Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
muzzy1maniac
AF Enthusiast

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

I found there was no How-To on fuel filter replacement on this site so I thought I'd add one. I just got done with it so here it goes:

First off, this was done on my 04 Explorer 4.0l with 29k on it. I've been suffering from the shakes at idle. It seemed to happen after getting gas at Delta Sonic.

Your experience may be different depending on model and year.

Tools:

ratchet
10mm socket
13mm socket
Ford fuel tool
rags
new filter
safety glasses

Step 1:
Pull fuel pump relay #48 and start truck. Truck may run and stall or not run at all.

Block rear wheels and raise front end. Only the passenger side is really necessary. USE JACK STANDS

Locate filter. It's on the passenger side at the front/top of the fuel tank. It has a plastic cover then an aluminum heat shield over it so you won't see it.

#4 remove heat shield. Held on by 3 13mm bolts
heat shield

#5 Remove plastic cover. Held by 2 10mm bolts
Plastic cover

Now you can see the filter.

Remove the hose connections. The output side has a funky metal clip that needs to be slide towards the filter a bit then pushed up to disengage. Use the Ford tool to remove the output side hose. This goes over the filter tube and slide under the hose connection. You'll have to play with it a bit but the basic idea is to slide the tool under the fuel line connection releasing the internal spring and it'll pop apart. This is not fun since there is little room and you are on your back. The input side of the filter uses a different connector. It has a red plastic clip that needs to be undone. It's similar to the plug wire guides. I used nothing more than my hands. Once open gently push the 2 ends up to release the filter. It's kinda like a upside down U.

You know those black caps that are on the end of your new filter? They're great for capping the old filter while your working on it.

Ford Tool

#7 remove filter from bracket
Don't try pulling it out - that sucker is really in there. I used a rubber mallet to tap the filter out.

REMEMBER THIS IS A GAS FILTER - DON'T USE A REGULAR HAMMER!!! Use a block of wood if you have to.

#8 install new filter.
I put a light coating of grease on the new filter to help slide it back in. Should help with removal next time too. Make sure you have the filter in the right direction.

Filter in bracket

Reattach fuel lines. No biggie here - just reverse of removal.

Now is a good time for anti-seize on the bolts for next time.

Put the cover and heat shield back on.

Replace relay

Start truck and check for leaks.

Now here's the kicker. The truck ran beautifully! I only let it run long enough to check for leaks but there were no shakes!
Then I did what I always do to feel better about the busted knuckles and hard work I just put in - I poured the contents into a water bottle...

Damn! That's nasty! Remember I've only got 29k on my girl. How many do you have and when was the last filter change?? Go out and do it now!

1998 Ranger Supercab
4x2 3.0L

Anyone who said There Is No Such Thing As A Stupid Question never worked in a grocery store!

Come visit me on www.faceforums.com
muzzy1maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
xFatcatx
AF Newbie

Re: Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

Good post, pics are always great. Not sure about your year but on my 99 sport the fuel inertia switch is under the glove box located by the passengers right foot. You pull the carpet back and will see a little black box with a red button, slide a screw driver underneath the button and pop it up, then let the truck run until it dies to release the fuel pressure in the lines. Just press the button back down with your finger when your done with whatever your doing. Its the same as pulling the relay.

I was going to change my filter last weekend but I cannot get it off. Both in and out lines to the filter are the quick disconnects (quick my azz). I litterally have sore hands, i tried the tool you have but there was not a small enough size on it, i went and got the plastic clips and still cant get it. 80000miles and im sure its the stock filter, i bought the truck when it had 44,000 on it and it came from Jersey i think so everything is pretty ugly underneath there. I really dont know what to do now other than cut the lines and replace them.....suggestions gladly excepted. this should be a sticky.
xFatcatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

I had similar difficulty with the release clips on the fuel filter of my 2000 Mountaineer. I was about to give up and decided to give it one last try. Well, for some reason it decided to give up on my last try and came loose. I actually think I was trying too hard to get the clips to release. When I didn't try to force the release tool, they lines came loose quite easily.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
xFatcatx
AF Newbie

thanks rod ill try it again. i am pretty buff...........ill go easy on it.lol
xFatcatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
muzzy1maniac
AF Enthusiast

The clips are royale pains. Once the tool is in it's sort of a push pull thing. I had my fingers wedged between the filter and the tool and then pushed the connector then pulled. It's more gentle than you'd think. It's the lack of room to work and our big manly hands that get in the way. It's been a couple of days and I still feel it a bit.

As for the shut off. Pulling the relay seems easier - my .02.

1998 Ranger Supercab
4x2 3.0L

Anyone who said There Is No Such Thing As A Stupid Question never worked in a grocery store!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
marquis00
AF Newbie

yeah on my 01 explorer i had the fuel filter with three connections, two of them being different sizes. it was a pain in the a@% to change out, but advance auto part has a set of aluminum quick releases for twenty bucks that made it alot better than the plastic ones. ohh, nice touch on the pics
marquis00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
muzzy1maniac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquis00
yeah on my 01 explorer i had the fuel filter with three connections, two of them being different sizes. it was a pain in the a@% to change out, but advance auto part has a set of aluminum quick releases for twenty bucks that made it alot better than the plastic ones. ohh, nice touch on the pics
Never seen the triple hoses. Damn - that sucks!

Yeah!!! Stickied!!!

1998 Ranger Supercab
4x2 3.0L

Old 11-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Figured it would do more good here than having to chase it all over the forum.opcorn:

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
realmntwin
AF Newbie

I think it's funny that Ford puts in 10 and 13 mms in things like oil pan/filter water pumps, etc. But on the same car will have 1/2 and 5/8 on everything else to get there like the tensioner or fan shroud.. I think they want us to buy more tools!!
realmntwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #10
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

You can thank Jimmy Carter for bring metric tools to the American assembley line because it all began during his administration. Just another one of our lame governments stupid actions, and you ain't seen nothin' yet.
Huney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
rlalle
AF Newbie

I also have the 3 outlets on the fuel filter,,,i found that PB Blaster helps in removing the filter clips from the line.
rlalle is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac