Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

2000 3.8-Neutral SftySw-Is this the shaft?

Hi, all.

I am a mommy newbie who has been working on "Big Burgundy" (my Windstar's name) all by myself. I have camped out in these forums and with all the knowledge I have learned from you all I have managed to replace spark plugs,fuel filter, starter, alternator, battery and a list of other things all by myself! THANKS!

Now...on Christmas Day my CEL came on I had already bought an Actron OBDII scan tool and was kind of excited that now I finally get to use it but doggone it I was worried too! It was the code (I can't remeber it now as I sit here and type) for the Transaxle Range Sensor/neutral safety switch (p07075 or something).

I bought a new one and it is waiting to be put on. I saw the video that was suggested here: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...+safety+switch and figured OK, easy.

In the video he did not talk about a lever to get off 1st (photo1 below). I finally got that off with about 1/2 can of WD40 and 12 hours of letting it sit. Now I get to this piece (photo2) that is currently sitting under more WD40 waiting for an answer from you all on what to do. Is photo2 (below) the actual SHAFT that I need to pull the switch of off? I cannot pull the switch off as it stands now. I will try tomorrow after the WD40 soaks in overnight. I have already assumed it was another nut and tried to remove it. AARRRGGHH! Now the Switch has twisted and not lined up and my PINK nail polish marks have worn away with the WD40.

I know I need an alignment tool - if there is such a thing to help me get it back together.

Have I messed things up? Please Help!

photo1

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/3435jj/12_28_0.jpeg

Photo2

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/3435jj/12_28_1.jpeg
WindstarMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Re: 2000 3.8-Neutral SftySw-Is this the shaft?

The sensor should just pull off. You might need to pry it gently to get it to come loose. You can get by without an alignment tool. Be sure the vehicle is in neutral. There is a little line on the center white section of the sensor. There is a corresponding line on the outside part of the sensor. Line these marks up, in neutral, and tighten screws.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2old View Post
The sensor should just pull off. You might need to pry it gently to get it to come loose. You can get by without an alignment tool. Be sure the vehicle is in neutral. There is a little line on the center white section of the sensor. There is a corresponding line on the outside part of the sensor. Line these marks up, in neutral, and tighten screws.
Thank You, way2old! The underlined above in your reply helped me out a lot! I will be giving it a try tomorrow. I am glad to know that photo2 is the shaft.

All of the parts on my van are original and whoever had it before me did no repairs obviously. Apparently they traded it in (in 2006) just before all this crap I am doing to it needed to be done. Thank goodness I am handy with a wrench and have you all.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on all the work you've done! I can count with the fingers of my hand the number of women would do the same.

I remember seeing several times that the users had to break the original sensor in order to take it out, when they put the new one in they had no problem and the alignment marks way2old told you about worked perfectly to get the job done.

Best regards,

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olopezm View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on all the work you've done!
I can count with the fingers of my hand the number of women would do the same.

I remember seeing several times that the users had to break the original sensor in order to take it out, when they put the new one in they had no problem and the alignment marks way2old told you about worked perfectly to get the job done.

Best regards,

Oscar.
Thank you so much Oscar! That made me feel good about myself

I was just laying here thinking I might have to break that darn piece off! I will see what it is doing in the morning.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 3.8-Neutral SftySw-Is this damaged?

Hi, all.

When I went out this morning, I noticed that the white piece around the shaft was cracked (link below) I didn't notice it yesterday.
cracks==> http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/3435jj/12_29_0cracks.JPG

So I continued to crack the piece up to get the switch off and noticed that the shaft is sooooo rusted up==> http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/3435jj/12_29_1.JPEG

I am just going to continue to chip away at it until I get the piece off.

Have I done any damage? ==> http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/3435jj/12_29_2.JPEG
Old 12-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
mark_gober
AF Regular

I don't believe so. That shaft simply sits in the white part and turns the switch. I replaced mine when I replaced my tranny and I didn't have similar problems. You have nothing to worry about. (although since you're dismantling an electrical switch, it may be wise to disconnect your battery until you have it out.)

Mark
mark_gober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

No problem!

Have you managed to get it out already?. If not I think it might help to put the van in neutral, I'm very sorry I didn't post this earlier; I've never replaced any...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...&highlight=trs

By the way, this will boost your attitude up to the skies:
You've worked more on your van than any other guy in my neighborhood, besides me of course LOL. Here people calls the technician to get a light bulb replaced...

Best regards,

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Hi, Mark & Oscar. This thing was a *&%$# to get off ==> http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/3435jj/12_29_3.JPEG

I got it off by using a Craftsman super long and thick flat head and a hammer! The rust was atrocious!

Oscar you are a sweetie pie, but don't get me geeked* just yet. I am having an even harder time getting the new piece on, LOL!

This shaft is no joke (photo before I cleaned it)==> http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/3435jj/12_29_4.JPEG

I will work with it again tomorrow.

*geeked - an 80s term that means big head, feeling of pride, props, LOL! after fighting with that new switch all day I have NONE of that (just kidding) And yes, I still use the word geeked!

Oh, and Oscar the Lincoln Town Car will always be my favorite sedan car choice. I rented one in 1991 for a year (don't ask) and fell in love with the comfort of it. The only bad thing at that time was the shocks or something with the back end of it. I guess they've improved on it by now.

Last edited by WindstarMommy; 12-31-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
mark_gober
AF Regular

That is a nasty little shaft you're dealing with. Mine came off lickety split when I did it. I think a small wire brush and about 5 minutes would do a world of difference on that shaft. You can pick one up at probably any parts store for around $2.

The good news is that with a crappy looking switch like you've got, you're most certainly onto the culprit.

BTW, EXCELLENT job posting pictures of each of the stages of your project. Many newbies have a hard time knowing exactly what we are discussing. Good pictures goes a long way in the future.

Mark
mark_gober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Hi, Mark. Thank you.

That photo fo the shaft was actually before I started to clean it. I am off to the store today to get some rust cleaner/remover if there is such a thing to finish the cleaning. I forgot that there were two grooves along the sides of the shaft that needed to be cleaned also. When I cleaned the shaft with the wire brush I probably pushed more gunk into those grooves...

...off I go.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
MARZBX157
AF Regular

BTW, you should put some anti-seize lubricant on the shaft before putting on the new switch. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Hi, MARZBX157. Great suggestion! I went out and bought some this afternoon.

After letting a vinegar and baking soda solution sit overnight ==> http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/3435jj/12_31_0.JPEG

and after wire brushing I came out to find that the grooves were STILL totally filled with large amounts of rust. ==> http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/3435jj/12_31_1.JPEG

Sooooo, I made another b.s. & v. concoction to let sit overnight last night (night #2). This morning I cleaned and cleaned and scraped the grooves down with the tip of a pointy knife to get it super clean.

I forgot to get a photo of the shaft after I got it superclean but...the piece finally went on! ==> http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/3435jj/12_31_4.JPEG

But now I am scared to go and actually see if Big Burgundy will start & go

If this piece is on wrong what will happen if I try to put her in Drive or even try to start her?
She is still sitting in neutral with the key in the ignition and a cinder block under her back tires. I will not touch her until I hear from one of you all...
sooo, I patiently await and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Last edited by WindstarMommy; 12-31-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

UPDATE (since post above)

I just went ahead and connected the battery cable and decided to just go ahead and see what happens.

First, I put her in PARK.( so much easier to do this now)
Second, I started her up
Third, I noticed the O/D OFF light was on and so was the CEL, still.
Just for the heck of it, I connected the scan tool and got code p0708 (high circuit input)

Did I do something wrong? I was reading somewhere that I should put the car in neutral and start it, then what?

I await...
Old 12-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
northern piper
AF Enthusiast

I think you should be fine. I've replaced the NSS on my 2000 3.8 and you've done a great job of the repair!

I think you should connect up your code reader, clear the code, then start. If you've still go the van on blocks and it's safe to do so, you could go thru the gears to make sure it's fine. I'd expect it is and on the odd chance that it isn't the shift of the transaxle will be ok but the electronics will be the messed up part. On the NSS there is an identifying mark for installation and assuming you lined those marks up, the alignment tool Ford refers to is not necessary.

I think you're 99.9% there. Make sure you get all the connectors reconnected and vac lines too.

Let us know how you do!
Muskoka Canada
northern piper is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alignment , neutral , safety , switch , trs
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar