Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Peugeot > 406
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
GarryLog
AF Newbie

Few Queries about Peugeot 406 HDi 90 Horse

Hello all,

New to Peugeots and to this site.

I've just bought a secondhand 406HDi (90 horse) Estate and over the past few weeks I've noticed a few prolems, nothing serious just niggly

1) When the car is turned off after a drive or even just started and immediately turned off, I've noticed a "whirring" sound that seems to be coming from in or around the base of the windscreen inside the engine compartment. Goes on for about 30 seconds, then there's a click (like a relay) and the sound stops. Anyone know what this is and if this is serious or is it normal?

2)The CD player won't work, Radio is OK but the CD player won't recognise any CDs. Is this a big fix or am I better off putting in my own unit (if so can I order a panel to cover up the dead-space).

3) Parked on a hill (tail facing downwards) lately and when I went to drive off the fuel guage was stuck at low. Only rectified itself after I filled the car. Is this a regular thing???

Many thanks
GarryLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:42 AM   #2
GarryLog
AF Newbie

Re: Few Queries about Peugeot 406 HDi 90 Horse

Just another quick one,
I got a low Oil warning at the same time the fuel guage stuck and have got it again when parked on a kerb (only about 3 inches high). Is this something to worry about??
GarryLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
betuaintgotthis
AF Newbie

Re: Few Queries about Peugeot 406 HDi 90 Horse

I dont know about the whirring noise (i noticed the 307 1.6 HDI does it to tho) i think it may be some kinda purge valve but if its the same noise i think it is it's normal. but i may be able to help with the others.

With the radio i personally would just replace the head unit. you should be able to pick up a surround from a place like halfords, ebay etc and shouldnt cost more than £20.

The fuel guage is not measured by the normal float as you would expect but estimated by the computer. This is the reason why a small amount of fuel put in to the car ie 5 litres may not register on the gauge. by parking on a hill you confuse the computer in to thinking that it has less/more fuel than it actually does. If in doubt park on the flat and switch off ignition for a few minutes and start up again.

With your oil level i personally would check it manaully as 3" aint much of an angle. although i doubt its below the minimum mark when on a flat surface.

Craig
betuaintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Peugeot > 406