Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > General Discussion
View Poll Results: what?
best cars made 24 40.00%
worst made 7 11.67%
they ok 24 40.00%
im indeifferent 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 11:47 PM   #31
TerminalVelocity
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerminalVelocity
well, I do have to say the DMC12's muffler bearings must be redone, they dont mix well with the blinker fluid drip into the air torque converter.

Solid Crew (Circa 2002)
TerminalVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 01:15 PM   #32
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by TerminalVelocity
well, I do have to say the DMC12's muffler bearings must be redone, they dont mix well with the blinker fluid drip into the air torque converter.
No way, Ted!
Old 07-20-2002, 06:43 PM   #33
duat
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Deloreans

From strictly a reliability standpoint, they're junk. I know, I own one.

The problem is removing the emotional attachment many owners have, the majority of who seem to be youngsters who crave the attention.
The car's looks may be distinct and thanks to Lotus it handles decently, but its a piece of crap otherwise. Poorly built, high maintenence, gutless, an electrical nightmare, I could go on and on. One must love it to own it and thats the problem. Remove this bias and its a piece of junk compared to many other cars of its era.

Pour money into it becomes reliable enough (barely), but the design
and build quality as it came from the factory is atrocious. It's a cult car, plain and simple, appealing to emotions. As a decent daily driver or a performance vehicle, it's a joke.

It is fun to drive though but that comes from ego, not good car design.
duat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 12:53 PM   #34
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Re: Deloreans

Quote:
Originally posted by duat
From strictly a reliability standpoint, they're junk. I know, I own one.

The problem is removing the emotional attachment many owners have, the majority of who seem to be youngsters who crave the attention.
The car's looks may be distinct and thanks to Lotus it handles decently, but its a piece of crap otherwise. Poorly built, high maintenence, gutless, an electrical nightmare, I could go on and on. One must love it to own it and thats the problem. Remove this bias and its a piece of junk compared to many other cars of its era.

Pour money into it becomes reliable enough (barely), but the design
and build quality as it came from the factory is atrocious. It's a cult car, plain and simple, appealing to emotions. As a decent daily driver or a performance vehicle, it's a joke.

It is fun to drive though but that comes from ego, not good car design.
Hey duat! Good to see your $0.02 here

Everything is relative.

With my first DMC, I followed the trend of keeping the car "concours". This led to a hate of the car. Things that needed improvement had to be replaced with the same flawed parts, and keeping it original to please others was just plain stupid.

With my current D, I just do whatever I want. I am so much happier, and since the total $$$ put into the car is less than the cost of a new Kia, I am even more happy :jump:

Let me put it this way:

my DMC= $3,000
Diablo= $200,000

Both offer me the same amount of fun, and I just saved myself $197,000. Pretty damn cool if you ask me!
Old 07-24-2002, 04:24 PM   #35
TerminalVelocity
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerminalVelocity
thats my point of my car, it isnt a Cobra, but it sure is fast and fun

CHEEP GOOD!
DIABLO BAD!

Solid Crew (Circa 2002)
TerminalVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 03:11 PM   #36
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

What it boils down to is this:

The DMC is just as reliable as a Lambo from what I hear. I just bought a new Chevy for $30K, and even that needs servicing... so I'm left to wonder if anything is really reliable. Even Hondas break down! So why not save all the $$$ you can? Liquid assets are much more important than depreciating liabilities. I cringe when I hear "I invested $____ in my ride!". Cars are not investments. They depreciate, and tie up your money. If you need to liquidate your car fast, it is worth about half of what you think it is! Your bank account, on the other hand, is the best thing to "invest" in. If you need to cover an emergency or start a new company, then just withdraw the $$$. If you own a Diablo or '03 Cobra, what can you do? Take out a mortgage on the car? NO Buy an Old & Busted DMC and have fun with it! Get rid of any car that requires you to tie up your cash. And most importantly: :bonghitte
Old 02-10-2003, 08:42 AM   #37
dirk-diggler
Banned

Re: Re: Deloreans

Let me put it this way:

my DMC= $3,000
Diablo= $200,000

Both offer me the same amount of fun, and I just saved myself $197,000. Pretty damn cool if you ask me! [/b][/quote]

How dare you compare that poseur sports car to a real sports car,
that delorean is so cheesy they could not even make the whole unibody out of stainless steel, its fiberglass with stainless steel on top, that's like sticking aluminum foil on the body panels of a corvette and stating that the car is alluminum. If you ask me that delorean is just a chevette with a restyled body!
dirk-diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:13 AM   #38
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Re: Re: Re: Deloreans

Quote:
Originally posted by dirk-diggler
How dare you compare that poseur sports car to a real sports car,
that delorean is so cheesy they could not even make the whole unibody out of stainless steel, its fiberglass with stainless steel on top, that's like sticking aluminum foil on the body panels of a corvette and stating that the car is alluminum. If you ask me that delorean is just a chevette with a restyled body! [/b]
Well, if you want a car with a 100% stainless steel unibody that's fine with me, but I'd rather not have something that weighs 5000 lbs

WTF is wrong with fibreglass...it's light, it's strong, and it won't rust. Why do you think Lotus uses it?

Also, true, the DMC by far doesn't match the Diablo for performance or exculsivity, but it will usually attract close to the same attention, and with the $197,000 you save you can make a DMC into one hell of a sports car.

Now if you don't like Deloreans, fine, but don't come in here and start bashing the cars and people's choice to buy the car.

Old 02-10-2003, 03:22 PM   #39
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

Deloreans are one of the top 10 greatest cars on my list. However, I would never compare one to a Lamborghini. The DeLorean is in pretty much it's own league, and IMO, leads the pack of 80's sports cars. Another good thing is the designer, John DeLorean, the same guy that deisgned my car. He knows what he's doing.
SuPeRcAr_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 07:00 PM   #40
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Once again, dirk-diggler demonstrates his never-ending vault of vast knowledge and technical know-how Say hi to RedNeck for me, OK?

The glass-reinforced composite "frame" is better than metal. It will never rust, is repairable with a frame alignment jig & welder and even weighs less than steel. Nowhere has it ever been claimed that the DMC is constructed entirely out of stainless.

Now I suggest you come back when you have something worth posting. Flaming will not be tolerated... I know you've been warned about this issue before
Old 02-11-2003, 02:45 PM   #41
dirk-diggler
Banned

Ok, ok I'm real sorry, I din't mean to enflame anyone or bash your cars, its just that as an Italian and Lamborghini lover I was enflamed and offended myself that someone would actually say that the Delorean was just as good as a Lambo, so they started it first DMC12! You guys got equally offended when I compare the Delorean to the Chevette too.:frog: forgive me I just know too much
Old 02-11-2003, 08:30 PM   #42
Heep
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Ok, ok I'm real sorry, I din't mean to enflame anyone or bash your cars, its just that as an Italian and Lamborghini lover I was enflamed and offended myself that someone would actually say that the Delorean was just as good as a Lambo, so they started it first DMC12! You guys got equally offended when I compare the Delorean to the Chevette too.:frog: forgive me I just know too much
Well, for future reference, if you feel flamed or offended let us know, don't flame back. Flaming back just stokes the fire and people get banned.

And no, I wasn't offended when you compared the DMC to a Chevette.

Old 02-12-2003, 11:06 AM   #43
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Heep
I wasn't offended when you compared the DMC to a Chevette.
Well, I'll go as far as admitting that you can COMPARE any two cars, but saying the DeLorean is IDENTICAL to a Chevette... now that is just
Old 02-12-2003, 03:47 PM   #44
dirk-diggler
Banned

DMC12:Well, I'll go as far as admitting that you can COMPARE any two cars, but saying the DeLorean is IDENTICAL to a Chevette... now that is just

How come you can compare a DeLorean to a Lambo but you cant compare a Chevette to a DeLorean? They don't look IDENTICAL but the DeLorean has some similar cues to the Chevette, I had a Chevette for my first car years ago and I have the shape of the car memorized from all the times I washed it, and if I just had two very large and powerful magnets I could stretch the chevette and then get a really fat woman to lay down on it's roof, it would look just like a DeLorean, am I right?
except it would get all rusty. Gee I hope I am not flaming anyone with this Idea, and I apologize in advance if I am, really, I don't mean any harm, I mean it's just a car! ok? I think the Delorean was a great car, when they first started coming out I was like WOW! a stainless steel car!! no more rust repairs to the chevette, I'm getting one of those! and then I saw it and I was just let down because I thought it was 100% stainless steel, you know all the ads for the car said "the first stainless steel car!" and you know, I just went down to the dealer and I was like expecting so much, that when I found out it wasn't 100% stainless steel well, I was just shocked and really let down. But I do like the car! ok?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:00 PM   #45
Heep
AF Fanatic

Quote:
How come you can compare a DeLorean to a Lambo but you cant compare a Chevette to a DeLorean? They don't look IDENTICAL but the DeLorean has some similar cues to the Chevette, I had a Chevette for my first car years ago and I have the shape of the car memorized from all the times I washed it, and if I just had two very large and powerful magnets I could stretch the chevette and then get a really fat woman to lay down on it's roof, it would look just like a DeLorean, am I right?
He just said that you CAN compare a Delorean to a Chevette....

If I took a couple big magnets and stretched out a Toyota ECHO it would look just like a GS430...