Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #31
vintshave
AF Newbie

Question Re: A/C doesn't go on at all

Update for the folks that are following this thread.

Added 5 of the 8 oz of oil into the compressor and the rest into the accumulator (hope that was right), put the whole shebang back together again with new O rings. Did I do it right? No clue yet - never done it before. Used Ester oil because I heard that PAG and old mineral oil systems don't mix. Tomorrow I'm donating more to the cause and spending $115 on a vacuum pump. Yeah I could get the cheap HF thing, but it would take too long to get here and I'm getting tired of being greasy. I'm going to evacuate the system and see if it holds a vacuum. If it does, I load 'er up!

Any advice before I dive in would be welcome.
vintshave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #32
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: A/C doesn't go on at all

did you not read how much oil I said to put in the compressor?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #33
silicon212
Confoundingly Lucid

Send a message via ICQ to silicon212

Less oil in the compressor would have been ideal, but it will live. You made the right choice in your oil selection. Good luck and Godspeed.

Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have.
silicon212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #34
vintshave
AF Newbie

Well, I think I have less oil in the system overall now. I found a leak in the system. It is leaking from the threaded fitting which is (I believe) coming from the condenser and continues to the firewall (I don't know what to call this line). It is next to the battery and is the bottom-most steel line. I loosened and retightened this a few times and it just didn't feel right - like it wasn't screwing all the way in. I had changed the O ring on this fitting but I don't think it is tight enough to compress it and so it is leaking. It appears that replacement would involve a new evaporator and a new line running to the firewall. This is getting very expensive and I would like to just get that fitting to stop leaking.

I am VERY open to suggestion here.

Last edited by vintshave; 05-14-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: incorrect word
Old 05-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #35
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintshave View Post
Well, I think I have less oil in the system overall now. I found a leak in the system. It is leaking from the threaded fitting which is (I believe) coming from the condenser and continues to the firewall (I don't know what to call this line). It is next to the battery and is the bottom-most steel line. I loosened and retightened this a few times and it just didn't feel right - like it wasn't screwing all the way in. I had changed the O ring on this fitting but I don't think it is tight enough to compress it and so it is leaking. It appears that replacement would involve a new evaporator and a new line running to the firewall. This is getting very expensive and I would like to just get that fitting to stop leaking.

I am VERY open to suggestion here.
the line from the condenser to the evaporator would be the line which has the orifice tube[screen] in it . did you replace the screen. did you connect the correct line to it. normally you screw the nut and hold the line firmly from rotating .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #36
vintshave
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
the line from the condenser to the evaporator would be the line which has the orifice tube[screen] in it . did you replace the screen. did you connect the correct line to it. normally you screw the nut and hold the line firmly from rotating .
This is the line directly below it. It goes from the condenser to the firewall. It is not the line with the orifice tube in it. I believe it is the "cold" line.

Yes, I tightened it as you suggested above. Maybe the threads are messed up, but I can get it really tight and it still leaks - mostly out of the side of the line with the O ring. I just don't think that it is compressing the O ring sufficiently.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #37
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
This is the line directly below it. It goes from the condenser to the firewall. It is not the line with the orifice tube in it. I believe it is the "cold" line.

Yes, I tightened it as you suggested above. Maybe the threads are messed up, but I can get it really tight and it still leaks - mostly out of the side of the line with the O ring. I just don't think that it is compressing the O ring sufficiently.
you did buy the O ring kit ? you cannot reuse these parts. replace the line O ring .
Old 05-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #38
vintshave
AF Newbie

Quote:
you did buy the O ring kit ? you cannot reuse these parts. replace the line O ring .
I did replace it. It just isn't screwing down tight enough.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #39
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I did replace it. It just isn't screwing down tight enough.
what can occur is if you used a tool that will crush the threaded nut you will have this effect. only use open end wrench NO PIPE OR VICE GRIPS ETC...

also you could have cross threaded the fitting which is hard to do but I guess possible if not careful.
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
vintshave (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #40
vintshave
AF Newbie

Smile Re: A/C doesn't go on at all

Quote:
what can occur is if you used a tool that will crush the threaded nut you will have this effect. only use open end wrench NO PIPE OR VICE GRIPS ETC...

also you could have cross threaded the fitting which is hard to do but I guess possible if not careful.
Finally got it tight and it is not longer leaking. Vacuumed the system and charged it. Ahhh....cool air :-)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
air , conditioner , fuse , power
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice