Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
bingkewl
AF Newbie

408 stroker motor

First off, i say it's a 408 but i believe it's a 400 small block. I bought this baby modified and i'm unsure about it's condition or anything. Looking at it (pics below) you can see that it's a beauty.

The mods are as listed:
bowtie heads,205 and 160 valves,roller cam,roller rockers,super vic intake,750 holley db pumper,150 dome pistons w/pink rods,crowler roller lifters,MSD dist,,built 350 turbo trans w/shift kit,3200 b&m stall.

it's all in a 1974 Camaro. I have a 1978 Camaro with a 350 which runs but atm the interior is getting remodeled.

So i know NOTHING about engines...well i know more than most people but that's not saying much. I know if it's a carburetor and won't start i check for: compression, spark and fuel. But the mods listed above, besides telling you i know they're all inside the engine mods (transmission and MSD distributor) that's about all i know\understand. I know and understand the concept of an engine, how it works. I know what pistons are, what the distributor is, i understand the holly db pumper. as for the rest, beats me.

Now i've gotten myself an engine lift and stand and i'm preparing to remove the 408 out of the 74 and my plan is to remove pretty much everything an inspect it, get a gasket kit and replace them all. From there i'll decide if i wanna drop it in the 78 (which means new transmission and such) or put it back in the 74 and restore that one as well.

let me say again that i have NO idea what i'm doing. i have some friends who've restored engines and done more than i'm considering doing now, but they are hard to get a hold of and harder to get over to help out. As it is, i've been shown how to remove the engine without damaging anything and that's my first step.

What should i get or where should i go to get specs on the 400 small block (if that is infact what i have)? What things should i know\research and where would be a good place to start looking?
any pointers?
really, i know i have a lot to start learning but i'm unsure where to begin.

Thanks for the help.
Carter

bingkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: 408 stroker motor

Nice looking small block, Carter.

First, the most important things are casting numbers. Give us the following:

- Head casting numbers (under the valve covers, they are 6-8 digits... check both)
- Block casting number (on the top rear of the block immediately in front of the tranny flange - again, usually 6-9 digits)
- Block stamp code (in front of the passenger side head on a machined pad)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SBCcastings copy.jpg (93.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SBCcastings2 copy.jpg (69.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
534BC
AF Enthusiast

The front balancer is externally balanced so it is likely that is indeed a 400 rotating assemby. As far as the bore , the block may have 3 soft plugs per side if I remember correctly and also 3-4 bulges at the centerline of the cylinders (viewed in between the soft plugs) OR if heads are removed measure bore size or verify steam holes between cylinders.

Last edited by 534BC; 04-16-2010 at 06:42 AM.
534BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
bingkewl
AF Newbie

Ok. I couldn't find the block stamp code... i see where it should be but it's not there...

the block casting code was on the drivers side...maybe i just couldn't find it, but i looked real good on the passengers side. The only markings on the passengers side was "T6". The only code i found was on the driver side back there. The code is: 330817

both head casting code are 14011034. Between the second and third pistons (front of engine) there are also markings. idk if they're important but the drivers side is: A194
passengers side: A124

Last edited by bingkewl; 04-16-2010 at 08:57 PM.
bingkewl is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical