Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
imabballer
AF Newbie

disable passlock

I Am Wondering If Anybody Knows How To Completely Disable Passlock On My '99 Alero. I've Looked For Bypass Modules But The Only Thing I Can Find Are Ones That Let Remote Start Work. I Want One So I Can Put The Key In The Ignition. I've Had Problems With The Passlock Since I Bought The Car Used About A Year Ago. Usually I Could Wait The 5-10 Minutes And Start It Right Up, But A Couple Days Ago It Got Much Worse And I've Only Been Able To Get It Started Once In About A Million Tries. Where I Live The Dealer Wants $450 To Fix It And I'd Love To Find Something A Little More Affordable.

Thanks,
Ryan
imabballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:27 AM   #2
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: disable passlock

You know, this question has been asked a bunch of times on here. I am not too sure if you can bypass it totally because I do not know what's the actual cause of your problem. If it is the transponder in the ignition lock, then yes you could bypass it but if your problem is in wiring or the BCM, no.

You can use an alarm or remote start bypass. Just hook it up the way it states but leave the trigger input unhooked. Once you find that everything is correct, start the car with the key while triggering the bypass. Then, cut the wires off of the car's security and wire it directly to the bypass. Then, use the keysense wire as the trigger for your bypass. That way, when it "sees" a key being inserted, it knows to activate and send out the code. This of course is if you are using part number 555L from Directed Electronics. http://directed.com/guides/manuals/i...N555I_4-02.pdf
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
imabballer
AF Newbie

I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP AND I MIGHT TRY THAT. BUT I NOTICED THE LINK YOU GAVE WAS THE 555i FOR A ACURA OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. WHEN I LOOKED UP THE MANUAL FOR A 555L I COULDN'T FIND IN THE MANUAL WHERE IT HAD A KEYSENSE WIRE. IS THERE A DIFFERENT WIRE TO CONNECT ON THE GM??

THANKS AGAIN,
RYAN
imabballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:36 AM   #4
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabballer
I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP AND I MIGHT TRY THAT. BUT I NOTICED THE LINK YOU GAVE WAS THE 555i FOR A ACURA OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. WHEN I LOOKED UP THE MANUAL FOR A 555L I COULDN'T FIND IN THE MANUAL WHERE IT HAD A KEYSENSE WIRE. IS THERE A DIFFERENT WIRE TO CONNECT ON THE GM??

THANKS AGAIN,
RYAN
Whoops! No, none of them have any keysense wires per say. It's where you would use the keysense wire of the vehicle to trigger the 555L. Now, you don't have to use a 555L, there are others out there from other makers too. I just like it because it self learns the needed code. Remember, I have no idea if any of this will even work especially since that you already have problems now.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
block3
AF Newbie

It's probably to late to answer this question, but what the hell. $450 is a really high estimate to fix this, I could put a new lock in an program it for less than half of that!

I run into this problem all the time, 99% of the time it's just the connecter in the back of the ignition lock not making good conact. Take it to a locksmith and have them check the connector, it can probably be repaired without replacing any parts. It takes less than 2 minutes to remove that lock and check it.

And NO, there is no tranponder on these systems.
block3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
techbob
AF Newbie

I just spent 600$ today to try to solve the same problem on my 99 intrigue. The service advisor said it has been a major problem with the aleros and the intrigues. The ignitions and passlock systems are identical. I am going to submit my bill to gm in hopes that they will reimburse me in some kind of way. Obviously there is a major manufacturer defect here and something needs to be done about it. I,ll keep you posted to gm response. If enough people complain maybe something will get done.
techbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:50 PM   #7
jamcllw
AF Enthusiast

It's a nice thought but nothing will ever happen from it. Just about every 3.4L v6 put in a myriad of GM vehicles have had the lower intake manifold gaskets go out and GM has done nothing about it. It was so bad at one point that the manufacturer of the gaskets couldn't keep up with the demand and they were on a nation wide backorder. And now all the people that bought the final 500 Alero's won't be getting the dash plaques that they were promised by GM. They've cut all funding from the now defuct Olds line and don't give 2 shits about the people that own them.
I had a friend with an Alero and had the LIM gasket leak destroy his engine at 58000 miles. Gm told him they couldn't do anything to help him out but they were going to give him a discount if he wanted to buy a new car from them. That just made me sick. The Alero I currently own will be the last GM vehicle that I will ever own. They don't stand behind ther products and could car less about there customers.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:34 PM   #8
dzhali
AF Newbie

Re: Re: disable passlock

I found out simple way to disable the passlock1 prmanently. I did it on my Cavalier 96 and it works so far.
You can use it if ocasionally you are still able to start your car. All you need to do is to start the car (with your semidefective passlock sensor), and then disconnect the three wires plug (wires that run from the lock cylinder to the instrument panel) from the instrument panel while engine is running.
Engine will start the next time without any passlock "authorization", but "theft system'" light will stay on. If you do not like it, you can remove LED from the instrument cluster board.
I am not shure if the disablement will work after battery gets disconnected. Possible, that you may repeat it all over.
dzhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
clouser
AF Newbie

