Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > KA
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
Bill_H
AF Newbie

KA 1.3 Power steering problem

Hi, all - just looking for a bit of experience with anyone who has worked on a 1.3 Endura Engine KA power steering.
The problem is intermittent, it works OK most of the time but occassionaly the power assistance stops working. I suspect the pump, took the drive belt off but pump seemed OK - no bearing trouble or siezing apparent.
So 2 questions.
1) Is the pump likely to be the problem? If so I could try replacing with one froma scrap yard, but cant see how to get the pump pulley off. So.....
2) How does the pully come off? I presume it just unscrews by twisting the pulley while holding the centre shaft with a Hex wrench. - But is it a LH or RH thread?
Manual does mention a special tool, - are thse easy to obtain?

Thanks and I appreciate any help here.
Bill_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: KA 1.3 Power steering problem

If you pull one from a scrap yard the pulley will be on the pump. I think its pressed on look on the pulley for a machined groove to put a puller. It should have a hole in the end for a tool to thread in and put the pulley on. Normally you can remove them with pulley. Otherwise ask Auto Zone or Advanced to loan you a pulley and buy a rebuilt pump. They might do this for you in the store.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
Bill_H
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply on this.
Its now fixed, and worth poting here as it may save someone a whole lot of grief!
It turned out to be the UJ in the steering column seizing up.
Incredible that it could tighten up enough to affect the power steering, the clue came when the steering wouldnt centralise without effort after taking a corner.
Applied a good soaking of WD40 and it was instantly fixed, and has remianed so for a couple of months!
Bill_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
carpenter13
AF Newbie

i replaced my rubber hoses and refilled my fluid. i got my powersteering back. why does it make a whinning noise and its still hard to turn alittle bit. 2006 impala. i did not bleed the system. does that have to be done. thank you to whoever can help me
carpenter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Normally you have to turn all the way both directions a couple of times. Then recheck fluid level. If you changed the rack more times.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > KA