Pulled plugs and made sure no paper was in there. Put it back together and it wont start... I did try to start it quite a bit before I realized my mistake and when I got the towels out they were fuel soaked. The crank sensor wire was broken so I repaired with butt connectors and checked continuity. Then I put sensor back in. All i can figure is either the crk sensor wires lost connection as i was putting in the crk sensor. OR "wipe-out" where the cylinders become un-lubricated from all the fuel. Although the plugs weren't very wet. But still turns kinda slow even with battery charger on it. This thing is eating my lunch and killing my brain cells. Only codes were p0150 and 1193 o2 sensor. What am I missing. I had battery disconnected and tried locking doors and unlocking with key in case of a security issue. I have to check spark today. But it did start initially and then died after paper towels choked it but i got them all out. Really could use some advice.
brocsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
brocsbar
AF Regular

Re: Mechanic in need!! won't start after lower intake mistake!

It turned out to be the crank wires were bare down by the sensor and were touching each other. Just so everyone knows
brocsbar is offline   Reply With Quote