On my 1995 chevy s10, I believe the passlock as shut down on me. It is a pin connector under the dash I take out when I leave my truck. After sitting a month it would not start. I have relaced the battery, starter, nuetral safety, and ignition swith. No luck. I followed the wires and 1 went to the coil, and 1 went to the distibutor. Is there anything I missed? I even used the original key. Also when I go to the starter itself it will spin but ever with the key on it will not start. Today I replace the relays and checked the fuses. Still nothing.
clouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhali View Post
I found out simple way to disable the passlock1 prmanently. I did it on my Cavalier 96 and it works so far.
You can use it if ocasionally you are still able to start your car. All you need to do is to start the car (with your semidefective passlock sensor), and then disconnect the three wires plug (wires that run from the lock cylinder to the instrument panel) from the instrument panel while engine is running.
Engine will start the next time without any passlock "authorization", but "theft system'" light will stay on. If you do not like it, you can remove LED from the instrument cluster board.
I am not shure if the disablement will work after battery gets disconnected. Possible, that you may repeat it all over.
That system is different than the newer ones like this Alero and yes, if your car's battery goes bad and you replace it, the car will not ever start again until it sees the proper code.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
Old 03-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouser View Post
On my 1995 chevy s10, I believe the passlock as shut down on me. It is a pin connector under the dash I take out when I leave my truck. After sitting a month it would not start. I have relaced the battery, starter, nuetral safety, and ignition swith. No luck. I followed the wires and 1 went to the coil, and 1 went to the distibutor. Is there anything I missed? I even used the original key. Also when I go to the starter itself it will spin but ever with the key on it will not start. Today I replace the relays and checked the fuses. Still nothing.
There is no security system that's OEM on your truck. If you have a little key pin you install under the dash it was installed by the dealer and usually those are just a starter kill. So, if it turns over but doesn't start you have something else going on.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
Old 05-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
fntv0242
AF Newbie

There's a thread for 2002 Aleros that tells you the steps to disable passlock. I have a 2004 Alero that was doing the same thing as your car. I followed the steps and completely disabled my passlock. It starts fine now with no delay in turning over and no hassles with Passlock locking my system down. Search for the 2002 Alero passlock thread and a guy named Raycorri gives the steps. The steps that I followed are also below.

Start your car, put the emergency brake on, and put the car in neutral. Remove the bezel around the radio and A/C keeping all wires attached and try to position the bezel so it hangs to the passenger side. You will also have to pop the bezel off around the gear shifter to maneuver the parts. Take the screws out of the radio and let it rest to the passenger side. Do not detach any of those wires either. The ignition wires are to the left. There's a black, white, and yellow. The yellow is the passlock wire. Cut it and tape both ends. Your security light will come on immediately and stay on every time you drive your car. It's a little tricky trying to maneuver all the molding and stereo, so take your time and don't get frustrated. I think I broke two clips on the bezel. It still went back together fine, though. It took me about 30 minutes to 45 minutes. Crank the A/C to keep comfortable!

In the future, you might still have to get it fixed. However, make sure you have a fresh battery in the car before you disable the passlock system. That way, by the time you have a dead battery which can lead to your car not starting at all anymore once you replace it, it will be time for a new car anyway. In any event, you are greatly delaying the need to take it to the dealership, and it's going to cost you about the same amount of money anyway.
fntv0242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
aaronlturner
AF Newbie

Disable Passlock 2001 Alero

I joined this forum simply to put this up there for people to see. I am by no means a car whiz or claim to have a great vast of knowledge about mechanics. I am just a guy with a small tool set and a little bit of common sense who got tired of my wife complaining that her car wouldn't start and had to wait for 10 minutes to reset her stupid security system. What you need to disable the Passlock system in a 2001 Alero is a set of star bits, a 9/32 ratchet bit and ratchet with an extension, electrical tape, wire stripers,needle nose pliers, and about 45 minutes. Make sure your car is turned off. I literally just finished this about an hour ago.

Steps:
1. Use your star bits and remove the 3 screws underneath your steering column and pop the two halves apart. Take the top half off (I tried to get the bottom half off for a few minutes and gave up, but I was still able to do it with the bottom half on.)
2. Take your 9/32 bit and take the 2 screws off of the black plastic around your instrument cluster and take that off. Carefully take the wiring harness off of the trip reset button.
3. Still using the 9/32 bit remove the 4 screws around the instrument cluster and remove it and set it on the dash to get it out of the way.
4. By now you should be able to see the ignition cylinder on the right with 3 wires coming out of it (should be yellow, black, and white) and they are all pretty small and should be wrapped in some kind of black tape cloth like stuff. Take your needle nose pliers and gently tug on those wires and expose as much as possible. They should be kind of wrapped around and then disappear towards the stereo. You will only get about 6-7 inches of wire to play with. Remove the cloth tape and cut the yellow wire and the black wire. Make sure you leave enough room in case you mess up you can easily fix it. I am pretty sure that the white wire here controls the theftlock on the stereo but am not sure.
5. Strip the wires on the side away from the ignition cylinder and splice them together (I went ahead and stripped both sides just in case this didn't work or stopped working later I could easily fix it back.) Use your electrical tape and wrap it up real good.
6. Try to start your car. When I tried to do this the security light came on and it wouldn't let me start it. I had to go through the 10 minute relearn process. Once the process completes you should be able to start your car just fine, but notice that the security light is on and will stay on in your instrument cluster. I was able to start my car 4 or 5 times and drove it a little bit with no problems at all other than the security light being stuck on.
7. Place the wires back inside and reverse the first part of this and you should be good to go.

I tried just cutting the yellow wire, but when I did that the car would star them immediately die.

I hope this helps somebody out there. We were about to buy a new car just because of this freaking security system. I am not sure why GM hasn't done some kind of recall but as far as I can tell this is going to work.
aaronlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #14
chuckhotrod
AF Newbie

You can cut the yellow wire to disable the passcode 2 system but the car must be running at the time, the system will go into a malfuction mode and remain on when you drive the car but it will never give you issues again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chuckhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero