Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #106
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002
Re: FOUND - McLaren F1 Replica!!!!!

Wingfield D Type replica? As close to a genuine D Type as it's possible to get unless you buy a continuation Jaguar built one.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:59 AM   #107
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25

I'm not saying that it isn't possible to accurately recreate something. I simply disagree with the practice of creating fake examples of precious items.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #108
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

As long as you openly admit it's a recreation and you're being hones about what it is then I don't see anything wrong in it but then I may be biased having spent a good part of my adult life building replicas.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #109
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25

That's the majority of the problem - very few replica owners are forthcoming about the origins of their creations, whether built or bought, preferring to attempt to fool everyone else while doing the same to themselves.

It is an especially large problem whereas in the case of a car like Ferrari's legendary 250 GTO, the fakes far outnumber the real ones and people try to bend reality with the ones that happen to be based upon the chassis or borrowed components of some other hacked up 250-series model. I don't give a pass to those cars any more than I would one based on a Fairlady Z.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #110
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Fully agree that any one trying to pass a replica off as real needs to be dealt with, As a rule almost all replicas will fall short in some way and I would be the first to admit that. To me the pleasure is in the building process. I generally sell them on after a short time driving usually just to make sure everything works as it should. At my age though starting another just is not an option.I respect you greatly Eric and certainly do not want to let things get out of hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbuilder2002 For This Useful Post:
AJTomlinson (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #111
AJTomlinson
AF Newbie

I have always had a special spot in my life for the F1. The idea that you can take 2 mates, not 1 but 2, on a road trip to a track in Europe (Spa etc) with luggage and not worry about visibility through the different countries due to that center seat just is.... special.

As I am a mere mortal working class individual with a modest income, a genuine example of this piece of automotive engineering mastery will always be beyond my reach (recent one sold for just shy of 13M).

But when you look at E-types, D-types and cobras, as stated before, they have had a strong replica following for decades. Even Ferrari's and Lambo's have a replica following.

However, if an F1 kit would become available, around the same as I would spend on a Cobra replica (maybe a little more), then I would hold off and get the F1.

My view of a replica is it should look as close to the real thing as possible (external, interior and engine) and I would try to fund it that way.

Alas, I don't have the knowledge (I can tighten bolts and follow instructions) nor the facilities to attempt a build myself so I would have to rely on a pro kit maker or custom car builder to produce one.

If a custom kit ever becomes available you can bet I will be one to sell the wife to get one!
AJTomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:14 PM   #112
F1natic
AF Newbie

How about a car that is more a recreation from an alternative universe? What if Honda had supplied the large capacity V12 engine for the F1 project? I too have been bitten by the F1 bug at an early age and am quite motivated to make a roadlegal low volume vehicle for myself, but it is challenging on so many fronts.

Carbuilder, did you ever nut out the windscreen issue?

Recently there has been the Brough Built effort from South Africa, quite an interesting BMW V12 and Audi transaxle attempt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIMh-kXNTC8

Last edited by F1natic; 04-25-2020 at 06:38 PM. Reason: speeling mistake!
F1natic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #113
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Yes aquired a windscreen last November but it was a long protracted journey.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:56 AM   #114
F1natic
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuilder2002 View Post
Yes aquired a windscreen last November but it was a long protracted journey.

Impressive effort - I take it perseverence is the key? Is it laminated glass with standards approvals - such a critical element to have in hand so that the bodywork cn be built around it. I am building in NZ and unfortunately the last manufacturer of automotive windscreens decided not to keep up their certification so I am left with no domestic options - and I don't like the idea of shipping a very unique and expensive windscreen!
Old 04-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #115
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Yes laminated with full UK type aprovals, was actually made by Pilkington at their Italian factory surprisingly so they shipped itall thje way from there to UK with no damage whatsoever. Cost was £995 inclusive. The risky poart is yet to come, that of building a frame to fit without breaking it.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:36 AM   #116
F1natic
AF Newbie

That sir is an absolute bargain! Henry Catchpole said the genuine article was 15K GBP. Recently I read that Mclaren were remaking a batch of glazing for spares for the fleet. I believe the original glasswork was done at St Gobain in Aachen, Germany. Was your screen a piggyback off the remake batch, or is it a custom one off just for your project? I am years off from making a carbon fibre body (the Americas cup guys just up the road from me are too busy building racing boats at the moment!), so my first stage is just a chassis test mule.

Also did you include the cutouts in the leading corners as per the GTR spec?

The nature of laws protecting manufacturer rights have changed as far as replicas are concerned with the Sema replica law allowing designs older than 25 years to be copied. Also the Mclaren F1 patents have now expired and are public domain, meaning we can persue our design goals without infringing anyones IP. However the technicalities of the F1 drivetrain make for some steep challenges so good luck to anyone who tries.

Last edited by F1natic; 04-30-2020 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #117
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

I actually did not ask for a McLaren windscreen I gave them a load of dimensions and a tolerance that I could live with think it was +/- 10mm on widths and +/- 20 on depth and can't be sure but seem to recall +/-5 on curvature mind it did take them 10 months from placing the order and payment up front. Adding those cutouts would have increased the cost disproportianatley so will just have to live with the lack of the cutouts. My timescale is diminishing rapidly as I retire in 2 years and the funds dry up so having to make sacrifices in acuracy, it hurts but I need to see it finished.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #118
F1natic
AF Newbie

That is the problem with a big project like these - although time spent in detail design saves a lot of costly errors from parts not fitting- time marches on relentlessly and physical strength diminishes. I am about 4 years behind where I thought I should be until I had a turning point and I decided this is just an expensive hobby with no results for decades, then hopefully something to be proud of at the end. Like Danie in SA with his LM replica.

Like you I have spent years working out how to fit everything into the envelope of the shell, which is very compact to say the least. I am making a road car since I do not have the budget to go racing and some of the decisions to achieve my project mean super lightweight is not the foremost consideration.

My final design weight with 84 kg driver and 60L of fuel onboard is around 1360 kg, with 540ish engine horsepower and 688Nm of torque. Weight balance is 45/55 due to the fact that I run 2 x 3.5L Honda J35 engines transversely just behind the passengers - that is my big compromise in authenticity because I wanted 7L "V12" capacity with natural aspiration. I also didn't want to have the engine and transaxle hanging out the back, even though that is the certainly the most logical, practical and timely way to get a reliable result.

Did you see my PM?
Old 03-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #119
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Second bout of Cancer and 1 year in Covid lockdown has reduced my available time available to complete to 1 year now so unlikely to get to drive it, currently owes me about £25,000 may get it to running chassis stage but bodywork will be up to the next owner.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #120
Broshnat
AF Newbie

I have only just come across this thread. I have been collecting various real F1 body panels over the last few years and could take moulds from them if this is something that anybody would be interested in.

Last edited by Broshnat; 04-06-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Broshnat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1