Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
idjikaity
AF Newbie

AC compressor replacement on 2001 Taurus/Vulcan

Could anybody describe a detailed procedure for replacing the A/C compressor on 2001 Taurus with a 3.0L Vulcan engine (any references would be also helpful...) ? I have the Haynes manual but the procedure there is not detailed enough to me. It seems that I have to remove the PS pump to get to the compressor, or the passenger side cooling fan, but the Haynes manual does not mention them.
Should I also replace the Accumulator, or not necessarily? I have heard some people writing that it has to be done, while others say that it is not necessary...
Thanks in advance!
idjikaity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: AC compressor replacement on 2001 Taurus/Vulcan

How are you sure that the A/C compressor is a problem? If the compressor is truely shot, you will want to replace the accumulator/receiver/drier since bits of the piston rings are likely partially plugging the accumulator. However, Ford compressors don't fail all that often, and yours is still pretty new.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
idjikaity
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
How are you sure that the A/C compressor is a problem? If the compressor is truely shot, you will want to replace the accumulator/receiver/drier since bits of the piston rings are likely partially plugging the accumulator. However, Ford compressors don't fail all that often, and yours is still pretty new.

-Rod
You are almost certainly right. I had very cold air until the AC compressor pulley seized and my serpentine belt broke. Although I was able to bypass the AC compressor with a 66.5 in belt and the car now runs, to have an AC I need to replace the clutch assembly. I would like to keep the AC compressor because I think it is fine. However, as far as I can see when I look at the compressor+clutch+pulley, it is impossible to replace the clutch assembly without removing them (as one unit) out of the engine compartment. This is one problem, - I do not know how to do it, and the Haynes manual is not detailed enough to me. What is more, I will have to disconnect the low/high pressure lines from the compressor. So the whole AC system will be open to air, and in such a case I heard I should replace the accumulator as well. Could you give some advice on these problems (or references/links)?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

You're correct, the factory service manual (for the 2002 model year anyway) states that you need to remove the compressor to change the field coil and clutch. It also suggests replacing the evaporator core orifice as well as the accumulator.

The steps to remove the compressor include removing the power steering pump. There are a lot of diagrams in the service manual steps. If you send me a Private Message with an e-mail address for you, I'll e-mail you a PDF of the steps from the 2002 service manual. I do not have the 2001 service manual.

-Rod
Old 07-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
idjikaity
AF Newbie

Thanks very much, Rod! Just received the PDF files with detailed instructions for replacing the compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube! I hope I am able to do it, because the summer is out there, and without AC it's kind of unpleasant...
Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
idjikaity
AF Newbie

Again I need your advice. One of the steps of the replacement of the AC compressor is to disconnect the pressure line of the PS pump and replace its O-ring seal with a new one. Do you know what kind of seal it is and where I could buy it? Mine was damaged to such an extent that it is impossible to figure out its shape. One can only say that it's kind of plastic rather than rubber and its relatively thin.

Do you think if I put there a standard O-ring (mostly rubber) it will decay under the influence of power steering fluid?

Thanks in advance!
Yuri
Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

You'll probably have to swing by the local parts store and see if they will sell a seal kit, or you might need to stop by your local Ford dealer.

-Rod
Old 08-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Injunb
AF Newbie

Hi I am having this same problem and was hoping to get the same PDF file if thats possible. I also was wondering how much parts ran you?

-Josh
Injunb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
idjikaity
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injunb View Post
Hi I am having this same problem and was hoping to get the same PDF file if thats possible. I also was wondering how much parts ran you?

-Josh
If Rod does not mind, I can send you those files by e-mail. send me a request to idjikaity@yahoo.com
Old 08-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
idjikaity
AF Newbie

Quote:
You'll probably have to swing by the local parts store and see if they will sell a seal kit, or you might need to stop by your local Ford dealer.

-Rod
I found that a teflon tape works fine instead of this teflon ring. And the teflon tape is much easier to put it around the thread and as a string in the ring's place. There is a lot of work to put the teflon ring in place, and some special tool is needed for that.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by idjikaity View Post
If Rod does not mind, I can send you those files by e-mail. send me a request to idjikaity@yahoo.com
I don't mind one bit, as long as you don't charge them for the information.

-Rod
Old 09-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
idjikaity
AF Newbie

Quote:
I don't mind one bit, as long as you don't charge them for the information.
-Rod
There is no question about charging for the info that was so kindly shared with me by you. Rod (Thank you again!). I did not even think about that...

I just started another thread, but since you and other people still read this thread, I would like to post my question here as well:
-----------------------------------------
I seem to have successfully replaced the clutch on my AC compressor, recharged the system and now everything seems to work fine, except that the AC compressor engages when I turn just the blower motor on, namely when I set the switch in the bi-level position (marked with arrows going to legs and face). Can this happen because I put too much R-134a in the system? Does anybody know how to properly check the pressure in the system by using that AC manifold pressure gauge (with the red, blue and yellow hoses) that one can rent at Autozone?
Thanks in advance!
---------------------------------------
Could you please give me some advice here?
Old 09-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
shorod
SHO No Mo

Often the bi-level position is floor and defrost. I'd have to check the flow from the service manual. If it's using the defrost position, it may also be engaging the AC compressor as part of the defrost.

-Rod
Old 03-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
Shane1978
AF Newbie

How do I remove the connectors in the AC line?
Shane1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
shorod
SHO No Mo

Welcome to the forum!

Are you referring to the spring log connectors that Ford has used for several years? There are tools for these which can be found at most parts stores and even some of the larger Sears stores. You need to be sure the system has been evacuated first though.

-Rod

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon